What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

franklin2323

Immortal
As I remember it, it was a Bryce Cartwright that largely won us that game.

I still don’t understand the Luai off the bench idea, he was far worse there than he was at 5/8 for us. All his better games were at 5/8.

if you’re going to consider past games, why ignore the ones where he played terribly off the bench?

Did you see his kicking game yesterday? Very ordinary. I don't see him as a half but we need what he brings somewhere in the side

Did you see his kicking game yesterday? Very ordinary. I don't see him as a half but we need what he brings somewhere in the side

There’s 5 teams that only have one main kicker.

Apisai can do a little, if Burton plays at centre he can do some. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

78E4CAA1-2A20-4439-AD0B-3FF8F38379FC.jpeg 0DB856FD-6AFB-4FED-A5E5-50462A8B2847.jpeg 35359B74-8E56-4D77-95B7-D43631DB030C.jpeg 6B84721A-574B-45F2-B010-E64FD062A69A.jpeg E8E7F3E8-34E4-4DF3-B941-AD0480FA9AC2.jpeg

franklin2323

Immortal
Well he did just spend 2 years behind Maloney getting very little match practice in some weird bench utility role. No one had an issue with him before that.

I have said for a while he isn't a half. I had hope the test for Samoa or any of those 3 NSW Cup games would show what others saw. It was weird to sign a guy to be replacement 2 years away and have no plan for him

mxlegend99

Referee
Let’s look at another correlation

Luai has played 6 games in the halves for us, and we’ve won 5 of those.

if having one kicker is so detrimental, wouldn’t it be worse?

View attachment 33964
The only thing that matters is if we are more or less likely to win with a player.

Who gives a f**k why we are more likely to win with them so long as we are? Luai in the halves has a pretty good record as this shows.

On that note if we arent winning with him then we clearly look at our next option.

franklin2323

Immortal
Let’s look at another correlation

Luai has played 6 games in the halves for us, and we’ve won 5 of those.

if having one kicker is so detrimental, wouldn’t it be worse?

View attachment 33964

A few points

Not like we had top opposition any of those games

Warriors have an ordinary record over here when it is 7.30 kick off probably due to 9.30 local time.

Roosters/Manly were Origin depleted. I don't think we beat either if Origin guys played.

Parra.. Flat track bullies. Greasy night. Was 2 tries all so hardly carved them up.

GC got the spoon. Brennan's last game as coach says all you need to know about how they pl

Only one of those games were with Cleary.
Maloney had a similar record with Peachey who is far from a half.

I am going back I can't remember a side that made the Grand Final with only one kicker... Which should be the aim.

The 4 games he started this year we scored 74 so not even like it brought extra points in

A few points

Not like we had top opposition any of those games

Warriors have an ordinary record over here when it is 7.30 kick off probably due to 9.30 local time.

Roosters/Manly were Origin depleted. I don't think we beat either if Origin guys played.

Parra.. Flat track bullies. Greasy night. Was 2 tries all so hardly carved them up.

GC got the spoon. Brennan's last game as coach says all you need to know about how they pl

Only one of those games were with Cleary.
Maloney had a similar record with Peachey who is far from a half.

I am going back I can't remember a side that made the Grand Final with only one kicker... Which should be the aim.

The 4 games he started this year we scored 74 so not even like it brought extra points in

You miss the point. You’re making dire predictions that halves must be able to kick, but the facts don’t back you up. Several teams operate with one kicker, we’ve won plenty of games with one kicker.

You can go into each game and come up with excuses for why your theory still holds weight, but if your theory truly did hold weight I wouldn’t be able to give you all the examples I have.

You just played yourself with your Tyrone Peachey example too. That literally proves my point. The secret can’t be James Maloney, because other teams win plenty of games with only one kicker.

Also, we’re not making the grand final anytime soon. There’s nothing to say Luai can’t improve his kicking before we’re competitive enough to do so.

But the idea teams aren’t making the grand final because they only have one kicker is ridiculous. There’s heaps of factors in teams making the grand final, you can’t boil it down to such simplicity.

You’re totally overthinking this kicking thing.

Last edited: