What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Wizardman

First Grade
wrong d***head, the top 150 paid players is a published list, published in the Telegraph, and the figures are taken from the NRL. The links have been previous posted in this thread, and this subject has been discussed many times.
The cutoff was around 400K, so any Souths player making more than that is on the list.
Typical rookie - get off your arse and do some research before looking stupid
I like your style.....accurate and a realistr

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Somehow i dont think so, who would play FB,this croft leaving will free up money, in the end we will see,i hope there are other options
Latrell would play fb, Niu at centre. After re watching that cutout looked forward but still. Confident play

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
Somehow i dont think so, who would play FB,this croft leaving will free up money, in the end we will see,i hope there are other options
Latrell would play fb, Niu at centre. After re watching that cutout looked forward but still. Confident play
Niu Defense could be a concern

big hit!

Bench
Yeah, but that's not the way to look at.

The way to look at it is to look at the committed salary going forward, not the "savings" when someone doesn't resign.

When this article was written in May, if the figures were correct, Souths had only $2mil to spend on another 16 players - if they signed Reynolds

You also need to factor in that since this article, Souths have resigned the 6 young'uns', I'm not sure how many of them count to the cap, but Taafe definitely would, and possibly Mamazuelos as well.

And now we have also signed Milford, it wasn't announced how much. Milford is still gonna be paid $1mil because he is still under contract with the Broncos, but instead of the Broncos footing the whole bill, we will now be paying some of this. The speculation is that it is around the 300K mark.

People say, "oh we got him cheap", "he isn't on much" etc etc.
But add Milford (say 300K), Mansour (say 200K), these little bits all start to add up.

The final thing I'm gonna say about all this is that its easy to say, "Souths stuffed up their cap" but it's not so straightforward.

Firstly, many seem to forget the salary cap was reduced by about 600K for this year, and next year - this decision was made only before the start of the season. When you've got guys already signed and on the books, and then after this you are told you're money is reduced, it creates a salary crunch - that's not the club's fault. And that takes time to sort itself out - only by expiring contracts.

Secondly, during this period, some contracts got upgraded like Latrell, Tatola, and the 6 young guys. Is anyone saying we should not have given Latrell more money to stay?

Thirdly, maybe the club didn't actually want to keep Gagai, or Sua, or even Reynolds beyond the expiry of their current contracts and planned it all along.

Fourthly, there's at least one contract due to end next season - Cody Walker - are we gonna keep him? If so, we are not only going to need to put money aside for him, but we might have to increase his salary because if we don't, some other club definitely will.

That's not to say the club hasn't made mistakes, in my opinion.

Cartwright is a straight out mistake - don't know his money but it would be about 250-350K. He is a dud, and should never have been signed.

Knight was a mistake but this one is easy to say in hindsight. At the time he resigned, he was in career best form, and had knocked back higher offers (rumored to be around the 500K mark from Parra) to stay with us.

Tatola resigned for 3 years - I would have only offered him 2, but you risk him walking away, without a lot of decent props available on the market.

Mansour is IMO another mistake, but the club doesn't seem sure about Paulo just yet.

Moga is a waste but he is off the books at the end of the season.

Arrow could be a big mistake. The club got him for 850K for 4 years. They panicked after Sam's retirement, and Arrow was available and in top form in a shit team. Is he worth it? Time will tell, but I reckon that is a lot of money to be paying a bench forward. He is more on the bench than he is a starter, and when he is on the field, it's not like your jaw is dropping down saying how good is he.

So far, Benji and Milne are working out well.

So it's easy to criticise the club, but so far I think they are doing ok, aside from these mistakes above. And my own personal preference that we should have kept Adam Reynolds.

Yeah, Arrow has always been a head scratcher, particularly considering Souths already have one of the best #13s in the game, and Sele is an excellent rotation.

Arrow is a 13 and it seems like the club has over-invested in this position now. I'm putting it down to Wayne, tbh.

callmack1

Staff member
NRL to consider moving GF to New Zealand as crowds get green light to return in QLD: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eba93543b9dfafe178e0df55bd8eeb66

Ummmm, yes please!!!! IF Souths made it and IF it was played over here in NZ, it would literally be the best thing ever! We'll see what happens.

Cartwright shares his story as Souths get serious about mental health: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...ious-about-mental-health-20210806-p58glq.html

Well done to Jed and the club.

handyman2190

Bench
Sam burgess getting paid 15k a week by souths, to do nothing!
Here is 1 of the reasons the club is gun shy of giving 30year olds long contracts, in a game were 1 and 2 year deals are comonplace, we have 30 year old asking for 3 year deals as insurance policies.
Personally i think its a mistake offering all 30year olds 1 year

Wizardman

First Grade
Im not sure if you guys caught up with the Sunday Matty Johns Show but if you didn't, speed up to 2:38:06. Hindy made a comment that he felt like Mario Fenech.....he clearly looked regretful after he said it and the segment cut. Keen to know your thoughts?

Jim Rockford

Bench
Im not sure if you guys caught up with the Sunday Matty Johns Show but if you didn't, speed up to 2:38:06. Hindy made a comment that he felt like Mario Fenech.....he clearly looked regretful after he said it and the segment cut. Keen to know your thoughts?
Haven't seen it but if it was Hindmarsh then it would be safe to say that the comment was moronic. The guy is a massive joke.

southsport

First Grade
Mario is not supposed to be in a good way but I don't have any details.

Latest posts