1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2021 season

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Whino, Nov 13, 2020.

1. maple_69

maple_69 Bench

I think we’ve managed Leota’s development really well. He’s had some great mentors to learn from, he’s had the luxury of playing off the bench for a long time while he irons out his game and now he gets to start in a stacked pack, next to a top 2 prop in the game and if he isn’t motivated enough, the best young prop in the game is now on the bench and very likely to be starting quality before the year is out.

I hope our attack makes the necessary steps to allow our guys a bit more leeway to take risks (eg offloads) rather than playing so tight. That will allow Leota to really bring that aspect of his game out.

Seems like a real good human so I’m swinging for him!

Pomoz, CCJohnC, Whino and 2 others like this.
  2. Blade23

Blade23 Juniors

Moses is a good egg. Always has a smile on his face and always puts in the hard effort in training.
    He has a done a lot of extra work over the past few years. To make the grade and to better his game. He mightn't be the flashiest forward playing the game but he always tries hard.
    I am expecting a big year from him.

3. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

He is coming into his best years, given front rowers tend to be at there best in the 25-30 age bracket so hopefully for our sake he really steps up.

4. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

Maybe a replacement for Baz.

5. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

He was my favourite forward in the lower grades. When he scores a try, the crowd goes absolutely crackers, and so does his team mates.

Blade23 likes this.
  6. Blues Riff

Blues Riff Bench

7. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Bench

8. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

I love Mose. I can’t wait to see how he goes with Fish this year. It’s his time to shine.

Blade23 likes this.
  9. Pomoz

Pomoz Juniors

Geez, that promo had me pumped. I wanted to get my boots on and head to Jamo Park and play footy with my mates. I spent many a hot Sunday afternoon there getting sore feet and sore knees. In summer that ground is harder than Mark Geyer with a flick knife.

22 juniors developed at the club, what an achievement! Gus is like Vegemite, but 22 juniors is his legacy (besides the inaugural premiership of course!). When he arrived all we could get was the likes of Ciraldo, Armit, Shackleton and Weston. You cannot buy the spirit that a bunch of juniors growing up together will have. Unlike most of the Rooster's juniors, they have a connection to the area the club is based in. It means more when you are in front of your own crowd.

"Now, they can see us coming".........

Blade23, CCJohnC, Kilkenny and 3 others like this.
  10. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

22 juniors isn't the ideal way to run a club but its the best way Penrith can being in such a location

11. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

I guess it depends on the quality of the juniors.

Even juniors no longer with us are adding value to the clubs they go to, Daine Laurie will demonstrate that at the west’s Tigers.

12. Smug Panther

Smug Panther Juniors

Just don't see it as sustainable but I could be wrong

13. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

There are concerns around our continued and on going investment in junior development.

Personally I think it is imperative we continue down such a path, as we’ve never really achieved any long term success as a result of recruiting so called marquee players.

CCJohnC and Jane Murray like this.
  14. snickers007

snickers007 Juniors

I can't believe you have besmirched the good name of Dayne Weston like that.

I loved that dude.

Fangs and Pomoz like this.
  15. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Always love it when someone posts a name from our past history.

We really have been blessed in recent times, yes no GF victories but we have enjoyed some pretty Decent seasons.

CCJohnC likes this.
  16. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

Ours aren't going to go backwards. Other Academies are starting up and means others will catch us BUT means there will be better quality to poach

WestyLife likes this.
  17. Pomoz

Pomoz Juniors

You answer your own doubts with your first post.
    Penrith has limitations in attracting players due to lifestyle, location and history. We are forced to pay a premium. We have a massive catchment area with huge numbers playing league. It would be stupid not to use that to our advantage.

The Roosters have access to huge amounts of sponsors and potential third party deals. They have a rich history with a glamorous lifestyle on offer and a close proximity to the beaches. They would be crazy not to use that to their advantage. To give credit to the Roosters, they also put plenty of emphasis on development of players. They do it a bit differently because they can't get many juniors from their local area because people don't really play league there. They look around the country for the best talent they can find and put them in their junior teams. Not too different from us getting Yeo from Dubbo.

It is interesting to note that the Roosters were pretty rubbish in the 80's and 90's until a certain P Gould went there and rebuilt their junior development and recruitment....

Jane Murray likes this.
  18. Original Name

Original Name Juniors

All the successful teams develop the majority of their players. Development is the path to success. People meme the Roosters but Radley, Manu, Tupou, Collins, Gus (he was a Roosters before he was a Rabbitohs) all went through the development system. We develop differently to the Roosters and the Storm but you're nuts to try and and win a premiership primarily on recruitment of established players. You have to young guys playing on ability above their contracts.

Storm had that last year with guys like Tino on f**k all.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  19. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

The problem with junior development is highlighted by the roosters more than anyone. I can't get my head around how they can consistently throw big dollars at juniors. Just this year they have splashed $500,000 plus for sualli with the line up they already have, plus big dollars for Kaiviti Silktails poached from rugby. That is a lot of dollars for reserve graders, but it seems to occur every year. Roosters poach next wonderkid! Is an article I am sick of reading.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Jane Murray likes this.
  20. BxTom

BxTom Juniors

And then they claim they are under the salary cap because players take unders to play for them. More likely a lot of third party agreements from several of Uncle Nicks unlisted companies.

Jane Murray and kinghippo like this.