What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Crowd Watch

We tend to expect that the cowboys crowds from 1995 & those early years ( averaging 20K) should still be happening but of course the world is very different now. There was no pay TV until 1997 & no one should under estimate the impact that would have on attendances in a set up like Nth Qlds today where its fan base of about 500K is spread out over a 700km or more area.

We seem to forget that 35 years ago there was only 2 of 6 games on TV , one on Saturday afternoon at 3pm on the ABC & the other a replay on Sunday evening on one of the commercial stations , they've all covered RL .. 7 , 9 & 10.
( Hell im told in the regional areas if you got any commercial TV at all you got the Sunday game on Tuesday night haha)

So if your side wasn't on TV the only way you could watch them was at the game live . Yet, in an era where you don't have to leave your living room to watch not just your team but every game of the round for a small fee ... our attendances are almost double , thats double what they were back then.
Pretty fair effort I'd say.
( i'll say its no coincidence that about 35 years ago the era of big purpose built rectangle venues began & thats the biggest contributor to this increase in crowds... better facilities ... i know , i know that discussion doesn't belong here )

jim_57

Staff member
Similar to Newcastle

Except Newcastles crowds are way better
Newcastle is more than double, close to triple the population of Townsville and get supporters from Maitland, the Hunter region and Central Coast. It is also within 2 hours of little old Sydney for away supporters.

Cowboys easily the best per-capita.

EuroNymous

Juniors
predictions this week

St George v South Sydney 14k
Manly v North Queensland 10k
Melbourne v Brisbane 21k
Cronulla v Gold Coast 8k
New Zealand v Penrith 5k
Parramatta v Sydney 21k
Canberra v Newcastle 11k
Canterbury V Wests 15k

Dark Corner

Juniors
Was wearing my Roosters top in Tynemouth UK and some nice person came up and said he was a Rugby League fan as his dad is from Bondi and we got talking but what pissed me off was he said when he lived in Bondi all he got at his work was free tickets for a Friday night game ?
I replied that it was the hang over of the Super League war.

Dark Corner

Juniors
What I'm getting at is that you never get free tickets for Football in England be it my area Newcastle and even Sunderland who are 2 divisions down, so why for Rugby League in Australia as it is a high profile game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What I'm getting at is that you never get free tickets for Football in England be it my area Newcastle and even Sunderland who are 2 divisions down, so why for Rugby League in Australia as it is a high profile game.
Because unlike main sports in other cities around the world it doesn’t have a very large active supporter base for the number of clubs crowded into the city.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Thought but the manly crowd would be bigger it felt bigger than the warriors game is all. But it’s fine for a 6pm game against an out of town team albeit a very good one.

Valheru

Coach
Will the dragons be able to pull their fingers out to at least get 2 big home games a year at the new SFS

Their brand is too big to become the Steelers based in a regional town

I've said it multiple times...

Roosters, souths and dragons should play each other twice a year every year at the new SFS from next season. Give reciprocal rights to the away members for each game. The exception would be ANZAC day which sells out or close to on its own merit.

I doubt there would be a crowd under 25k for such an arrangement unless severe weather or a dog shit time slot. I would consider adding west's to the arrangement as they traditionally get good crowds at Moore Park.

The extra 2 (or 3) games at the venue would allow roosters and souths to take more games to other places like Gosford etc. Whilst still maintaining a full 12 game schedule at the SFS for their members. In the dragons case they would be able to sell 4 games at the SFS to their Sydney members whilst still having 10 other games to split between the gong and kogarah as they see fit.