What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Crowd Watch

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I've said it multiple times...

Roosters, souths and dragons should play each other twice a year every year at the new SFS from next season. Give reciprocal rights to the away members for each game. The exception would be ANZAC day which sells out or close to on its own merit.

I doubt there would be a crowd under 25k for such an arrangement unless severe weather or a dog shit time slot. I would consider adding west's to the arrangement as they traditionally get good crowds at Moore Park.

The extra 2 (or 3) games at the venue would allow roosters and souths to take more games to other places like Gosford etc. Whilst still maintaining a full 12 game schedule at the SFS for their members. In the dragons case they would be able to sell 4 games at the SFS to their Sydney members whilst still having 10 other games to split between the gong and kogarah as they see fit.
Mate that is way too logical for the NRL to consider

I would expect the week after the SFS opens to a sell out

Souths running second last will be scheduled to play the Titans at 6.30pm on a Sunday night

Will draw 8k .. and media the next day will scream "white elephant"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl have responded quickly to their falling crowds with a month of feee kids entry and adverts promoting it on fox. With tv now paying so much I dont understand why both codes dont make it free for kids under 16.

Dark Corner

Juniors
I've said it multiple times...

Roosters, souths and dragons should play each other twice a year every year at the new SFS from next season. Give reciprocal rights to the away members for each game. The exception would be ANZAC day which sells out or close to on its own merit.

I doubt there would be a crowd under 25k for such an arrangement unless severe weather or a dog shit time slot. I would consider adding west's to the arrangement as they traditionally get good crowds at Moore Park.

The extra 2 (or 3) games at the venue would allow roosters and souths to take more games to other places like Gosford etc. Whilst still maintaining a full 12 game schedule at the SFS for their members. In the dragons case they would be able to sell 4 games at the SFS to their Sydney members whilst still having 10 other games to split between the gong and kogarah as they see fit.
No No No Dragons have 3 grounds is mental just like West Tigers having 4 grounds 10 years or so ago but I like the idea of the SFS and Gong but not Kogarah any more.

Valheru

Coach
No No No Dragons have 3 grounds is mental just like West Tigers having 4 grounds 10 years or so ago but I like the idea of the SFS and Gong but not Kogarah any more.

In the dragons case I just see it as a split between Sydney and gong albeit 2 venues in Sydney. Their biggest drawing games at SFS and a couple of others against cowboys, storm etc. at kogarah. I think there will always be a sizeable element within the dragons membership base that would expect at at least 3 games at kogarah and be willing to give away their membership if it doesn't happen.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the dragons case I just see it as a split between Sydney and gong albeit 2 venues in Sydney. Their biggest drawing games at SFS and a couple of others against cowboys, storm etc. at kogarah. I think there will always be a sizeable element within the dragons membership base that would expect at at least 3 games at kogarah and be willing to give away their membership if it doesn't happen.
Should be 9 games at win if govt agrees to fund a new stand and souths, roosters and eels at sfs every year.

Coastbloke

Bench

Kogarah games need to be Sunday arvo games against traditional rivals (Eels, Dogs, South’s)

Canard

Immortal
We tend to expect that the cowboys crowds from 1995 & those early years ( averaging 20K) should still be happening but of course the world is very different now. There was no pay TV until 1997 & no one should under estimate the impact that would have on attendances in a set up like Nth Qlds today where its fan base of about 500K is spread out over a 700km or more area.

We seem to forget that 35 years ago there was only 2 of 6 games on TV , one on Saturday afternoon at 3pm on the ABC & the other a replay on Sunday evening on one of the commercial stations , they've all covered RL .. 7 , 9 & 10.
( Hell im told in the regional areas if you got any commercial TV at all you got the Sunday game on Tuesday night haha)

So if your side wasn't on TV the only way you could watch them was at the game live . Yet, in an era where you don't have to leave your living room to watch not just your team but every game of the round for a small fee ... our attendances are almost double , thats double what they were back then.
Pretty fair effort I'd say.
( i'll say its no coincidence that about 35 years ago the era of big purpose built rectangle venues began & thats the biggest contributor to this increase in crowds... better facilities ... i know , i know that discussion doesn't belong here )

That's why talk of Cairns having a team (or sharing one with PNG) is cooked AF

Rod Coil

Juniors
You speak sense Valheru. A rarity in this sort of topic. Cheers.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Just let Kogarah become some sporting ground and let the good people of Illawarra have a full time team and keep the Dragons fans in Sydney happy with a spanking new SFS.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
St George Illawarra Dragons (32) v South Sydney Rabbitohs (12)
Thu 16 Jun 7:50PM at WIN Stadium, Wollongong (Crowd: 11257)
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles (26) v North Queensland Cowboys (28)
Fri 17 Jun 6:00PM at 4 Pines Park, Brookvale (Crowd: 9266)
Melbourne Storm (32) v Brisbane Broncos (20)
Fri 17 Jun 7:55PM at AAMI Park, Melbourne (Crowd: 19253)
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (18) v Gold Coast Titans (10)
Sat 18 Jun 3:00PM at C.ex Coffs International Stadium, Coffs Harbour (Crowd: 9058)
Warriors (6) v Penrith Panthers (40)
Sat 18 Jun 5:30PM at Moreton Daily Stadium, Redcliffe (Crowd: 8127)
Parramatta Eels (26) v Sydney Roosters (16)
Sat 18 Jun 7:35PM at CommBank Stadium, Parramatta (Crowd: 21757)
Canberra Raiders (20) v Newcastle Knights (18)
Sun 19 Jun 2:00PM at GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce (Crowd: 12457)
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (36) v Wests Tigers (12)
Sun 19 Jun 4:05PM at CommBank Stadium, Parramatta (Crowd: 14806)

Total R15: 105,981
Average R15: 13,248

Season total after R15: 1,721,309
Season average after R15: 14,839

Jamberoo

Juniors
Afl have responded quickly to their falling crowds with a month of feee kids entry and adverts promoting it on fox. With tv now paying so much I dont understand why both codes dont make it free for kids under 16.
Kids are only $5 though so don't see this having much impact. AFL down by 40% in their newer markets (Western Sydney, GC, Tasmania, Darwin, Cairns). down 5% overall. NRL doing very, very well to hold crowds at pre-COVID levels.
NRL average crowds currently around half AFL. The last time AFL was less than double the NRL was in 1991 when the MCG was being redeveloped. Excluding that I think it was 1978.

Is this a turning of the tide?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Kids are only $5 though so don't see this having much impact. AFL down by 40% in their newer markets (Western Sydney, GC, Tasmania, Darwin, Cairns). down 5% overall. NRL doing very, very well to hold crowds at pre-COVID levels.
NRL average crowds currently around half AFL. The last time AFL was less than double the NRL was in 1991 when the MCG was being redeveloped. Excluding that I think it was 1978.

Is this a turning of the tide?
And this is even before we`ve got an up-graded Kogarah and Brookvale, Leichardt tarted up and brand spanking new state-of-the-art stadiums at Penrith and the SFS. Look out.
I really do wonder if fumbleball fans are becoming more event focused, i.e. will still turn out in large numbers for high profile games but the game is just too damn long for most people`s modern lifestyles and young peoples short attention spans.