What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
The "1 year after age 30" seems to have been started by the media, I don't see it as a flat track rule but rather it will be on a case by case basis and depend on what young players are coming through.
Solly said it in the media on 2GB radio and he said it to me on the phone.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The 1 year contract after 30 is a smart decision. If you resign burgess on a 3 year contract theres every chance he's going to injure himself before he finishes that contract. Its the exact same situation with Reynolds. There is no way he lasts 3 years playing great footy. There are certain exceptions for the rule and even though burgess is a good prop, he's not a generational prop.

This is smart by the club. If other clubs that are lower on the ladder want to pay big money for ageing players we should be letting them because they're wasting cap space.

southsport

First Grade
The 1 year contract after 30 is a smart decision. If you resign burgess on a 3 year contract theres every chance he's going to injure himself before he finishes that contract. Its the exact same situation with Reynolds. There is no way he lasts 3 years playing great footy. There are certain exceptions for the rule and even though burgess is a good prop, he's not a generational prop.

This is smart by the club. If other clubs that are lower on the ladder want to pay big money for ageing players we should be letting them because they're wasting cap space.
That sums it up perfectly. ;)

If we keep Reynolds, Gagai and an ageing Burgess, we’d be like Saints post 2010 - hold on to club faves/stalwarts because of the job done (and not the job to be done) and fall in the abyss. Refer - Hornby, Young etc.

Meanwhile we’ve recruited and groomed a batch of youngsters and with the Dolphins coming, Melbourne and Roosters losing players and looking to refresh and desperate teams like Tigers, Dogs, Saints on the rebuild, I know I’d rather hold on to youngsters for the future.

Nafedogg

Juniors
Well said! In fairness we couldn’t get the job done over the last few seasons, yea last year we went so close but we need to look at the future. I’m all for loving our club heroes but we need to lock up these good young guys. Doesn’t matter to me if we have a lean year, what matters is this group of young guys being our next chapter.

Rabbits20

Immortal

I disagree you need to meet in the middle with 2 year offers more often than not.

30 is not old for a player these days.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I disagree you need to meet in the middle with 2 year offers more often than not.

30 is not old for a player these days.
We compromised and offered Reynolds a 2 year offer did we not? And then he decided he wanted 3 years instead so he took the broncos offer. I dont blame Reynolds because he was looking after himself.

At the end of the day the players will always try to get the best deal for THEM. Even if you lift the offer up to 2 years they'll probably turn around and say they want 3. Its not like Souths aren't giving them an opportunity to stay at the club. They're offering them a 1 year deal on good money, its up to the player to perform.

Don't you remember years ago when you guys had a 'dud list'? That was caused by giving ageing players huge contracts and not having any cap space to retain our juniors and sign new players.

Souths are running their salary cap like a business which is how Melbourne do it and how the Roosters do it as well.

Veracity14

Juniors
Gags was offered 450 for 1 year but opted for 400k for 3 years, he couldnt take the chance that he wouldnt be offered a 2nd year, as ive said before,this 1year at 30 years old deal will knobble our recruitment,who will want to come knowing what will happen at 30, only reserve graders or average first graders will think about coming.
Pappas and solly are ruining this club,and im not the only one saying it,the other 15 clubs are laughing hard, and all,and there isnt 1, so called expert saying weve done the right thing, we are the laughing stock of the league, from 2nd place to last in 1 offseason

People need to get away from this dire predicament crap that supposedly befalls players at 30, the media play to it, supporters play to it, & I doubt it’s a hard & fast rule or directive, it’s definitely considered given how we’ve lost a lot of money due to contracts in the past but like I said, there’s no indication it’s set in stone

Veracity14

Juniors
God, if we were to let Tom go that'd be absolute stupidity!! I'd be gutted and so angry!

As you say, he's been in near career-best form for us the past couple of years.

But let's not stress yet, hopefully it all works out and he stays.

It’s a manager doing what a manager does & the media are always happy to help things along if they can, it fills some space

Veracity14

Juniors
The fact Souths decline to comment says it all really we’ve lost the plot Tom has been outstanding the last 2 years. I’d say we would only extend Tom one year and he knows that hence he’s looking at options. So when all our players turn 30-31 let’s lose them all rather than meet in the middle with a 2 yr offer. I’m fuming

Fuming about what? 😂
The club never responds to crappy articles in crappy newspapers, it’s more fool you for taking notice of them
And look at you? Working yourself up like an old mole

Veracity14

Juniors
Well i dont know for sure but its got the players scared and looking elsewere, i stand by my statement,pappas and solly are running this club into the ground

Absolute crap, another old mole getting yourself worked up about nothing
The current management team is probably the best we’ve ever had
The thing that concerns me is recruitment & not even at the NRL level but at junior level, I actually went into this year thinking we’d gone well with our junior recruitment but we’ve only won a handful of games from Matthews cup to Jersey Flegg including Tarsha Gale cup, if we’re going to have a great centre of excellence we’d better start getting some excellence to use it

Latest posts