What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Late september, many of the Newspaper sites had the story also the NRL website
There has been no announcement of telstra extending naming rights from ‘23 that I can find.

That article is from early 2007 lol. Here are the clues.

requires a rubber stamp from the NRL Partnership Committee, which comprises three representative each from the Australian Rugby League and News Limited.

League players have already been running out for trial games with jerseys sporting the NRL/Telstra 2007 logo.

group managing director of Telstra BigPond internet division

The new deal means that Channel Nine, which broadcasts NRL on free-to-air television, and Foxtel, which screens the code on pay-TV, cannot show more than 30 seconds of game footage on their websites.

tri_colours

Juniors
The Midst meaning they are still doing it . maybe a few 'T' still to cross but Even so it does it doesnt help your case if thats what your getting at.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Murdoch has treated our game like shit since the 1990s. He admitted in a press conference that he prefers fumbleball and will use his publications to promote the game in Queensland and New South Wales. He's thrown peanuts at us while paying overs to AwFuL. The bloke is from a fumbleball wasteland and the sooner he does the world a favour and dies the better our game will be.
We are partners again so wont be happening, besides Lachlan is the new boss.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So in the wash up it looks like annually '23-'27 avg'ing out at around:

Ch9 $115mill cash (same as last deal) + $15million contra (+$5mill) = $130mill
Fox $220mill ($20mill less than last time) + $20mill for expansion total = $240mill (same as last time, contra split not known)
Sky NZ $32.8mill (up $12.8mill, contra split not known)

2023-2027 $402.8mill avg

Pre covid contra amount in 2019 was $24.5mill of which $10mill'ish was Nine suggesting Fox and Sky nz were contributing $14-15mill'ish contra. Forwarding into the new deal, and making some assumptions, contra is likely to be up around $35million (confirmed +$5mill from Nine plus SkyNZ and Fox increases potentially) meaning cash value of next deal is somewhere in the region of

$367 mill a year avg.

Last edited:
Reactions: abc

Cactus

Juniors
So in the wash up it looks like annually '23-'27 avg'ing out at around:

Ch9 $115mill cash (same as last deal) + $15million contra (+$5mill) = $130mill
Fox $220mill ($20mill less than last time) + $20mill for expansion total = $240mill (same as last time, contra split not known)
Sky NZ $32.8mill (up $12.8mill, contra split not known)

2023-2027 $402.8mill avg

Pre covid contra amount in 2019 was $24.5mill of which $10mill'ish was Nine suggesting Fox and Sky nz were contributing $14-15mill'ish contra. Forwarding into the new deal, and making some assumptions, contra is likely to be up around $35million (confirmed +$5mill from Nine plus SkyNZ and Fox increases potentially) meaning cash value of next deal is somewhere in the region of

$367 mill a year avg.
Summarised to be read as :

"it looks like"
"averaging at around"
"not known"
"not known"
"millish" lol
"suggesting"
"making some assumptions"
"likely to be"
"around"
"somewhere in the region of"

Thanks. I am all caught up now :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Summarised to be read as :

"it looks like"
"averaging at around"
"not known"
"not known"
"millish" lol
"suggesting"
"making some assumptions"
"likely to be"
"around"
"somewhere in the region of"

Thanks. I am all caught up now :)
you're welcome :)
At least I don't try to claim it as fact. just a well educated guess based on what we do know lol

Reactions: abc

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are quite right. There is so little fact.
If we take what's printed and attributed to sources as a reasonable credible picture (at least until annual report verifies it) then the breakdown is reasonably confident
ie
Ch9 $130 mill ($15mill contra) (in media)
SkyNZ $32.8mill (in media)
Fox $240mill

Out of those only the Fox figure hasn't been mentioned in media, but if you take the total of just over $400mill that has been mentioned in media then that would leave them that amount. The biggie of course is how much is cash. That wont be known till we see the annual reports, presuming Vlandys doesn't hide the contra amount as well!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Can't we just be happy that during a difficult time for the global economy:

Previous deal = $1.9B
This deal = $2B - $2.1B

No sport in the Australian market has had a massive jump like we've seen with bigger sports in other countries but we are in a great position from now through to 2027.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't we just be happy that during a difficult time for the global economy:

Previous deal = $1.9B
This deal = $2B - $2.1B

No sport in the Australian market has had a massive jump like we've seen with bigger sports in other countries but we are in a great position from now through to 2027.
I dont think the increase is anything to jump for joy at (given at least 1/2 of it is contra and its costing $15mill a year more to run the comp in 23-) but on the plus side we've got certainty of decent income (presuming we don't end up having more covid effected comps requiring Tv rewrites) which as you say in these troubled times certainly is of value.
Lets hope we can convince them to stump up more cash later in the deal for a ninth game.

Cactus

Juniors
Read a headline in The Australian tonight (sorry its pay walled) saying that the AFL lost $43M this last 12 months.

$43M Noice !

No matter the hysterics about the NRLs accounting methods we look to be way way ahead of the AFL on where it counts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Read a headline in The Australian tonight (sorry its pay walled) saying that the AFL lost $43M this last 12 months.

$43M Noice !

No matter the hysterics about the NRLs accounting methods we look to be way way ahead of the AFL on where it counts.
Yeh they’ve decided to dip into their cash reserves rather than slash development funding.

Correct me if I'm wrong .
It's common knowledge you're the AFl expert .
But didn't they use up their reserves .....hence the loan or line of credit they got to get them through the first year of Covid .

$43M Noice !

Fox Sports had have an article on it which is not paywalled-

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Or.............instead of that pro AFL thought bubble you could have offered up the NRLs position by way of comparison. You know, a half glass full honest appraisal.
hard to do that until we see HOW NRL has managed to make a profit. On the surface looks an amazing result for sure, but if its due to slashing and burning important expenditure areas then maybe not so. It certainly seems like we have come through the last two years financially much better off than AFL despite their significantly higher revenue.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Correct me if I'm wrong .
It's common knowledge you're the AFl expert .
But didn't they use up their reserves .....hence the loan or line of credit they got to get them through the first year of Covid .
No, they got the loan as a back up as at the time no one knew how long and how big the impact. They didnt use it and closed down that facility last year.
Between 2017-2019 they managed to achieve a $113.8mill surplus which gave them a decent cash reserve to cover losses of last two years. Similar to NRL who managed a surplus in 18-19 of $76million which they would have dipped into to cover the '20 loss.

ps I'm no afl expert, I can just read and know how to use google lol

Latest posts