What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
What will be interesting is if they feel there might be some competition from a streaming service by then.
Yes it`s quite incredible; it was only last year that they were estimating the ratio of streaming to STB was .43 or so, this year they have increased that ratio for League to .84. The writing`s on the wall.
My youngest who is as passionate about his League as anyone, and who is I think fairly typical of most millennials, would rarely sit down to a full-game of League, it`s all done, highlights and League news, on his phone or laptop.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes it`s quite incredible; it was only last year that they were estimating the ratio of streaming to STB was .43 or so, this year they have increased that ratio for League to .84. The writing`s on the wall.
My youngest who is as passionate about his League as anyone, and who is I think fairly typical of most millennials, would rarely sit down to a full-game of League, it`s all done, highlights and League news, on his phone or laptop.
5 years or so everything will be streaming. It opens up a lot of possibilities to have multiple streaming services showing games like in NFL. Could be 3 or 4 providers covering the game by the time the next deal comes around in 2028. Creating regular new content to maintain streaming subscriptions is an expensive exercise and sport basically provides new content t every weekend to hold subscribers

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Strange thing to come out with considering they are back to full crowds, the economy is humming and a supposed bumper broadcast deal.

"AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan says the next pay deal for AFL players must consider how a decline in revenue will be factored into player contracts following the unprecedented effects of COVID-19 on the sport’s revenue."

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Interesting figure released the other day ` NRL revenue (that`s just the NRL not the clubs) has gone from 44% of the afl number in 2012 to 77% last year.` Seems like there may be at least some reward for our superior overall yearly viewing numbers even if we aren`t getting it in our broadcast deals.
Two other areas where we lag and I feel like we may make progress are:
a) I`m thinking that by the end of the stadium development phase we are about to go into we may get a 20 - 25 % lift in overall crowd averages, admittedly some clubs may benefit more than others, but getting up around the 18 000 - 20 000 overall average is achievable;
b) NRL clubs have always lagged afl memberships rather dramatically, it would seem to me that we are finally waking up to the potential of these as another revenue source and seeing growth in this area. The success of the women`s comp could be a further driver in this area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
afl revenue $425mill
nrl revenue $181mill
gap $274mill

2019 (pre covid)
afl revenue $794mill
nrl revenue $553mill
Gap $241mill

afl revenue $738mill
nrl revenue $570mill ($20mill from extra SOO revenue)
Gap $168mill

in 2023 that gap is likely to back over $200mill as their new tv deal kicks in.

until we get a tv deal befitting the most popular sport on tv we won’t be closing the gap anytime soon!

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
In fact at the current rate of increase expect NRL revenue to equate to around $ 1 225 500 000 by the end of the decade.
Given the current f-ball revenue trajectory, it would be on track to record roughly around $ 1 291 500 000 in the same time frame.
That`s before we really factor in the full V`landy`s/Abdo effect, whom I believe are only just getting warmed up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In fact at the current rate of increase expect NRL revenue to equate to around $ 1 225 500 000 by the end of the decade.
Given the current f-ball revenue trajectory, it would be on track to record roughly around $ 1 291 500 000 in the same time frame.
That`s before we really factor in the full V`landy`s/Abdo effect, whom I believe are only just getting warmed up.
your calculations are a bit skewed, in 2012 the nrl was under paid significantly due to conflict of ownership keeping tv deal low. You’d need to look at increase from 2013 onwards to get a better real picture of growth,

Re where both codes will be at it depends on what afl achieve in their tv deal 25- on and what nrl can deliver for nine games when we go to 18 teams. Afl make a lot of money from their better attended finals series but nrl is catching up with its special events like magic weekend and all stars games and selling origin to other cities. If we can create more events we could get in front.
Afl rake in a lot more from sponsorship but nrl rakes it in from gambling. Given the new tv deal isn’t increasing much and afls is covering previous losses it may be that around $450mill is the cap at the moment for tv value Unless there is some real future competition between steaming companies.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
So a few posts ago you were happy to put up numbers that accentuated a gap in funding. Now that those numbers reveal what an incredible job the NRL is doing in closing that gap and you`re moving the goalposts. mmm.
Here`s another way of looking at it, positive mind you, if that doesn`t disconcert you. 2012 was the year the commission was formed and therefore the year that Australian Rugby League really started to forge ahead, so maybe we really should start from there..
We could also point out it was when Andrew Abdo became CCO that the NRL revenue really started to accelerate, so maybe we should start measuring it from when he took that position.
No to be perfectly frank, I think you might be the one whos` view is a bit skewed.
You are Andrew Webster and I claim my 5 dollars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So a few posts ago you were happy to put up numbers that accentuated a gap in funding. Now that those numbers reveal what an incredible job the NRL is doing in closing that gap and you`re moving the goalposts. mmm.
Here`s another way of looking at it, positive mind you, if that doesn`t disconcert you. 2012 was the year the commission was formed and therefore the year that Australian Rugby League really started to forge ahead, so maybe we really should start from there..
We could also point out it was when Andrew Abdo became CCO that the NRL revenue really started to accelerate, so maybe we should start measuring it from when he took that position.
No to be perfectly frank, I think you might be the one whos` view is a bit skewed.
You have to consider all the factors when looking at comparative data, whether it’s suits your narrative or not. You ca; also pick any point in time to start the comparison.
for example if we start in 2013, which is when both codes new tv deals where in place, the gap was only $126million so by 2019 the gap had actually increased Massively Again.
But from 2012 to 2021 Yes clearly the gap is slowly closing and like said will hopefully continue to do so

Last edited:

Menaiduck

Juniors
I’m with you on this. V’landys is a divisive character and he hasn’t got everything right but he’s an aggressive results driven operator who is positioning the game for a big future. I like him. It’s a great ride watching him operate. The decision about an 18th team will be interesting as, unlike our major competitor, we have plenty of options.

flippikat

Bench
I’m with you on this. V’landys is a divisive character and he hasn’t got everything right but he’s an aggressive results driven operator who is positioning the game for a big future. I like him. It’s a great ride watching him operate. The decision about an 18th team will be interesting as, unlike our major competitor, we have plenty of options.
Great points. I have to say, I'm warming to him.. he has a way of "getting things done".

You're right though, the 18th team will be the true test of how much vision he has - or whether the same old blinkered eastern-seaboard focused thinking prevails.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Great points. I have to say, I'm warming to him.. he has a way of "getting things done".

You're right though, the 18th team will be the true test of how much vision he has - or whether the same old blinkered eastern-seaboard focused thinking prevails.
The 18th team has to be Perth or South Island NZ.

Menaiduck

Juniors
By the way I support a Perth team for the following reasons.
1. New tv time zone.
2. Good rugby league tradition and reasonably strong local comp with big potential.
3. State government is aggressive and pushing for big projects across the state which will see a big population increase, lots of money, and a growing market for the game.
4. Genuine government and corporate support for a team.
NZ 2 can come later.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
1. New tv time zone.
2. Good rugby league tradition and reasonably strong local comp with big potential.
3. State government is aggressive and pushing for big projects across the state which will see a big population increase, lots of money, and a growing market for the game.
NZ 2 can come later.
I`d just love the mob that set up Melbourne do the same thing in Perth, even if the Melbourne owners set up a Perth franchise. They`ve shown in Melbourne how to set up a very successful Rugby league club in hostile territory, probably more hostile than Perth would be.
I think the story was that News Corp tipped in about $50 - 75m before Melbourne was able to stand on its` own two feet.
The NRL have $170m in the bank, strikes me that with the regular annual NRL funding circa $13 -15m, plus an annual investment of say $10m for 5-7 years, they could well afford it. The increase to the broadcast deal could cover a large chunk of that investment anyway. And btw, that`s what it would be - an investment, and I think a very sound one.

"Julian McCrann, Industry Communications Director, Roy Morgan, says the Melbourne Storm has topped the annual Roy Morgan NRL Club Support Ladder in 2021 and is the most widely supported NRL or AFL club in Australia for the first time".

Mate don't bother .
He is an AFL loving troll .
He has a massive Anti PVL agenda ( I'd say as a fumblefan he is actually scared to have someone with drive in charge of the ARLC ).
No matter what you post positive about Rl he will counter with a glowing AFL comparison or an anti PVL rant.

Iamback

Coach
1. New tv time zone.
NZ 2 can come later.

Those same reason could fit NZ 2

Iamback

Coach

They would want another timezone the fix a few issues with the game

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Mate don't bother .
He is an AFL loving troll .
He has a massive Anti PVL agenda ( I'd say as a fumblefan he is actually scared to have someone with drive in charge of the ARLC ).
No matter what you post positive about Rl he will counter with a glowing AFL comparison or an anti PVL rant.
Yes it is unusual isn`t it. I haven`t had a lot of experience with trolls and I am only new on here, I know that on the Pommy forums they get driven off or banned pretty quickly.
I do wonder though if someone could be an afl plant though, attempting to disguise their real agenda with statements like " Rugby League is the greatest game " and " I don`t give a shit about afl " while continuing to subtly and not so subtly undermine NRL with negative and distorted views.

Latest posts