What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
Those same reason could fit NZ 2

Probably not 3 or 4 though. I remember reading somewhere that Perth will reach 4 million by 2050. South Island’s population isn’t doubling in the next 20 or so years. It is also the wealthiest state capital in Australia so the corporate potential is massive.

South Island has much bigger potential in terms of player development though

Menaiduck

Juniors
Probably not 3 or 4 though. I remember reading somewhere that Perth will reach 4 million by 2050. South Island’s population isn’t doubling in the next 20 or so years. It is also the wealthiest state capital in Australia so the corporate potential is massive.

Spot on mate

Iamback

Coach

It is also the most isolated state Capital which poses other problems

The flip side NZ is growing but is it enough for a 2nd team

Exciting times either way

Colk

First Grade
It is also the most isolated state Capital which poses other problems

The flip side NZ is growing but is it enough for a 2nd team

Exciting times either way

There is that argument about the isolation although every other competition seems to overcome it.

Ultimately I think you want both as they are clearly the two best options. Then you make a decision about what the 20th team is and that’s pretty much your competition

Smug Panther

First Grade
There is that argument about the isolation although every other competition seems to overcome it.

Ultimately I think you want both as they are clearly the two best options. Then you make a decision about what the 20th team is and that’s pretty much your competition
Yeah 20 teams and play each other once. Alternate home and away each year. 19 rounds that all mean something and it's a fair comp. Then you add a break in the middle for origin and more internationals, it's very simple stuff.

Iamback

Coach

A 2nd NZ team also opens up the Pacific.

I think 20 is the end game and includes Perth

Colk

First Grade
Yeah 20 teams and play each other once. Alternate home and away each year. 19 rounds that all mean something and it's a fair comp. Then you add a break in the middle for origin and more internationals, it's very simple stuff.

Exactly. 9 games at home, 9 games away with a Magic Round - I would give different cities and areas the chance to host it.

You could also extend the time of the final series or have more internationals/ state of origins if you were worried about reduced revenue.

Also it gives you an opportunity to hold the ESL or potentially the North American League in totally different time slots and allow players opportunities to play in different leagues; which in turn shores up player depth - for example what a coup it would be for the ESL if somebody like a Tedesco or Turbo could play over there or the best British players could play for teams over here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes it is unusual isn`t it. I haven`t had a lot of experience with trolls and I am only new on here, I know that on the Pommy forums they get driven off or banned pretty quickly.
I do wonder though if someone could be an afl plant though, attempting to disguise their real agenda with statements like " Rugby League is the greatest game " and " I don`t give a shit about afl " while continuing to subtly and not so subtly undermine NRL with negative and distorted views.
Haha, just because I dont view the world through nrl rose tinted glasses and dont irrationally hate afl like some on here doesn’t make me a troll. I try to present the facts so people can have informed discussion, sadly the facts usually don’t paint a great picture when we are comparing things, hence why some get in a huff and resort to ‘he must be an afl troll”.
Reality is I’ve played and supported RL since 1980 and had the pleasure of travelling the world following it. I’d put my support of the game up against anyone on here. I once paid $8k and flew around the world to watch my club in a CC final. some on here who question my love of the game can’t even be arsed to go watch their club when they are in the same city!

re Vlandys I’m not a big fan for sure. There are times a dictator works but usually it ends in tears and revolution. Only stupid people think in black and white. I’ve listed m ay times the things I think he’s done well and the things I think he has got badly wrong.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I’m with you on this. V’landys is a divisive character and he hasn’t got everything right but he’s an aggressive results driven operator who is positioning the game for a big future. I like him. It’s a great ride watching him operate. The decision about an 18th team will be interesting as, unlike our major competitor, we have plenty of options.

Great points. I have to say, I'm warming to him.. he has a way of "getting things done".

You're right though, the 18th team will be the true test of how much vision he has - or whether the same old blinkered eastern-seaboard focused thinking prevails.
Exactly, we can`t afford to be soft on this thing with the fumbleball, if they have their way they`d leave us with nothing, witness the hundreds of millions they are spending in League heartlands.
That`s what I like about V`landy`s, he knows what their like and he knows this is a turf war and we have to fight back. The following exchange says it all for me:

Peter V’landys doesn’t mind a stink with Victorian racing or the AFL.

He was at it again last week the Independent Commission chairman was a special guest of the Parramatta Eels at last week’s match against the Dragons in the chairman’s club at CommBank Stadium.

At one point he was asked by Adam Hawse on stage whether the NRL should take the lead of the AFL and do more “milestone” events such as the Buddy Franklin 1000-goal celebration. His reply, “Who’s Buddy Franklin?”

On Friday we spoke to V’landys who confirmed it was all tongue in cheek.

“I’m actually a great admirer of Buddy Franklin,” he said. “I just wish he’d been a centre for the Dragons rather than play that other game, whatever it’s called.”

Exactly, if we don`t act, the best athletes won`t be playing our sport. Something you mightn`t know, Tommy Trbojevic was courted by the swans and attended one of their training camps and Stephen Chrichton was chased hard by gws as a junior. The game would be a lot poorer without those two.

Colk

First Grade
Exactly, we can`t afford to be soft on this thing with the fumbleball, if they have their way they`d leave us with nothing, witness the hundreds of millions they are spending in League heartlands.
That`s what I like about V`landy`s, he knows what their like and he knows this is a turf war and we have to fight back. The following exchange says it all for me:

He was at it again last week the Independent Commission chairman was a special guest of the Parramatta Eels at last week’s match against the Dragons in the chairman’s club at CommBank Stadium.

At one point he was asked by Adam Hawse on stage whether the NRL should take the lead of the AFL and do more “milestone” events such as the Buddy Franklin 1000-goal celebration. His reply, “Who’s Buddy Franklin?”

“I’m actually a great admirer of Buddy Franklin,” he said. “I just wish he’d been a centre for the Dragons rather than play that other game, whatever it’s called.”

Exactly, if we don`t act, the best athletes won`t be playing our sport. Something you mightn`t know, Tommy Trbojevic was courted by the swans and attended one of their training camps and Stephen Chrichton was chased hard by gws as a junior. The game would be a lot poorer without those two.

That is great that he says this stuff - it’s refreshing in a way. But he also needs to take this thought process and strike against them - actions rather than words.

flippikat

Bench
If we're gonna move to a "play each other once" season, we could even go to 22 or 24 teams.. HOWEVER then you hit scheduling issues (multiple games in timeslots) and player & coaching depth issues.

Wb1234

Immortal

Love it.

what a nice change from muppets like gallop (afl has more capital cities than us hence deserves a bigger tv deal) and Greenberg (we can work together)

seeing what he did for nsw racing over Vic racing it’s really exciting what he is doing for league over our rivals

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Love it.

what a nice change from muppets like gallop (afl has more capital cities than us hence deserves a bigger tv deal) and Greenberg (we can work together)

seeing what he did for nsw racing over Vic racing it’s really exciting what he is doing for league over our rivals
It has always bugged me the free ride fumbleball gets in the media despite it being in so many ways a patently ridiculous sport. A lot of people will stick it on the box and just watch it, or even go to it for god`s sakes without thinking, just because of the hype that comes out of Victoria or because it`s fashionable.
What I like about V`landy`s approach is that he has pointed out the ridiculousness of that sport and that will make a lot of people take a second look at it and realise " You know what ! he`s right".

Wb1234

Immortal
It has always bugged me the free ride fumbleball gets in the media despite it being in so many ways a patently ridiculous sport. A lot of people will stick it on the box and just watch it, or even go to it for god`s sakes without thinking, just because of the hype that comes out of Victoria or because it`s fashionable.
What I like about V`landy`s approach is that he has pointed out the ridiculousness of that sport and that will make a lot of people take a second look at it and realise " You know what ! he`s right".
I agree with that

I think for a long time there’s been this afl bandwagon where people follow the sport just because it has bigger crowds (people in nsw and qld).

before vlandys afl was pretty much untouchable in terms of Australian sports. Pretty much since his handling of covid I would argue he was out league in the best position it’s been compared to any rival sport

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actuslly i think most sensible people will hear him and think, geez they put that idiot in charge? Sure he appeals to the narrow minded, a bit like pauline Hanson, but as the old saying goes you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. His narration feeds nicely into his horse racing battle with Victoria but harms the games growth into afl states, not that he gives a sht about growth beyond the heartlands. I know what our sports minister had to say about his waste of money statement after the wa govt has funded nrl many millions of $’s in last ten years.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
"The AFL is keen to schedule Thursday night football on nearly every round from next season, and next month the AFL Commission will rule on a twilight grand final move Foxtel likely to ask for more games broadcast exclusively into non-Victorian markets."

What is the above underlined likely to mean to the next afl extension. Surely if the game can`t be shown on FTA in " non-Victorian markets " then that has to devalue the product to Seven.
Alternatively if the afl insist on fta coverage into " non-Victorian markets " wouldn`t that then mean that Foxtel wouldn`t be happy. I know I`d certainly be glad just not to see it all over the TV guide every weekend here in NSW.
One of the strengths that struck me about the afl is the blanket coverage it gets on FTA, were this not the case I wonder just how many people would be willing to pay for the right to watch it. Given the poor numbers that some of the games get on Foxtel that aren`t on FTA it would seem to me that total afl viewing numbers would be significantly less. i.e. people will watch it when it`s free, but many won`t if they have to pay for it.
Apologising in advance for veering off the thread topic but just interested in some constructive thoughts on this point.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Actuslly i think most sensible people will hear him and think, geez they put that idiot in charge? Sure he appeals to the narrow minded, a bit like pauline Hanson, but as the old saying goes you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. His narration feeds nicely into his horse racing battle with Victoria but harms the games growth into afl states, not that he gives a sht about growth beyond the heartlands. I know what our sports minister had to say about his waste of money statement after the wa govt has funded nrl many millions of $’s in last ten years.
Do you ever stop whinging about V’landys?

Wb1234

Immortal
"The AFL is keen to schedule Thursday night football on nearly every round from next season, and next month the AFL Commission will rule on a twilight grand final move Foxtel likely to ask for more games broadcast exclusively into non-Victorian markets."

What is the above underlined likely to mean to the next afl extension. Surely if the game can`t be shown on FTA in " non-Victorian markets " then that has to devalue the product to Seven.
Alternatively if the afl insist on fta coverage into " non-Victorian markets " wouldn`t that then mean that Foxtel wouldn`t be happy. I know I`d certainly be glad just not to see it all over the TV guide every weekend here in NSW.
One of the strengths that struck me about the afl is the blanket coverage it gets on FTA, were this not the case I wonder just how many people would be willing to pay for the right to watch it. Given the poor numbers that some of the games get on Foxtel that aren`t on FTA it would seem to me that total afl viewing numbers would be significantly less. i.e. people will watch it when it`s free, but many won`t if they have to pay for it.
Apologising in advance for veering off the thread topic but just interested in some constructive thoughts on this point.
I think the game changer is the release of the Kayo numbers for the nrl. Some foxtel games are getting close to the fta audience. With all the new streaming options available it’s only a matter of time before a rival pay tv bid is made for the number one sport on pay tv.

faced with competition for its number one product I think foxtel wouldn’t be able to keep both sports and would jettison the afl

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I think the game changer is the release of the Kayo numbers for the nrl. Some foxtel games are getting close to the fta audience. With all the new streaming options available it’s only a matter of time before a rival pay tv bid is made for the number one sport on pay tv.

faced with competition for its number one product I think foxtel wouldn’t be able to keep both sports and would jettison the afl
We`re still a fair way from a Pay TV operator from taking complete control of League broadcast rights and putting couple of games in front of the streaming paywall to avoid anti-syphoning laws and to make them accessible to the general public. The NRL would be mad not to have games on FTA, as we know only hardcore fans will go looking for them on streaming ( free or not ) and we will miss that casual/new fan that you can get on FTA.
Cruelly it would be Channel 9 who it would probably suite to have complete control, a couple of games on FTA each week and then the punter pays to watch the rest behind the streaming paywall.
9 boss Sneesby has said that they would love to have complete control of League broadcast rights, including the NRL website which last year got 145m visits compared to 9`s Rugby League/NRL site which only got about 45m. They would be salivating at the thought of all the 9 promo`s they could put on there.
Strikes me though a deal with Nine could be the best option, money wise at least. Whether we would be able to break free from Fox though I`m not sure, but that Nine option should keep Foxtel honest at the next broadcast deal. I hope anyway.

Latest posts