What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope just highlighting your Afl love /RL hate .
It's there for all to see .
So small minded, no hate of afl, much love for rl. But yes you keep making it all about me lol. Thank you it’s good for my ego.

have watched all the SL games so far, how many you watched?

So small minded, no hate of afl, much love for rl. But yes you keep making it all about me lol. Thank you it’s good for my ego.

have watched all the SL games so far, how many you watched?
Who is on top of the ladder
Colington
Or
West coast drug dealers ?

Lol one of us praises RL
&
You praise AFl & have very little to say positively about RL
Even when AFL lose a shitload & we make a profit you still have nothing good to say .
That shows excatly what a Rl fan you are .
Colington
Forever

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol one of us praises RL
&
You praise AFl & have very little to say positively about RL
Even when AFL lose a shitload & we make a profit you still have nothing good to say .
That shows excatly what a Rl fan you are .
Colington
Forever
then you dont comprehend very well. I love RL, on the field it is the greatest game in the world imo. Off the field it continues to be plagued by poor management and bad decisions, with the occasional bright spot. It is in effect the exact opposite of australian rules which is shthouse to watch on the field but is run pretty well, with the occasional f**k up.

You can love a sport and still not be happy with the way its run, just like you can love your club but not like the coach or board (ask the Dragons fans) lol.

Take this tv deal, despite all the bluster we didn't manage to realise any real cash increase out of adding a 17th team. How can that be ok? For years we've been hearing that Ch9 were desperate for another Brisbane club. We're giving Fox 12 more games, a second Brisbane club and less Broncos on FTA and they somehow managed to get away without paying anymore than they did in 2017. How is that ok? If it wasn't for Sky NZ having some competitive tension for the rights this deal would look pretty ordinary.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
As this has come up yet again and for the thick kids at the back of the class (Phil and baseline I’m looking at you) who can’t seem to understand what the new deal is and how it compares the to last tv deal

2018-
nine $115mill cash plus $10mill contra
Fox $240mill cash and contra
Skynzz $20mill cash and contra
total $385mill a year (around $25mill a year contra)
5 year deal total value $1.925bill

2023-
nine $115mill cash plus $15mill contra
fox $240mill cash and contra
sky nz $32.8 mill cash and contra
total $402.8mill (cash and contra break down not yet known)
5 year deal total value $2.014bill

increase $89mill over 5 years
Increase of $17.8mill a year of which at least $5mill is contra. Max cash increase $12.8mill a year.

and those my friends are the facts according to media reports released.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
then you dont comprehend very well. I love RL, on the field it is the greatest game in the world imo. Off the field it continues to be plagued by poor management and bad decisions, with the occasional bright spot. It is in effect the exact opposite of australian rules which is shthouse to watch on the field but is run pretty well, with the occasional f**k up.

You can love a sport and still not be happy with the way its run, just like you can love your club but not like the coach or board (ask the Dragons fans) lol.

Take this tv deal, despite all the bluster we didn't manage to realise any real cash increase out of adding a 17th team. How can that be ok? For years we've been hearing that Ch9 were desperate for another Brisbane club. We're giving Fox 12 more games, a second Brisbane club and less Broncos on FTA and they somehow managed to get away without paying anymore than they did in 2017. How is that ok? If it wasn't for Sky NZ having some competitive tension for the rights this deal would look pretty ordinary.

When the 2018 deal was first signed it was about $1.8B and by the end of the 5 years it had grown to slighly over 1.9B

The recent deal was $2B or more from day one.

The no spin facts!

Sports industry

2018-22 NRL Media Rights​

The deal is worth $1.8 billion to the NRL – 70 per cent higher than the existing rights.
With the sale of international and radio rights to come, it is anticipated that the total value of the final package will exceed $1.9 billion.
Under the agreement, many of the changes to improve the schedule of games will start from 2016 – two years early.
Under the new package:
  • Telstra Premiership matches will be held five days a week in 2016 – from Thursday to Monday inclusive – before reverting to four days a week (Thursday to Sunday) in 2017
  • From 2017 the Monday night game will be moved to Friday at 6pm
  • Nine Network will telecast games live and free to air on Thursday and Friday nights and Sunday afternoon in 2016
  • FOX SPORTS will show all eight games every weekend – including five exclusive telecasts each weekend.Super Saturday, featuring three live games, will be retained by FOX SPORTS.
  • The last five Saturday night games of each season will be telecast on free to air television in the build up to the Finals series
  • From 2017 FOX SPORTS will run a dedicated Rugby League channel – giving the game more exposure than any time in the game’s history
  • News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played
  • And it will use its worldwide resources to take NRL on to the global stage where we believe over time its incredible appeal will see an army of new fans emerge
  • Telstra will remain the naming rights partner of the NRL and will telecast the game digitally on its mobile network as well as replays and highlights on its new Telstra TV platform in 2016.
Finance Detail
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that under the terms of the deal, which were being finalised by lawyers on Thursday night, News Corp and Foxtel partner Telstra have agreed to pay $1.175b over five years for the NRL’s pay-TV and digital rights.
Fox Sports will also simulcast the three free-to-air matches after taking up an option to pay Nine $25million per year for the rights, while News Corp paid $175million to buy back the Saturday night match and ensure the continuation of its Super Saturday franchise.
Telstra is understood to have paid $200million for the digital rights and is also expected to retain the naming rights for the NRL premiership, while the New Zealand broadcast rights could yield up to $150million

And According to you 1 exta team brought nothing.

Last edited:
When the 2018 deal was first signed it was about $1.8B and by the end of the 5 years it had grown to slighly over 1.9B

The no spin facts!

He's been shown many times how he is wrong .
Yet he keeps posting the same shit .
He will rant about Sky NZ or contra when he has nothing else .

Perth Red

Post Whore

The no spin facts!

Lol that is exactly what the figures I’ve put above show. The $87mill increase isn’t due to expansion. It’s due to the compettive tension with spark sports. The only increase in the Australian partners is worth zero cash. it’s really not hard to understand!

Perth Red

Post Whore
He's been shown many times how he is wrong .
Yet he keeps posting the same shit .
He will rant about Sky NZ or contra when he has nothing else .
How am I wrong? I’ve put the figures up, they are the facts. No cash increase from Australian tv partners. That’s a fact. only cash increase from skynz deal and that’s due to competition from spark not expansion. $89mill increase over 5 years and $25mill at least of it is contra.

max cash increase is $12.8mill a year. Expansion is costing $15mill a year. Yeh great deal Vlandys!

Those my boys are the facts.

tri_colours

Juniors
Lol that is exactly what the figures I’ve put above show. The $87mill increase isn’t due to expansion. It’s due to the compettive tension with spark sports. The only increase in the Australian partners is worth zero cash. it’s really not hard to understand!

Exactly, its not that hard.
The difference being slightly more than 200million dollars for this contract compared with the last.

tri_colours

Juniors
It’s no where near $200million lol. It’s $89million difference of which at least $25mill is contra.
Did'nt you say in your previous post they were the same? Remember this
PR. Lol that is exactly what the figures I’ve put above show.
Maybe you hadnt read it - went off half cocked?

Current contract $2b, 2018 contract = $1.8B = $200m

again
The deal is worth $1.8 billion to the NRL – 70 per cent higher than the existing rights.
With the sale of international and radio rights to come, it is anticipated that the total value of the final package will exceed $1.9 billion.

And yes your right it does seem difficult for some to understand.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did'nt you say in your previous post they were the same? Remember this

Maybe you hadnt read it - went off half cocked?

Current contract $2b, 2018 contract = $1.8B = $200m

again

And yes your right it does seem difficult for some to understand.
No and no and no lol

no I’ve said, because it’s a fact there is no extra cash coming from the australian component of this tv deal compared to last one.

no the last tv deal was not $1.8bill. it was $1.825 BEFORE the nz deal. With the nz deal included it was $1.925

no the new deal ist $2billion it’s $2.014billion

no the difference isnt $200million it’s $89million

you did get one thing right, some people really struggle to comprehend Facts!

tri_colours

Juniors
http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=121704No and no and no lol

no I’ve said, because it’s a fact there is no extra cash coming from the australian component of this tv deal compared to last one.

no the last tv deal was not $1.8bill. it was $1.825 BEFORE the nz deal. With the nz deal included it was $1.925

no the new deal ist $2billion it’s $2.014billion

no the difference isnt $200million it’s $89million

you did get one thing right, some people really struggle to comprehend Facts!
The previous deal was for $1.8 according to the NRL site , I think it may have been even even sliglhtly less and rounded to 1.8.

And thered are further parts of this broadcast deal - The possibility of an 18th team. As was pointed out telstra naming rights was most likely included in that figure.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The previous deal was for $1.8 according to the NRL site , I think it may have been even even sliglhtly less and rounded to 1.8.

And thered are further parts of this broadcast deal - The possibility of an 18th team. As was pointed out telstra naming rights was most likely included in that figure.
Jesus it’s not hard to understand, the deal was $1.825 billion BEFORE skynz, the total deal was for $1.925 billion in 2017-2022!

tri_colours

Juniors
I may have been the one that went off half cocked when I said $2m

But it is quiet clear that the amount put in by news/Telsta was 1.175 or 235m while SKY paid less than expected. So the overall total for the 2018 contract was 1.9B and that figure may well have included Telstra's naming rights.

The telco is extending its 17 year partnership with the NRL, signing a five year naming and mobile digital rights agreement providing access to the “best free and subscription content, including great live NRL action on mobiles”.

Finance Detail

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that under the terms of the deal, which were being finalised by lawyers on Thursday night, News Corp and Foxtel partner Telstra have agreed to pay $1.175b over five years for the NRL’s pay-TV and digital rights.
Fox Sports will also simulcast the three free-to-air matches after taking up an option to pay Nine $25million per year for the rights, while News Corp paid $175million to buy back the Saturday night match and ensure the continuation of its Super Saturday franchise.
Telstra is understood to have paid $200million for the digital rights and is also expected to retain the naming rights for the NRL premiership

And it would be good if you could name some sources so we know were your (rubbery) figures come from.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I may have been the one that went off half cocked when I said $2m

But it is quiet clear that the amount put in by news/Telsta was 1.175 or 235m while SKY paid less than expected. So the overall total for the 2018 contract was 1.9B and that figure may well have included Telstra's naming rights.

And it would be good if you could name some sources so we know were your (rubbery) figures come from.
The 2018-2022 deal was $1.925bill in total not including the telstra naming rights which sit under sponsorship. I’ve posted links in infinitum to all the news articles on the figures for the last deal and this deal if you’d like to trawl back through this thread!

based on what been printed these are the figures. It’s a real shame Vlandys has decided to hide the figures in the annual report So we can’t verify the news stories.

2018-
nine $115mill cash plus $10mill contra
Fox $240mill cash and contra
Skynzz $20mill cash and contra
total $385mill a year (around $25mill a year contra)
5 year deal total value $1.925bill

2023-
nine $115mill cash plus $15mill contra
fox $240mill cash and contra
sky nz $32.8 mill cash and contra
total $402.8mill (cash and contra break down not yet known)
5 year deal total value $2.014bill

increase $89mill over 5 years
Increase of $17.8mill a year of which at least $5mill is contra. Max cash increase $12.8mill a year.

Latest posts