What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
Taking the platform to two new providers is a huge risk. Im glad they are going first.

I hope you’re right. The thing I’m worried about is real competitive tension. The problem with our negotiations was that FTA didn’t have that competition - Channel 7 were somewhat interested but were probably offering a worse spread of coverage than currently.

Menaiduck

Juniors
I hope you’re right. The thing I’m worried about is real competitive tension. The problem with our negotiations was that FTA didn’t have that competition - Channel 7 were somewhat interested but were probably offering a worse spread of coverage than currently.
Yeah I get that but thinking of the long game we have a good contract in place and the opportunity to watch what happens with theirs. Our streaming ratings are outrageous this year so we are well positioned for the next rights. And we have more product to sell. We need an 18 team comp by then at least and we have origin and internationals. They have a lot less to offer.

Wb1234

Immortal
Well if ten does get the afl that leaves 7 and 9 for the league. Though the nrl does need another bidder against foxtel. That would really drive up the rights. Last time ten weren’t interested in the league so this is a win for the afl

Colk

First Grade
Yeah I get that but thinking of the long game we have a good contract in place and the opportunity to watch what happens with theirs. Our streaming ratings are outrageous this year so we are well positioned for the next rights. And we have more product to sell. We need an 18 team comp by then at least and we have origin and internationals. They have a lot less to offer.

The streaming numbers are a big positive. You are right about the increase in product which is a positive. Over the next 1-2 deals hopefully there is a 9th and possibly even 10th game to sell.

On their side, their options are what 2nd Brisbane or another QLD option and another regional side somewhere (probably TAS)

Interesting I saw somewhere that some famous AFL flog was talking up Newcastle as an option. Coming from Newcastle, I hope they do as it’s a high risk/low reward play for them.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
That’s terrible news
I wouldn`t worry too much, there are so many if`s and but`s around this and remember all the huffing and puffing around our negotiations.
Channel 10 is committed to soccer, $40m/ year, how would they work that in around fumble-ball, not just A-League but imagine all the programming clashes with internationals and all these foreign teams about to visit, and these games actually rate.
And the whole idea of putting the rest of the games behind a streaming paywall, Paramount, they would become invisible, I think the only other sport Paramount has is the FA Cup, so last millennium.
An important thing to remember also is that fumbleball ratings have declined on FTA by18 % since 2017 and 13 % on Foxtel. These are the numbers that broadcasters will be looking at. That`s a trend that infers the market is saturated and it will be very hard to turn around this structural decline. Especially for a competition that has nothing new to offer, just the same old teams year after year no boost through World Cups or internationals.
The fact that the afl are pissed off with Seven for canning two football related shows this year is revealing, Seven know where the numbers are heading, canning those shows ain`t going to help.

Colk

First Grade
Well if ten does get the afl that leaves 7 and 9 for the league. Though the nrl does need another bidder against foxtel. That would really drive up the rights. Last time ten weren’t interested in the league so this is a win for the afl

That’s my worry. I was very disappointed in Channel 7 in the last negotiations. I thought they would have had a bigger go at the NRL. It would have been a good opportunity to rid ourselves of the negativity of Channel 9

Menaiduck

Juniors
The streaming numbers are a big positive. You are right about the increase in product which is a positive. Over the next 1-2 deals hopefully there is a 9th and possibly even 10th game to sell.

On their side, their options are what 2nd Brisbane or another QLD option and another regional side somewhere (probably TAS)

Interesting I saw somewhere that some famous AFL flog was talking up Newcastle as an option. Coming from Newcastle, I hope they do as it’s a high risk/low reward play for them.
You can confidently rely on them being over confident lol. Tasmania won’t add much to any deal as it won’t add any viewers. In the end good on them whatever they do. As long as we get the best deal possible I really don’t care. AFL is a dog sport.

Colk

First Grade
I wouldn`t worry too much, there are so many if`s and but`s around this and remember all the huffing and puffing around our negotiations.
Channel 10 is committed to soccer, $40m/ year, how would they work that in around fumble-ball, not just A-League but imagine all the programming clashes with internationals and all these foreign teams about to visit, and these games actually rate.
And the whole idea of putting the rest of the games behind a streaming paywall, Paramount, they would become invisible, I think the only other sport Paramount has is the FA Cup, so last millennium.
An important thing to remember also is that fumbleball ratings have declined on FTA by18 % since 2017 and 13 % on Foxtel. These are the numbers that broadcasters will be looking at. That`s a trend that infers the market is saturated and it will be very hard to turn around this structural decline. Especially for a competition that has nothing new to offer, just the same old teams year after year no boost through World Cups or internationals.
The fact that the afl are pissed off with Seven for canning two football related shows this year is revealing, Seven know where the numbers are heading, canning those shows ain`t going to help.

Interesting development about Channel 7 canning those shows.

People might now be realising that it is a crap game. I did notice on the Fox Sports website that there were negative pieces about the game. That was refreshing considering the general wall to wall positivity that sport gets.

Colk

First Grade
You can confidently rely on them being over confident lol. Tasmania won’t add much to any deal as it won’t add any viewers. In the end good on them whatever they do. As long as we get the best deal possible I really don’t care. AFL is a dog sport.

They are incredibly over confident. Always have been. Tasmania would be safe for them. I laughed at the Newcastle thing though- that is classic AwFuL. Personally I don’t think they have many options on the table - which is a good thing

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Interesting development about Channel 7 canning those shows.

People might now be realising that it is a crap game. I did notice on the Fox Sports website that there were negative pieces about the game. That was refreshing considering the general wall to wall positivity that sport gets.
I saw a piece during the week that for the first time in twenty years Seven aren`t sharing goal-analysis with Foxtel, or something like that, I wasn`t paying a lot of notice and to be frank I had no idea what they were talking about. But the point was for the first time in 20 years they weren`t sharing something with Foxtel, so all is not rosy there either.
I think we can safely assume that V`landy`s and crew will be working behind the scenes to remind Foxtel of which code rates the most as well. He did try to have a clause inserted last time they they couldn`t be payed more than us.
Playing the long game NRL has so much more room for growth than f-ball, if they`re getting to the point of talking about teams in Tasmania and N.T. they are getting desperate, guaranteed money-pits and let`s not forget their women want a 107 % pay-rise for the aflw - the potential greatest money-pit of all.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
They are incredibly over confident. Always have been. Tasmania would be safe for them. I laughed at the Newcastle thing though- that is classic AwFuL. Personally I don’t think they have many options on the table - which is a good thing
How would Tasmania be safe, population 500K spread to the four-winds and a tiny economy, more dilution of players and another Gold Coast in the making.

The_Wookie

Bench

Tasmania will go well. WA 3 probably the next real viable option. NT or Canberra if they are visionary

The_Wookie

Bench
I saw a piece during the week that for the first time in twenty years Seven aren`t sharing goal-analysis with Foxtel, or something like that, I wasn`t paying a lot of notice and to be frank I had no idea what they were talking about. But the point was for the first time in 20 years they weren`t sharing something with Foxtel, so all is not rosy there either.
I think we can safely assume that V`landy`s and crew will be working behind the scenes to remind Foxtel of which code rates the most as well. He did try to have a clause inserted last time they they couldn`t be payed more than us.
Playing the long game NRL has so much more room for growth than f-ball, if they`re getting to the point of talking about teams in Tasmania and N.T. they are getting desperate, guaranteed money-pits and let`s not forget their women want a 107 % pay-rise for the aflw - the potential greatest money-pit of all.

The sharing thing with Fox is nothing new, its just for a little while they actually did, and now for some reason theyve stopped again. For most of the 20 year period they havent given commentary during the breaks as its only foxtel and its viewers benefit

The_Wookie

Bench
That’s my worry. I was very disappointed in Channel 7 in the last negotiations. I thought they would have had a bigger go at the NRL. It would have been a good opportunity to rid ourselves of the negativity of Channel 9
If Ten get the AFL, then Seven will have to go for the NRL in 2027

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Tasmania will go well. WA 3 probably the next real viable option. NT or Canberra if they are visionary
There is no way Australia is big enough to support a competition that big, we are not North America population 330m.
As I said afl market is close to saturation, people are already turning off the recycled hype of channel 7, because when you don`t have an international profile, representative calendar and matches to break things up at some point you are just recycling the same thing over and over. How long can it last, I predict a long slow decline.

Colk

First Grade
How would Tasmania be safe, population 500K spread to the four-winds and a tiny economy, more dilution of players and another Gold Coast in the making.

I agree, not from a commercial perspective but it’s pretty safe from an attendance perspective.