What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Wb1234

Referee
That’s my worry. I was very disappointed in Channel 7 in the last negotiations. I thought they would have had a bigger go at the NRL. It would have been a good opportunity to rid ourselves of the negativity of Channel 9
I can’t see 7 or fox losing it tbh but it will help them get a better number for sure.

Wb1234

Referee
They are incredibly over confident. Always have been. Tasmania would be safe for them. I laughed at the Newcastle thing though- that is classic AwFuL. Personally I don’t think they have many options on the table - which is a good thing
If I was the afl I would be going cairns and either Newcastle or nz

they should just force a melb club to move given they give clubs like st Kilda an extra 8 million pa

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The thing is no matter what FTA broadcaster their rights go to what is going to be different. We laud C 7`s coverage on here ( cf. to 9`s) and they bend over backwards to make it work and yet ratings still show long-term decline. Do you really think that C 10 are going to be any different; when you have a limited product to work with, you`re just hyping the same thing all the time, which we have seen on Seven, people will gradually tire of.
afl`s great strength has been its` availability on FTA, the more it goes behind a pay-wall the less accessible it becomes and hence the decline.

Wb1234

Referee
There is no way Australia is big enough to support a competition that big, we are not North America population 330m.
As I said afl market is close to saturation, people are already turning off the recycled hype of channel 7, because when you don`t have an international profile, representative calendar and matches to break things up at some point you are just recycling the same thing over and over. How long can it last, I predict a long slow decline.
Disagree

I actually think the nrl should be aiming for 20 teams at a minimum if not 22

I do think after 18 teams afl doesn’t have the player depth but they have the crowds

Wb1234

Referee
The thing is no matter what FTA broadcaster their rights go to what is going to be different. We laud C 7`s coverage on here ( cf. to 9`s) and they bend over backwards to make it work and yet ratings still show long-term decline. Do you really think that C 10 are going to be any different; when you have a limited product to work with, you`re just hyping the same thing all the time, which we have seen on Seven, people will gradually tire of.
afl`s great strength has been its` availability on FTA, the more it goes behind a pay-wall the less accessible it becomes and hence the decline.
The less games on fta also means the lower their ratings go. That was their biggest advantage over us was how much extra fta coverage they get

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
If I was the afl I would be going cairns and either Newcastle or nz

they should just force a melb club to move given they give clubs like st Kilda an extra 8 million pa
If that happens mate it will be the greatest mickey-mouse competition of all time.
Let`s not forget they are having a hard time with participation rates as well, migrants don`t play fumble-ball, it would be the most diluted, low-skill competition you could imagine, God awful, bit like aflw come to think of it.

Colk

First Grade
Disagree

I actually think the nrl should be aiming for 20 teams at a minimum if not 22

I do think after 18 teams afl doesn’t have the player depth but they have the crowds

Ironically, given the fact that their game requires so little skill they could probably go to 22 teams.

If the NRL were ever going to go to something like 22, it would have to involve some Pacific teams in order to generate the talent necessary. 20 is definitely something that we can aim for

Colk

First Grade
If that happens mate it will be the greatest mickey-mouse competition of all time.
Let`s not forget they are having a hard time with participation rates as well, migrants don`t play fumble-ball, it would be the most diluted, low-skill competition you could imagine, God awful, bit like aflw come to think of it.

How would that be any different to what it is now?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Ironically, given the fact that their game requires so little skill they could probably go to 22 teams.

If the NRL were ever going to go to something like 22, it would have to involve some Pacific teams in order to generate the talent necessary. 20 is definitely something that we can aim for
There is a lot of hand-wringing going on in NZ now about the future of super rugby, 5 teams is way too many for an economy one-fifth the size of Oz. Their TV deal is $80m/yr and that includes the all-blacks, a pittance compared to ours.
However if they were in the NRL 4 would probably be fine for a 5 million pop. country.
Forget Pacific Island teams, no money in those countries and no infrastructure, but great for NSW or QLD cup teams and steady streams of talent.

Colk

First Grade
There is a lot of hand-wringing going on in NZ now about the future of super rugby, 5 teams is way too many for an economy one-fifth the size of Oz. Their TV deal is $80m/yr and that includes the all-blacks, a pittance compared to ours.
However if they were in the NRL 4 would probably be fine for a 5 million pop. country.
Forget Pacific Island teams, no money in those countries and no infrastructure, but great for NSW or QLD cup teams and steady streams of talent.

You wouldn’t be putting in teams from the Pacific because of the commercial value that’s for sure. It would be a total loss making venture and I actually don’t think it is viable but the talent needed for 22 teams would be a concern. 20 would even be a stretch but in order to have a national competition and to include at least one extra NZ team, you would have to go that number

Hmm interesting article. For a $80m TV deal they could probably only have three teams realistically. I definitely think we could put another side and really target union, even suggest incentives/cap discounts for the Warriors and the other side to help lure some talent over.

Wb1234

Referee
Imagine they threw money at those areas though. Both offer massive

for me

1 nz2 (2025)
2. West Brisbane 2027
3. Perth 2030

Are a must

then a combined png and cairns bid them Adelaide

Wb1234

Referee
You wouldn’t be putting in teams from the Pacific because of the commercial value that’s for sure. It would be a total loss making venture and I actually don’t think it is viable but the talent needed for 22 teams would be a concern. 20 would even be a stretch but in order to have a national competition and to include at least one extra NZ team, you would have to go that number

Hmm interesting article. For a $80m TV deal they could probably only have three teams realistically. I definitely think we could put another side and really target union, even suggest incentives/cap discounts for the Warriors and the other side to help lure some talent over.
A combined pi team playing out of Fiji Tonga and Samoa would be interesting that’s for sure.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
even suggest incentives/cap discounts for the Warriors and the other side to help lure some talent over.
It pisses me off no end that we`ve never given the Warriors a leg-up, (selfish f**king NRL clubs), I used to say and still do they should have been as big as the Broncos (when the Broncos were good) and been in 4 GF`s by now and won 2. Imagine what that would do for League in NZ. I know Kiwi League lovers and they say it would be absolutely massive and it would be.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Forget PI or PNG teams there`s not enough money. super rugby bought them in because they were panicking about League in the Pacific and look at what a f**king disaster its` been, one team wants to forfeit this weekend. Teams based away from home and moving around won`t work. Let`s just concentrate on Oz and NZ

Colk

First Grade
It pisses me off no end that we`ve never given the Warriors a leg-up, (selfish f**king NRL clubs), I used to say and still do they should have been as big as the Broncos (when the Broncos were good) and been in 4 GF`s by now and won 2. Imagine what that would do for League in NZ. I know Kiwi League lovers and they say it would be absolutely massive and it would be.

Exactly. If we are going to expand properly we need to get our hands dirty. Give teams incentives (salary cap) to bring in talent from the Pacific Islands or to poach players from union. Imagine if the Warriors/NZ 2 were able to poach high profile All Blacks. It would make their sides better and it would generate massive interest.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
5hey e
Tasmania will go well. WA 3 probably the next real viable option. NT or Canberra if they are visionary
got plenty of options because they aren’t afraid to cover the costs of a poorly supported club for a long time.
perth3, Darwin, tassie, canberra, brisbane2 all options if they want to throw another $30mill a year at a club or three. I guess if tv is paying for it like it did for suns and gws then they won’t care what it costs. If it isn’t bluster and ten/paramount are prepared to pay more than $473 mill a year then they will be very cashed up again.

It’s hard to see how the cheap streaming cost per month can cover the sort of figures they would need to pay? Does sound like only signing a two year extension could pay dividends for them.
It couldn't cover it. Kayo is priced at $25 a month. It's not enough to cover the broadcast rights they pay for the sports available on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Foxtel cut BeIN Sport loose at some stage. As a standalone product it is about $20 per month on other platforms. Foxtel must be paying close to that to include it in their Kayo and Foxtel Sports packages.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It couldn't cover it. Kayo is priced at $25 a month. It's not enough to cover the broadcast rights they pay for the sports available on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Foxtel cut BeIN Sport loose at some stage. As a standalone product it is about $20 per month on other platforms. Foxtel must be paying close to that to include it in their Kayo and Foxtel Sports packages.
Yeh I dont see how the low cost streaming service can make it work. Even if they charged $20 a month they’d have to get over 1.25million subscribers to turn a profit. Fox is going to face the same problem as more people migrate from foxtel to kayo over the coming years. Maybe we will see ads brought into the game coverage like in fta more and more?