What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

It makes sense for AFL to consider that.. however, they're in a game of "chicken" with the NRL over the Gold Coast.. the feeling seems to be "who blinks first & relocates their GC team will yield that location to the other code".

Funny, though - because I wonder if the Suns would be better for being based in North Queensland or NT. (Maybe Cairns, with a few games per year in Darwin?)
They could become the Northern Suns, based out of Cairns and play a few games in Darwin. SEQ cannot support two AwFuL clubs.

I meant off the field.
In what way? In fans leaving AFL to watch the Dolphins or in sponsors leaving Lions to sponsor Dolphins instead? Itd be hard to tell for a while re fans as they seem to have the biggest band wagon fans in Australia with crowds going up and down from highs of 33k to a low of 16k!
Easts Tigers would have been a great counter to the Lions as they're both bases in the same area. If PVL really wants to take on AwFuL over the next decade then bring in the Easts Tigers and chip away at their corporate base in south-east Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Easts Tigers would have been a great counter to the Lions as they're both bases in the same area. If PVL really wants to take on AwFuL over the next decade then bring in the Easts Tigers and chip away at their corporate base in south-east Brisbane.
Broncos will never allow it. They choose Dolphins as it was the least offensive to the News ltd Bronco's interests.

Wb1234

Referee
It can if AFL can afford to keep tipping in $53million a year for both clubs.
Honestly the afl is crazy. They haven’t even sorted out the finances of the last two expansion teams.

then you’ve got the Brisbane lions who are another basket case and pretty much have been for a decade.

they are ruining their balance sheet funding these teams in the hope they will become financially viable. There will come a time when reality kicks in and all these poor expansion choices will ruin them

Wb1234

Referee
Broncos will never allow it. They choose Dolphins as it was the least offensive to the News ltd Bronco's interests.
Yep exactly

plus the north is actually a growth coridoor

the dolphins will end up playing most of their games in Redcliffe when they get the stadium upgraded to 30k leaving the derby games at Suncorp vs the other qld sides

western Brisbane teams covers the other growth coridoor which covers Brisbane nicely

Perth Red

Post Whore
Honestly the afl is crazy. They haven’t even sorted out the finances of the last two expansion teams.

then you’ve got the Brisbane lions who are another basket case and pretty much have been for a decade.

they are ruining their balance sheet funding these teams in the hope they will become financially viable. There will come a time when reality kicks in and all these poor expansion choices will ruin them
yes and no, their balance sheet is very healthy (or was pre covid) and they have been able to afford the significant investment into non afl states due to a significantly growing revenue. They also have invested in some failing heartland clubs to around the same amount. If their Tv rights ever took a big hit then they'd have to have a serious look at club grants but whilst they are bringing in $800mill a year they can afford to keep these clubs afloat and still have enough surplus to build their asset base. With their big tv deals in 23 & 24 their revenue is set to go even higher then a lot will depend on what happens with TV deals 25 onwards. If they top the $473mill a year they can basically start up clubs wherever they want as they will have the funds to do so.

They have the benefit of a number of areas over us:
1. Variable grant scheme
2. Larger revenue
3. Stronger state leagues who dont require as much central funding
4. The commission controls the clubs, not the other way around (though Vlandys has at least wrestled some of this back in recent times)

These means they can spend a lot more propping clubs up and still have surpluses.

the advantage we have is its cheaper to run clubs and the NRL wouldn't have to spend $26million a year in an expansion club if it ever wanted to become a national comp.

Which is why our game will never reach its potential. The sooner a streaming service steps in and takes the broadcast rights away from News Ltd the better, as it will prevent the Broncos from holding RL in Brisbane hostage.

Yep exactly

plus the north is actually a growth coridoor

the dolphins will end up playing most of their games in Redcliffe when they get the stadium upgraded to 30k leaving the derby games at Suncorp vs the other qld sides

western Brisbane teams covers the other growth coridoor which covers Brisbane nicely
Redcliffe have no plans on upgrading the northern, eastern and western stands. I was told this by a spokesman from the club when I contacted them on this subject.

There is room for a southern stand to be built next to the Leagues Club, but that will only increase capacity by a couple of thousand.

Logan and south-east Brisbane is set to grow. There's the SE Busway thst travels through southeast Brisbane and is set to expand to the Logan Hyperdome. There's been a lot of development in Rochedale and Springwood.

Opinion piece on AwFuL trying to get American streaming services to bid.

Colk

First Grade
Opinion piece on AwFuL trying to get American streaming services to bid.

God imagine the poor Americans looking at that s***

Colk

First Grade
For the life of me I don’t understand how it’s so popular. Like if it was the only sport available to watch on tv I still wouldn’t watch it.

it’s an embarrassment that it is considered the ‘national’ game. I remember talking to a Victorian in a pub in France and they had AFL on TV. He gave the typical speech about how you have to like it because it’s Australian. It could come from Moldova for all I care, it’s a s***game.

colly

Juniors
This has been an official AFLOL propaganda DEPT media release .
Lol
Anonymous & un named AFLOL spokesman .
So many lols
The usual we will write complete bullshit & hope no one questions us .
Your right Phil, Industry Sources is the go to authority banter when 'they' want to tell whoppers. Notice 'Industry sources' say $500 million is 'possible'. In a later 'the age' propaganda story, they repeat industry sources for a $473 million per year for 2022,2023. As explained before how marshmallow is this figure. Seemly Telstra pays for rights that they don't show- real experienced Telstra business executives their. Or Foxtel pay $353 per year ( 473,total, minus Seven TV $150 leaves $353 for Fox to pay. And get this they want to get rid of Foxtel and go to Paramount-Plus when they are getting according to them $473 per year/$946 over two years. I don't like the AFL but his a bit of advice- just ask for the same deal their getting now becuase you won't get any better, in fact, you will be lucky to serious cash over $370 per year. Or as a "industry source" told me.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
The pipe dream imo is 24 teams

2 conferences playing home and away
Finals to be based on a top 5 system
Which allows both Sydney and Brisbane to have a grand final
Super bowl for the overall winner to be held in the city which bids the highest
You can do that now with 18 teams

God imagine the poor Americans looking at that s***
It would be like trying to watch ice hockey. Impossible to keep up with the chaos.
For the life of me I don’t understand how it’s so popular. Like if it was the only sport available to watch on tv I still wouldn’t watch it.
I think it's a status thing. It's considered "Australian" and is in bed with the elites, so yuppies hop on the bandwagon.

colly

Juniors
Your right Phil, Industry Sources is the go to authority banter when 'they' want to tell whoppers. Notice 'Industry sources' say $500 million is 'possible'. In a later 'the age' propaganda story, they repeat industry sources for a $473 million per year for 2022,2023. As explained before how marshmallow is this figure. Seemly Telstra pays for rights that they don't show- real experienced Telstra business executives their. Or Foxtel pay $353 per year ( 473,total, minus Seven TV $150 leaves $353 for Fox to pay. And get this they want to get rid of Foxtel and go to Paramount-Plus when they are getting according to them $473 per year/$946 over two years. I don't like the AFL but his a bit of advice- just ask for the same deal their getting now becuase you won't get any better, in fact, you will be lucky to serious cash over $370 per year. Or as a "industry source" told me.
I hope they AFL hook up with Paramount-Plus as this story rightly explains.......
With this 'relationship "Industry' Sources say another NRL Melbourne franchise will be in the offing OR the AFL will get substantially less this deal for pissi ng off Fox/Kayo, watch as they give the two finger salute.. Not so happy days at AFL house, Notice how ill informed part of this channel sources story is - the claim that the AFL get Foxel pay $350... 2023-2024. What utter bullshit. Lets recap due to 'rona' a discount was applied to the $215 per year because of the plandemic. So after reducing the $215 per year they reasonable quickly enter into negotiations for the 2023- 2024 seasons ( after trying up seven for the same amount as before) so the story must go something like this Foxtel executives totally lost it, instead of paying paying $215 per year like the last deal ( with 'rona' discounts ) Foxtel would pay a extra $135 more on top of the $215 ie total $350 makes total sense to me. I am told Foxtel executives managed to negotiated a $135 million increase just for the fun of it , plenty of money to go around.. Just like telstra phantoms showing dark live AFL, you just need the right Tor browser then it's all their.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I hope they AFL hook up with Paramount-Plus as this story rightly explains.......
With this 'relationship "Industry' Sources say another NRL Melbourne franchise will be in the offing OR the AFL will get substantially less this deal for pissi ng off Fox/Kayo, watch as they give the two finger salute.. Not so happy days at AFL house, Notice how ill informed part of this channel sources story is - the claim that the AFL get Foxel pay $350... 2023-2024. What utter bullshit. Lets recap due to 'rona' a discount was applied to the $215 per year because of the plandemic. So after reducing the $215 per year they reasonable quickly enter into negotiations for the 2023- 2024 seasons ( after trying up seven for the same amount as before) so the story must go something like this Foxtel executives totally lost it, instead of paying paying $215 per year like the last deal ( with 'rona' discounts ) Foxtel would pay a extra $135 more on top of the $215 ie total $350 makes total sense to me. I am told Foxtel executives managed to negotiated a $135 million increase just for the fun of it , plenty of money to go around.. Just like telstra phantoms showing dark live AFL, you just need the right Tor browser then it's all their.

Where does it mention anything about a 2nd Melbourne side?

colly

Juniors
Where does it mention anything about a 2nd Melbourne side?
Sorry to mislead you- it's not in the article- I was just taking the pi$$ out of the AFL -if Paramount plus gets the go ahead I thought maybe, maybe they might embrace NRL

Latest posts