What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
Wince covid foxtel has really turned around it’s financesz. First they got rid of a league and rugby, which saved around 60 to 80 million pa.

and the ratings for kayo have gone through the roof. Before streaming, nrl games were averaging around 300k viewers

now with the boom in kayo it seems the average is well over 430k so there’s a net gain of over 130k viewers just from the nrl

one day someone is going to see the nrl pay tv numbers and make a serious pitch for them. That will result in foxtel having to let the afl go to be able to afford the nrl.

the afl tv ratings on foxtel are terrible. If anything foxtel should be cutting now much it pays afl

Foxtel cannot survive on the NRL alone. The costs will be enormous,

Wince covid foxtel has really turned around it’s financesz. First they got rid of a league and rugby, which saved around 60 to 80 million pa.

and the ratings for kayo have gone through the roof. Before streaming, nrl games were averaging around 300k viewers

now with the boom in kayo it seems the average is well over 430k so there’s a net gain of over 130k viewers just from the nrl

one day someone is going to see the nrl pay tv numbers and make a serious pitch for them. That will result in foxtel having to let the afl go to be able to afford the nrl.

the afl tv ratings on foxtel are terrible. If anything foxtel should be cutting now much it pays afl
The problem for Foxtel is the $25 per month subscription fee for Kayo isn't enough to recoup the losses from paying so much sporting content. Kayo's growth comes at the demise of Foxtel, as people are cutting the cord for the cheaper option. Foxtel will need to cut back spending to survive.

Wb1234

Referee
The problem for Foxtel is the $25 per month subscription fee for Kayo isn't enough to recoup the losses from paying so much sporting content. Kayo's growth comes at the demise of Foxtel, as people are cutting the cord for the cheaper option. Foxtel will need to cut back spending to survive.
My post has shown how the total number of viewers has risen by 30 percent or so for rugby league.

and tbh I don’t think the growth is stopping soon. Fox will soon become more watched than 9

Kayo goes up to $27.50 this month.
$2.50 isn't a lot singularly, but all subscribers together in Australia will be boosting their gains significantly per annum.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
$2.50 isn't a lot singularly, but all subscribers together in Australia will be boosting their gains significantly per annum.
What is it 2.4m subscribers, so that`s only $ 6m more according to my calculations. Doesn`t sound like enough if people are abandoning their STB`s and expecting to get their NRL or afl purely through streaming.

The_Wookie

Bench

The average subscription TV audience (Foxtel) for the NRL was 240,879 in 2018 (up 3 per cent on 2017).
The average free-to-air audience for the NRL was 600,181 in 2018 during the premiership season

The average Fox Group rating in 2022 is 425,000 as reported 2 weeks ago. (up 88%)
The average FTA audience in 2022 is 459,000. (down 23%)

Part of the problem is that Kayo audiences are worth much less to Fox than STB audiences per customer value and they are down 6% - more than made up by the 88% increase overall, but those extra viewers are paying much less in return.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even if there is 700k people, who get kayo at that price primarily for nrl, that’s only $231mill a year. Fox currently pay nrl $340mill plus say $25mill production and streaming costs. thats still a $100mill plus gap a year if it was reliant on just kayo Revenue.

I went from paying $110 a month for foxtel to $15 for Kayo. That’s fox’s main problem.

Wb1234

Referee
The average subscription TV audience (Foxtel) for the NRL was 240,879 in 2018 (up 3 per cent on 2017).
The average free-to-air audience for the NRL was 600,181 in 2018 during the premiership season

The average Fox Group rating in 2022 is 425,000 as reported 2 weeks ago. (up 88%)
The average FTA audience in 2022 is 459,000. (down 23%)

Part of the problem is that Kayo audiences are worth much less to Fox than STB audiences per customer value and they are down 6% - more than made up by the 88% increase overall, but those extra viewers are paying much less in return.
Yeh but in previous years there were people watching for free on the Telstra app. Since that’s been stopped they have migrated back to foxtel via kayo.
Either way it proves my point that foxtel has grown subscribers a lot and so has its revenues

What is it 2.4m subscribers, so that`s only $ 6m more according to my calculations. Doesn`t sound like enough if people are abandoning their STB`s and expecting to get their NRL or afl purely through streaming.

Do you think these companies take on the rights to make a loss?
They just added a few million by doing nothing except adding a figure that they knew the consumer wouldn't care about.
Their KPI's maybhave been made, who knows. No one with Kayo would take it personally, or care.
Even if there is 700k people, who get kayo at that price primarily for nrl, that’s only $231mill a year. Fox currently pay nrl $340mill plus say $25mill production and streaming costs. thats still a $100mill plus gap a year if it was reliant on just kayo Revenue.

I went from paying $110 a month for foxtel to $15 for Kayo. That’s fox’s main problem.
So you just realised that you could personally save a shitload a month from dropping Foxtel?
The rest of us did that a few years ago.
Are you proud of giving them money for nothing for a few years?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They just added a few million by doing nothing except adding a figure that they knew the consumer wouldn't care about.
Their KPI's maybhave been made, who knows. No one with Kayo would take it personally, or care.

So you just realised that you could personally save a shitload a month from dropping Foxtel?
I had to buy a new telly and convince the wife she didn’t need the uk channels lol but I think you may have missed my point, more and more people are switching from expensive foxtel packages to cheap kayo packages, even laggards like me!

I had to buy a new telly and convince the wife she didn’t need the uk channels lol but I think you may have missed my point, more and more people are switching from expensive foxtel packages to cheap kayo packages, even laggards like me!
I did not miss the point. They took your cash, which you were satisfied to hand over, the rest of us went "hang on a sec... we can get the NRL without all the other BS"
FFs I got Kayo for the $25 per month , and I got their Binge! for $10 per month, and Binge has the UK Channels. so you were one of those that didn't come to a realisation that you could get the same things for much less. They love your type of people!!
I could add Stan and Netflix, and still be way behind what you are charged on Foxtel.
I'm glad you finally saw what a lot of us saw years ago.

edit, and I needed no new telly, Chromecast off your phone/ipad lets that all go.
Welcome to the new world
Edit 2: I left out Amazon/Prime, Disney, Apple TV.
All of these still less than what you were paying NEW LTD without a thought.
Geez man.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I have no experience with any of the streaming services but wonder whether like FTA, Foxtel might see Kayo as a loss leader knowing if they get their x-amount of hundred thousand in for NRL they then might know a certain number will be tempted to add other products. Bit like what you did with Binge.

Menaiduck

Juniors
I changed to kayo and changed back. I like Fox and the convenience of its services.

colly

Juniors
Vlandys should resign if fox pays AFL more than NRL this time
What would be a hoot if the AFL get $350 million dollars their are getting NOW from FOXTEL and if the Dill doesn't get that ($350 million dollars) OR more, he should be forced to resign immediately.

Quote-
Currently McLachlan is putting on a dog and pony show in the USA in an effort to build the perception, that Amazon Prime Video and Paramount +, two big US content groups are actually interested in bidding for the AFL rights.

Personally, I think he is trying to get more than the $350 million he got last time from Foxtel, and the dog and pony show is more an exercise in negotiation charades in an effort to get Stan, seven + and Foxtel to outbid each other for streaming rights.

Dreams , Dreams, Dreams

Last edited:
I have no experience with any of the streaming services but wonder whether like FTA, Foxtel might see Kayo as a loss leader knowing if they get their x-amount of hundred thousand in for NRL they then might know a certain number will be tempted to add other products. Bit like what you did with Binge.
I'm not a good example. I turn Kayo off as soon as the footy season is over, and I chop and change between Binge, Stan, Netflix etc. I never let them be able to take the $10 just for the sake of it. If I'm not using a stream service much I cancel it.
In saying that, I get your point, and it's a good one.

My post has shown how the total number of viewers has risen by 30 percent or so for rugby league.

and tbh I don’t think the growth is stopping soon. Fox will soon become more watched than 9
Foxtel subscriptions are declining.

Look at the maths.

Foxtel Sports HD = $74 without a special offer.

Kayo Sport HD = $25

That's a $49 hit Foxtel are taking when a customer unsubscribes from their traditional model and watches NRL via Kayo Sports. Foxtel is going to lose more drama as content producers launch their own streaming services. This will increase the migration of customers from Foxtel to Kayo Sports HD. Even if customers choose to subscribe to Binge HD for $14 and Kayo Sports HD for $25, thats just $39 in total revenue and $35 short of what they were paying for Foxtel Sports HD. It's only the older generation who haven't embraced the internet and technologically handicapped that remain with the traditional Foxtel model. Everyone else is with the streaming services.

Foxtel will need to shed content and slash spending to reign in their $2 billion debt.

Wb1234

Referee

Foxtel subscriptions are declining.
Look at the maths.

Foxtel Sports HD = $74 without a special offer.

Kayo Sport HD = $25

That's a $49 hit Foxtel are taking when a customer unsubscribes from their traditional model and watches NRL via Kayo Sports. Foxtel is going to lose more drama as content producers launch their own streaming services. This will increase the migration of customers from Foxtel to Kayo Sports HD. Even if customers choose to subscribe to Binge HD for $14 and Kayo Sports HD for $25, thats just $39 in total revenue and $35 short of what they were paying for Foxtel Sports HD. It's only the older generation who haven't embraced the internet and technologically handicapped that remain with the traditional Foxtel model. Everyone else is with the streaming services.

Foxtel will need to shed content and slash spending to reign in their $2 billion debt.
google their latest financials

ebit is up, free cash flow is up, subscribers are up

colly

Juniors
What would be a hoot if the AFL get $350 million dollars their are getting NOW from FOXTEL and if the Dill doesn't get that ($350 million dollars) OR more, he should be forced to resign immediately.

Quote-
Currently McLachlan is putting on a dog and pony show in the USA in an effort to build the perception, that Amazon Prime Video and Paramount +, two big US content groups are actually interested in bidding for the AFL rights.

Personally, I think he is trying to get more than the $350 million he got last time from Foxtel, and the dog and pony show is more an exercise in negotiation charades in an effort to get Stan, seven + and Foxtel to outbid each other for streaming rights.

Dreams , Dreams, Dreams
Hang on their if Foxtel is paying the AFL $350m and Seven network $150 that's a cool half billion, something to crow about if it were true. Industry sources says same BS and lame stream media repeat fabricated deal numbers - from the master fabricator himself (Dill) must be because the AFL can see their number 1 position falling to the NRL which have overtaken them, or very soon will when our over $400 million yearly dollar deals start- well next year, 2023, of course.

Latest posts