What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Wb1234

Referee
I hope they AFL hook up with Paramount-Plus as this story rightly explains.......
With this 'relationship "Industry' Sources say another NRL Melbourne franchise will be in the offing OR the AFL will get substantially less this deal for pissi ng off Fox/Kayo, watch as they give the two finger salute.. Not so happy days at AFL house, Notice how ill informed part of this channel sources story is - the claim that the AFL get Foxel pay $350... 2023-2024. What utter bullshit. Lets recap due to 'rona' a discount was applied to the $215 per year because of the plandemic. So after reducing the $215 per year they reasonable quickly enter into negotiations for the 2023- 2024 seasons ( after trying up seven for the same amount as before) so the story must go something like this Foxtel executives totally lost it, instead of paying paying $215 per year like the last deal ( with 'rona' discounts ) Foxtel would pay a extra $135 more on top of the $215 ie total $350 makes total sense to me. I am told Foxtel executives managed to negotiated a $135 million increase just for the fun of it , plenty of money to go around.. Just like telstra phantoms showing dark live AFL, you just need the right Tor browser then it's all their.
That’s actually a fair point. Paramount plus will see much lower pay viewers. Foxtel obviously are a much bigger operator

the storm game on the weekend got almost 600k
Viewers. This is what happened to club union in England they went from sky to a smaller operator and their ratings halved

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Another day another English soccer team coming to Oz, I`d love to see fumbleball trying to schedule its` games to compete with that on Channel 10.
This Ch. 10 is all rubbish.

Vee

First Grade
You can confidently rely on them being over confident lol. Tasmania won’t add much to any deal as it won’t add any viewers. In the end good on them whatever they do. As long as we get the best deal possible I really don’t care. AFL is a dog sport.
Are we going with a new policy?

Menaiduck

Juniors
That’s actually a fair point. Paramount plus will see much lower pay viewers. Foxtel obviously are a much bigger operator

Viewers. This is what happened to club union in England they went from sky to a smaller operator and their ratings halved
As I wrote earlier we should be happy they are jumping into this first. Their egos often get the better of them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As I wrote earlier we should be happy they are jumping into this first. Their egos often get the better of them.
That depends how successful they are with it! they have 2 years earning $70mill more than us and if they get three years even more from a competitive rights fight between Fox/7 and Paramount/10 and then we are back to square one in revenue gap by the time we negotiate the next Tv deal. Of course they might end up with less than our $400mill come 2025, only time will tell.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
That depends how successful they are with it! they have 2 years earning $70mill more than us and if they get three years even more from a competitive rights fight between Fox/7 and Paramount/10 and then we are back to square one in revenue gap by the time we negotiate the next Tv deal. Of course they might end up with less than our $400mill come 2025, only time will tell.
NZRU released their accounts for last year today, total revenue about $180m (NZ) or $172m Oz, once we get our hands on that there`s your $70m difference plus some.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I’m guessing that private equity deal never went through ?
I think it`s stalled.
To be honest I`m not too worried about private equity, they get their x-amount of millions, they spend it and they`re back to the original situation, as someone said if you`ve been running the business properly why do you need PI.
My only concern with PI is that they may insist on rule changes to make that god-awful game more attractive, more like League basically.

Wb1234

Referee
I think it`s stalled.
To be honest I`m not too worried about private equity, they get their x-amount of millions, they spend it and they`re back to the original situation, as someone said if you`ve been running the business properly why do you need PI.
My only concern with PI is that they may insist on rule changes to make that god-awful game more attractive, more like League basically.
But the fact they didn’t get that billion means they are more vulnerable now to nz2 by the nrl. Especially with the collapse of super rugby

You mean to say a game not involving a Sydney team drew more viewers than games that did?

You've been ranting and raving in the expansion board about how unimportant the non-Sydney clubs are to the broadcasters!

Can you now see why it's important to add a team to Perth?

Dugtrio

Juniors
Interesting development about Channel 7 canning those shows.

People might now be realising that it is a crap game. I did notice on the Fox Sports website that there were negative pieces about the game. That was refreshing considering the general wall to wall positivity that sport gets.
I remember there being talk when rights were renegotiated during Covid that 7 would drop some non game-day related afl content to reduce expenditure. It read as if these shows were tied to the rights contract as contra, which I hadn’t heard before. I’ll have a search for articles from the time and see what I find.

Wb1234

Referee
You mean to say a game not involving a Sydney team drew more viewers than games that did?

You've been ranting and raving in the expansion board about how unimportant the non-Sydney clubs are to the broadcasters!

Can you now see why it's important to add a team to Perth?
No lol

and I said unimportant to nine. I never mentioned foxtel

Wb1234

Referee
So unimportant that ch9 show more melbourne games than a number of Sydney teams lol.
Stop being obtuse

they aren’t interested in showing them in Melbourne

how many times a year do they show them against the afl head to head in Melbourne ? Lol

colly

Juniors

And so the AFL think they can play off a Ten parramount/ and Seven/foxtel to get high $$$. Well if paramount will do a shit job BUT if they think they can strangle more from Foxtel- tell the Dill his dreaming.

Quote from Unheard, regarding the fiances of Seven (debt pile) and Foxtel 2Billion debt. with Murocks/Telstra already having given Personal loans to keep afloat. So I see Fox won't go big on AFL because the money isn't their..

"""
The finances will be perilous whichever broadcaster AFL ends up with. Historically sponsors and advertisers have been persuaded to increase their rates when a rights deal cost increases, but is there a point beyond which they would not go?

Parent company guarantees could play a role in negotiating any long term AFL deal. With Foxtel about $2bn in debt, and Seven West Media’s CEO James Warburton doggedly digging his company out of its own debt hole, negotiators would be crazy not to ask what happens if the winning bidder stretches themselves too far and goes to the wall.

Would News Corp (and more to the point minority owner Telstra) be willing to guarantee any Foxtel deal? And would Kerry Stokes’ profitable industrial arm Seven Group Holdings be willing to guarantee any bid from Seven West Media (of which it owns 39.2%)? """
End of Quote

Constraints on existing spending/ Debt piles huge- Whats this do the existing relationships NOW
Whats more the AFL deal is for a start in 2025- Recession upcoming, equals no good deal. Seven can't even show the Cricket- without going to Court or trying to alter athe contract or sell off it's new Cricket TV deal.

Wb1234

Referee
And so the AFL think they can play off a Ten parramount/ and Seven/foxtel to get high $$$. Well if paramount will do a shit job BUT if they think they can strangle more from Foxtel- tell the Dill his dreaming.

Quote from Unheard, regarding the fiances of Seven (debt pile) and Foxtel 2Billion debt. with Murocks/Telstra already having given Personal loans to keep afloat. So I see Fox won't go big on AFL because the money isn't their..

"""
The finances will be perilous whichever broadcaster AFL ends up with. Historically sponsors and advertisers have been persuaded to increase their rates when a rights deal cost increases, but is there a point beyond which they would not go?

Parent company guarantees could play a role in negotiating any long term AFL deal. With Foxtel about $2bn in debt, and Seven West Media’s CEO James Warburton doggedly digging his company out of its own debt hole, negotiators would be crazy not to ask what happens if the winning bidder stretches themselves too far and goes to the wall.

Would News Corp (and more to the point minority owner Telstra) be willing to guarantee any Foxtel deal? And would Kerry Stokes’ profitable industrial arm Seven Group Holdings be willing to guarantee any bid from Seven West Media (of which it owns 39.2%)? """
End of Quote

Constraints on existing spending/ Debt piles huge- Whats this do the existing relationships NOW
Whats more the AFL deal is for a start in 2025- Recession upcoming, equals no good deal. Seven can't even show the Cricket- without going to Court or trying to alter athe contract or sell off it's new Cricket TV deal.
Wince covid foxtel has really turned around it’s financesz. First they got rid of a league and rugby, which saved around 60 to 80 million pa.

and the ratings for kayo have gone through the roof. Before streaming, nrl games were averaging around 300k viewers

now with the boom in kayo it seems the average is well over 430k so there’s a net gain of over 130k viewers just from the nrl

one day someone is going to see the nrl pay tv numbers and make a serious pitch for them. That will result in foxtel having to let the afl go to be able to afford the nrl.

the afl tv ratings on foxtel are terrible. If anything foxtel should be cutting now much it pays afl

Latest posts