What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

I had to buy a new telly and convince the wife she didn’t need the uk channels lol but I think you may have missed my point, more and more people are switching from expensive foxtel packages to cheap kayo packages, even laggards like me!
Your wife can get UKTV and BBC First for just $6 a month on Fetch TV's Variety Pack.

There's also Britbox and Accorn available in the Apps section on Fetch TV.

You can buy a refurbished Fetch Mighty

Foxtel subscriptions are declining.

google their latest financials

ebit is up, free cash flow is up, subscribers are up
Kayo Subscribers
x $25
$25,750,000 per month
$309,000,000 per annum

After May 9 it will be $27.50 per month. That's $28,350,000 a month and $339,900,000 a year.

Not enough to recoup what they spend for NRL and AwFuL. Add that onto what they're paying for cricket, netball, F1 and Supercars and it's well short.

"Foxtel Residential Broadcast subscribers declined to 1.56 million."

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hang on their if Foxtel is paying the AFL $350m and Seven network $150 that's a cool half billion, something to crow about if it were true. Industry sources says same BS and lame stream media repeat fabricated deal numbers - from the master fabricator himself (Dill) must be because the AFL can see their number 1 position falling to the NRL which have overtaken them, or very soon will when our over $400 million yearly dollar deals start- well next year, 2023, of course.
err their deal goes up to $473mill next year, how are we overtaking them?
AFL are reportedly looking for $500mill a year from 2025. If they get it it will leave some serious egg on the face of Vlandys who negotiated a $403mill a year deal for 5 years!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your wife can get UKTV and BBC First for just $6 a month on Fetch TV's Variety Pack.

There's also Britbox and Accorn available in the Apps section on Fetch TV.

You can buy a refurbished Fetch Mighty
I got a VPN for $8 for year and BBC iviewer for free so she's happy, and being a tight yorkshireman so am I :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kayo Subscribers
x $25
$25,750,000 per month
$309,000,000 per annum

After May 9 it will be $27.50 per month. That's $28,350,000 a month and $339,900,000 a year.

Not enough to recoup what they spend for NRL and AwFuL. Add that onto what they're paying for cricket, netball, F1 and Supercars and it's well short.

There's probably still a million foxsports subscribers on STV, if they migrate over as well that doubles that figure and probably covers the deals ok. Fox will pay around $500mill a year for NRL and AFL next year.

The_Wookie

Bench
Kayo Subscribers
x $25
$25,750,000 per month
$309,000,000 per annum

Foxtels ARPU last quarter increased 3% year-over-year to A$82 (US$60).

also

Perth Red

Post Whore
Foxtels ARPU last quarter increased 3% year-over-year to A$82 (US$60).

also

Interesting to see the drop off in Kayo as the main sports seasons coverage ends in Sept. Maybe they might like to consider screening something RL fans want to watch in Oct-Nov, like a RLWC for instance!

Wb1234

Referee
err their deal goes up to $473mill next year, how are we overtaking them?
AFL are reportedly looking for $500mill a year from 2025. If they get it it will leave some serious egg on the face of Vlandys who negotiated a $403mill a year deal for 5 years!
Because we currently earn more than they do. Even if you take out gills stupid backended deal and average it out the nrl is earning more too.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
There's probably still a million foxsports subscribers on STV, if they migrate over as well that doubles that figure and probably covers the deals ok. Fox will pay around $500mill a year for NRL and AFL next year.
Even by putting it up by that $ 2.50 seems they are planning ahead for being able have a lot more Kayo subscribers and generating enough revenue from that to afford broadcast rights.
This is before we even get into having different packages for Kayo. for example ` premium Advertisement free ` that will cost more, a basic $27.50 package may have to come with ads.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even by putting it up by that $ 2.50 seems they are planning ahead for being able have a lot more Kayo subscribers and generating enough revenue from that to afford broadcast rights.
This is before we even get into having different packages for Kayo. for example ` premium Advertisement free ` that will cost more, a basic $27.50 package may have to come with ads.
Yeh I can see that being the way it will go in the years to come. I much prefer the streaming service, I dont have to remember to record things!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because we currently earn more than they do. Even if you take out gills stupid backended deal and average it out the nrl is earning more too.
How do you know this? We don't show our TV $'s in revenue anymore so there is no way of actually knowing what we earn from TV anymore. What we do know according to media reports is next year onwards we will earn an avg of around $402mill a year whilst for the next two years AFL will earn $473mill. So how you can say we are overtaking them I dont know. We managed to close the gap in the 2013- deal and then again in the 2017- tv deal but it looks like this deal period the gap will open up wider than ever again.

All we do know (as they dont hide it) is that in 21 AFL earnt $366.6mill cash and $16mill contra for TV and digital
NRl earnt $405.1mil cash for 'licensing' but that includes significant revenue from betting, merch and digital and $24.5mill contra

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
How do you know this? We don't show our TV $'s in revenue anymore so there is no way of actually knowing what we earn from TV anymore. What we do know according to media reports is next year onwards we will earn an avg of around $402mill a year whilst for the next two years AFL will earn $473mill. So how you can say we are overtaking them I dont know. We managed to close the game in the 2013- deal and then again in the 2017- tv deal but it looks like this deal period the gap will open up wider than ever again.
I know because of baselinepanther

he’s the first guy who worked out gill was doing a backended tv deal

the real question is why was gill doing that ?

to hide a poor tv deal perhaps ?

The_Wookie

Bench

The only place this is being said is here on this forum. This doesnt match with any comments from any media or the AFL. Literally assumptions by people here on this forum.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know because of baselinepanther

he’s the first guy who worked out gill was doing a backended tv deal

the real question is why was gill doing that ?

to hide a poor tv deal perhaps ?
Baseline was also the first person to alert us to the fact vlandys was pulling a fast one and had accepted $100mill LESS from Fox lol.

AFL are recovering the losses from the covid years, nice deal if you can get it, which we couldn't!

I just had a look at the revenue statements for last year and added them to my post, you judge if you honestly think we are getting more money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the NRL licensing revenue for '21

$405mill + $24.5mill contra

This $405 mill is made up of tv, betting, merch and digital. Whilst we dont know what the drop off in those areas was due to covid this '20 news article has:
Merch sales worth $12mill
Betting licensing worth $84mill
Digital worth $24mill

For us to have got more cash than AFL last year from our tv and digital revenue (presuming digital revenue is roughly same across the codes) the betting and merch would have had to have dropped from $96mill to $38mill (a 60% reduction). Possible but very unlikely given online betting went up during covid.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The only place this is being said is here on this forum. This doesnt match with any comments from any media or the AFL. Literally assumptions by people here on this forum.
People are free to believe what they want

he has provided the most compelling explanation yet. It’s backed up by the afl financials being so poor compared to the nrl. Clearly the nrl is bringing in more revenue that the afl isn’t.

As I’ve said elsewhere since covid the nrl has increased funding to clubs by 35 million pa at the same time the afl cut the money to clubs.

even with this extra spending the nrl has close to 80 million dollars more in surplus

Perth Red

Post Whore
People are free to believe what they want

he has provided the most compelling explanation yet. It’s backed up by the afl financials being so poor compared to the nrl. Clearly the nrl is bringing in more revenue that the afl isn’t.

As I’ve said elsewhere since covid the nrl has increased funding to clubs by 35 million pa at the same time the afl cut the money to clubs.

even with this extra spending the nrl has close to 80 million dollars more in surplus
Or they have greater costs lol.
Saying something is so because you are free to believe what you want is just batsht craziness lol. You sound like those loony Trump supporters or the covid isnt real brigade! Look at the evidence that we have then make an informed, non biased, judgement. Show us some evidence of why you believe it, beyond Baseline told me so :)

Wb1234

Referee
Or they have greater costs lol.
Saying something is so because you are free to believe what you want is just batsht craziness lol. You sound like those loony Trump supporters or the covid isnt real brigade! Look at the evidence that we have then make an informed, non biased, judgement. Show us some evidence of why you believe it, beyond Baseline told me so :)
They were announcing surpluses before covid. Then they cut spending and now are announcing losses.

do the math.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They were announcing surpluses before covid. Then they cut spending and now are announcing losses.

do the math.
Its all relative though. for example last year NRL gave its clubs $278.2mill + $7mill player welfare, AFL funded its clubs $301mill + $60mill player welfare. They've drawn on their cash reserves to not have to slash and burn to the point the comp collapses or to have to borrow money, they spend a lot more money than we do in a normal year because their revenue is significantly higher. The money they have lost in 20 and 21 they will recoup in 23 &24 from their media deal according to reports.

They have lost $65.7mill in 20&21. But are set to gain $110mill in 23/24 from increased tv revenue, allegedly.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Its all relative though. for example last year NRL gave its clubs $278.2mill + $7mill player welfare, AFL funded its clubs $301mill + $60mill player welfare. They've drawn on their cash reserves to not have to slash and burn to the point the comp collapses or to have to borrow money, they spend a lot more money than we do in a normal year because their revenue is significantly higher. The money they have lost in 20 and 21 they will recoup in 23 &24 from their media deal according to reports.

They have lost $65.7mill in 20&21. But are set to gain $110mill in 23/24 from increased tv revenue, allegedly.
Why did you change the point ? Why are they losing money now ? Cause they did that stupid backended tv deal to fool people like you

so you admit the afl tv money is going up next year. So you agree it is a backended deal

thanks

Latest posts