What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
Add in the tens of millions in clubs debts guaranteed by the afl.

Im actually wrong in the first comment - its the entire debt bearing liability at 90m. Everything else is a lease liability, not loans or debt bearing.

The clubs account for 45m in contingent liabilities,.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
You posted yourself on your twitter that without the jobseeker afl clubs on the whole lost money last year. Yes I do read your posts quite a bit

They would have. But they didnt...because um...jobseeker? like every other corporation including the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah but if they migrate from Foxtel Sports HD to Kayo then they'll go from paying $74 to $25.

I'd love to know just how much people are actually paying to view Foxtel Sports HD and Kayo. Foxtel will negotiate with frustrated customers and give them a reduced fee if they threaten to unsubscribe. Then there's the people who are on a discounted Kayo deal. Don't forget the people who only subscribe during the football season. I suspect Foxtel are making much less money than they want us to know.
It will certainly be driving their revenue modelling thinking for sure. I think the big loss for them is in the bundled packages on STV compared to people just picking up KAYO then getting Netfix, Disney etc. The price of Kayo at $27.50 and the Foxsports subscription at $74 is quite a difference though even of KAYO has driven an extra 300k subscribers.

Foxtels ARPU last quarter increased 3% year-over-year to A$82 (US$60).

also

Going by that graph, traditional Foxtel subscribers have plummeted from 2,500,000 to 1,783,000. Kayo and Bing have almost 2,000,000 subscribers, half of which are former Foxtel customers who've cut the cord.

Foxtel have taken a huge revenue hit.

Wb1234

Referee
They would have. But they didnt...because um...jobseeker? like every other corporation including the NRL.
So now jobseeker is gone there’s also the loss of that income to be made up together with the cut on funding from the afl itself

jeeze that’s a lot of money they need to find pretty soon

The_Wookie

Bench
So now jobseeker is gone there’s also the loss of that income to be made up together with the cut on funding from the afl itself

jeeze that’s a lot of money they need to find pretty soon

Jobseeker last year was a fraction of the year before. We saw most of that revenue made last year when the league gained 80m on 2020, the rest should come throught this year. Club funding was pretty much back to normal last year, and will be back in line with the CBA this year.

I think you'll find theres a lot of gains from actually being able to attend matches this year that the AFL and its clubs have missed.

Like I said in the other post, they've shed a lot of content. The savings from no longer paying anything to Disney for their children's content, SANZAAR, FFA, NBL, IndyCar, NHL, NBA, NFL, IPL, WRX, EPL, English RU, French RU and other content suppliers who've launched their own streaming platforms would be significant.

To have an ARPU then most of their legacy customers must still be getting platinum or are including subscribers who have a Foxtel Broadband bundle deal.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Like I said in the other post, they've shed a lot of content. The savings from no longer paying anything to Disney for their children's content, SANZAAR, FFA, NBL, IndyCar, NHL, NBA, NFL, IPL, WRX, EPL, English RU, French RU and other content suppliers who've launched their own streaming platforms would be significant.

To have an ARPU then most of their legacy customers must still be getting platinum or are including subscribers who have a Foxtel Broadband bundle deal.
The link says they’ve increased spending on content in the 4th quarter

I mean aren’t they paying nrl and afl an extra 150 million pa

The link says they’ve increased spending on content in the 4th quarter

I mean aren’t they paying nrl and afl an extra 150 million pa
They've lost A-League, which they were paying $25 million pa in 2020 after negotiating a reduction due to COVID-19.

Before that they were paying $57 million per annum.

Rugby Australia received $57 million per annum from Foxtel.

So that's a saving of $114 million per annum by shedding sooker and onionball.

Wb1234

Referee
They've lost A-League, which they were paying $25 million pa in 2020 after negotiating a reduction due to COVID-19.

Before that they were paying $57 million per annum.

Rugby Australia received $57 million per annum from Foxtel.

So that's a saving of $114 million per annum by shedding sooker and onionball.
And they renogtiated with nrl and afl to get rid of the covid discounts ?