What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth Red swore black and blue that our Fox deal would be less than $200m, I think he was predicting $190m actually, we got $240m and we haven`t really added the benefit of the 18th team yet, but that can`t be far away.
But yes I agree with you I am concerned sometimes with the closeness of our relationship with Fox media.
But our relationship with Fox is also a two edged sword, the positive being of course the unrivalled media coverage we get in the News Corp newspapers. You can`t beat the eight pages that League gets in the Telegraph every day, and even the Herald (owned by Nine) has far more coverage of League than other sports, and afl get bugger all.
If the afl are stupid enough to abandon Fox, their coverage in the News Corp papers will evaporate, you must have seen what happened to union in the News Corp papers. And if you`re not in the papers, your invisible.
Channel Nine and Seven are the two biggest rating FTA channels in Oz, you`d want to risk putting a game which still rates strongly but is declining on FTA on 10, strikes me as a bloody great risk. Not to mention putting the rest of the games behind a streaming paywall on an underperforming platform. Sounds like high risk to me.
Hah when did I ever say that? The fox deal is same as 2017- And I’ve never claimed any different.
if afl get $500mill, and it’s a big if. Vlandys is going to be left with an awful lot of explaining to do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cu
We’re at 400 million pa. Afl is trying to get 500 million pa

With an 18th team to sell to broadcasters we should be getting way more than 500 million pa especially if it’s nz2

I actually think with a 9th game to sell we should be looking at 150 million extra pa
Currently each game is worth $50mill. What makes you think another one will be worth three times that?

Go to Channel 10 and die.
Could work for League though, Seven will be desperate to get some tier 1 sport to replace it, maybe finally a rival bidder to C9.
Fumbleball fans will still watch AwFuL on Ch10. If Paramount+ get the subscription TV rights then ratings for AwFuL might drop over the first year, but they will probably bounce back.

colly

Juniors
Finally some sense of reality. What the Dill has allowed the media to put out regarding the final two years of their current contract is down right fabricated figure of $946 over two years OR $473 over one year, however this story reveals what they really get which is $672 over two years OR $336 million per year.

"It’s not clear how much the rights would fetch, but AFL’s current broadcast agreement with pay-TV operator Foxtel and the FTA broadcaster Seven Network is bringing in around $672 million to the league over the next two years."

It was a fantasy that they get $946 over two years OR $473 per year. It must point to some deeper psychological butt hurt for the AFL to have go full Baghdad Bob just to try to beat the NRL. The AFL use Industry Sources, insiders, and experts to spew constant repetition of falsehoods which now have gained google search results recognition for their previous lies. ie $946 million deal for 2 years.

Wb1234

Referee
Finally some sense of reality. What the Dill has allowed the media to put out regarding the final two years of their current contract is down right fabricated figure of $946 over two years OR $473 over one year, however this story reveals what they really get which is $672 over two years OR $336 million per year.

"It’s not clear how much the rights would fetch, but AFL’s current broadcast agreement with pay-TV operator Foxtel and the FTA broadcaster Seven Network is bringing in around $672 million to the league over the next two years."

It was a fantasy that they get $946 over two years OR $473 per year. It must point to some deeper psychological butt hurt for the AFL to have go full Baghdad Bob just to try to beat the NRL. The AFL use Industry Sources, insiders, and experts to spew constant repetition of falsehoods which now have gained google search results recognition for their previous lies. ie $946 million deal for 2 years.
Baselinepanther called it

this is why gill was pushed out

Hahahaha

Wb1234

Referee
Cu

Currently each game is worth $50mill. What makes you think another one will be worth three times that?
9th game 50 mill
Sky nz 20 mill
Increase in value of current deal due to inflation and economic growth 50 million
Monday night football ? 30 million

I rounded it down tbh

Menaiduck

Juniors
Baselinepanther called it

this is why gill was pushed out

Hahahaha
I don’t know what the truth is about the amount the afl has received but I do know i don’t trust anything they say about anything. They spin stories about participation, tv rights and pretty much anything else. They then rely on lazy journalists to spew it all out as a gospel truth.

Menaiduck

Juniors
I don’t know what the truth is about the amount the afl has received but I do know i don’t trust anything they say about anything. They spin stories about participation, tv rights and pretty much anything else. They then rely on lazy journalists to spew it all out as a gospel truth.
But I do know they hide ugly stories such as reports of systemic abuse of female umpires. Caught red handed on that one!

Menaiduck

Juniors
But I do know they hide ugly stories such as reports of systemic abuse of female umpires. Caught red handed on that one!

The_Wookie

Bench

Sure, ill take Front office sports - completely unsourced - over every other media outlet and the AFL CEO himself. ffs.

edit: its US Dollars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So they signed an extension deal worth less than the covid reduced amount of 2020? Hmmm.
Who did their negotiations, Peter Vlandys? lol

do you feel stupid that you didnt realise that was US$ which equals $946mill Aus?

Last edited:

Menaiduck

Juniors
Sure, ill take Front office sports - completely unsourced - over every other media outlet and the AFL CEO himself. ffs.
It’s the afl ceo I don’t trust. Admitted that the afl made payments to female employees who complained of abuse as shut up money some years ago and hid the report that made claims about abuse of female umpires just recently.

Lol lol lol
There's nothing in there to say there is an offer from 10
Lol the AFL is LOOKING for that amount .
Then some vague reference ..lol no comment from any Ch10 or Paramount official .
The kings of bullshit do it again .

The AFL is reportedly looking for '$2.5billion over five years', and Channel 10 is willing to do 'whatever it takes' to secure the rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
9th game 50 mill
Sky nz 20 mill
Increase in value of current deal due to inflation and economic growth 50 million
Monday night football ? 30 million

I rounded it down tbh
So you think our Australian TV partners, who didn't pay a cent extra for club 17 and the extra 12 games that has brought are going to splash out $130mill a year extra due to an extra game and inflation? I love your optimism.

edit: its US Dollars.

Lol of course you'd take Gills word .
Even though he is a proven liar .

Lol 20-30 k registered afl players in NZ..that was hilarious .
Then the China game
Half a 11 k crowd were in catering tents .

Not just once but also the following year.

Yeh he's a bastion of truth .

The_Wookie

Bench

Then the China game

yawn.

Talking tv rights here champ - and his track record with this is pretty good.

But why be reasonable here, I mean ol colly here literally jumped on a report that doesnt even agree with what hes saying.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Stupidity just had to be called out lol

Then the China game

They weren’t in catering tents silly. They missed the bus. An afl legend said so!
I actually believe they got a massive wake up call in China. Along the lines of ‘AFL? WGAF?,