What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
It’s terrible news. They have beaten us again.
Mate you got to start thinking about the next 20/30 years. League is a proven stronger rating product than afl, we`re not short of money, this stuff will play itself out over the next 20/30 years. There is plenty of time for us to get the deals we deserve.
Enough of this hand wringing about the next five years or so.

Colk

First Grade
Beaten us at what? It’s a future deal in negotiation phase. Whatever they get we’ll be in a position to negotiate similar next time around.

They will get more than what we have obtained. That’s a win in my book. They will have also increased the gap between the two deals. Another win for them

Menaiduck

Juniors
Mate you got to start thinking about the next 20/30 years. League is a proven stronger rating product than afl, we`re not short of money, this stuff will play itself out over the next 20/30 years. There is plenty of time for us to get the deals we deserve.
Yep this is the long game. A lot will change over the next two decades. These are dying platforms.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
They will get more than what we have obtained. That’s a win in my book. They will have also increased the gap between the two deals. Another win for them
Get a grip mate, you sound like a child, League`s not going anywhere, there`s plenty of time for us to catch up.

Menaiduck

Juniors
And they’ll piss it up against the wall again. I’m happy with our current position and see plenty of opportunities for our game in the next decade. There is a long way to go.

Colk

First Grade

You have to look at the trend though mate. If we are a stronger rating product, then technically we should be closing the gap or earning more; however they are increasing the gap.

What does this suggest? It suggests that News Limited has too much influence on our game. It also suggests they are better negotiators and that they are not beholden to any conflicts of interest.

Whether we are a stronger rating product is irrelevant until we rid ourselves of these problems.

Colk

First Grade
Get a grip mate, you sound like a child, League`s not going anywhere, there`s plenty of time for us to catch up.

Weren’t people on here saying that AFL were going to suffer in this deal though? That we were going to close the gap because we had more viewers? Doesn’t that strike you odd that they are going to earn 20% more on their TV deal despite having less viewers?

That either suggests that they are brilliant negotiators or we are terrible negotiators

Anyway, I’m not suggesting either will die but I don’t think we will catch up now.

colly

Juniors
Thanks for that, thou a story in the Daily mail on the 30th said the same, ( three days ago) how much is BS, or just trying to up the price on Seven/Foxtel. Also the AFL said they would do the production/broadcast, no matter what you think TV always does better than non professionals. Bad mouthing Seven won't go down well- If they Seven, will properly low ball them now , like under 100m per year, especially being under huge debt pile. Fox won't be happy because the release by the AFL ( which have released this good news piece, won't like the BS figure put out ie $946 over 2 years, guaantee Fox offer will be just over 200m take it or lump it. They might have well played themselves, the DILL of course. Nice junket tour.
Notice the 30/April date.
You want top price if your going to produce it. Costs for year could run into 50/60m dollars.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Thanks for that, thou a story in the Daily mail on the 30th said the same, ( three days ago) how much is BS, or just trying to up the price on Seven/Foxtel. Also the AFL said they would do the production/broadcast, no matter what you think TV always does better than non professionals. Bad mouthing Seven won't go down well- If they Seven, will properly low ball them now , like under 100m per year, especially being under huge debt pile. Fox won't be happy because the release by the AFL ( which have released this good news piece, won't like the BS figure put out ie $946 over 2 years, guaantee Fox offer will be just over 200m take it or lump it. They might have well played themselves, the DILL of course. Nice junket tour.
Notice the 30/April date.
You want top price if your going to produce it. Costs for year could run into 50/60m dollars.

Huh? I get that we want to believe this but if Paramount are willing to offer up to $500 p.a then they win.

Wb1234

Referee
They're paying us no more now than they did before COVID-19.Thanks for telling us for the 100th time. Bitter much?
Go to Channel 10 and die.
Could work for League though, Seven will be desperate to get some tier 1 sport to replace it, maybe finally a rival bidder to

so it looks like they are s
i think the inner fumbler is coming out lol

the mask was kinda slipping off before anyway

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You have to look at the trend though mate. If we are a stronger rating product, then technically we should be closing the gap or earning more; however they are increasing the gap.

What does this suggest? It suggests that News Limited has too much influence on our game. It also suggests they are better negotiators and that they are not beholden to any conflicts of interest.

Whether we are a stronger rating product is irrelevant until we rid ourselves of these problems.
Weren’t people on here saying that AFL were going to suffer in this deal though? That we were going to close the gap because we had more viewers? Doesn’t that strike you odd that they are going to earn 20% more on their TV deal despite having less viewers?

That either suggests that they are brilliant negotiators or we are terrible negotiators

Anyway, I’m not suggesting either will die but I don’t think we will catch up now.
Perth Red swore black and blue that our Fox deal would be less than $200m, I think he was predicting $190m actually, we got $240m and we haven`t really added the benefit of the 18th team yet, but that can`t be far away.
But yes I agree with you I am concerned sometimes with the closeness of our relationship with Fox media.
But our relationship with Fox is also a two edged sword, the positive being of course the unrivalled media coverage we get in the News Corp newspapers. You can`t beat the eight pages that League gets in the Telegraph every day, and even the Herald (owned by Nine) has far more coverage of League than other sports, and afl get bugger all.
If the afl are stupid enough to abandon Fox, their coverage in the News Corp papers will evaporate, you must have seen what happened to union in the News Corp papers. And if you`re not in the papers, your invisible.
Channel Nine and Seven are the two biggest rating FTA channels in Oz, you`d want to risk putting a game which still rates strongly but is declining on FTA on 10, strikes me as a bloody great risk. Not to mention putting the rest of the games behind a streaming paywall on an underperforming platform. Sounds like high risk to me.

Wb1234

Referee
We’re at 400 million pa. Afl is trying to get 500 million pa

With an 18th team to sell to broadcasters we should be getting way more than 500 million pa especially if it’s nz2

I actually think with a 9th game to sell we should be looking at 150 million extra pa

Colk

First Grade
We’re at 400 million pa. Afl is trying to get 500 million pa

With an 18th team to sell to broadcasters we should be getting way more than 500 million pa especially if it’s nz2

I actually think with a 9th game to sell we should be looking at 150 million extra pa

That’s a big call. $150m for one extra team?

colly

Juniors
Huh? I get that we want to believe this but if Paramount are willing to offer up to $500 p.a then they win.
Who said $500m -it's a joke figure you know? The backgrounder/or industry source magic pudding figure, a muti billion dollar deal won't go down like what thier saying- it's a a shit/grin show. The deal is for a contract staring in 2025- plenty of time for the buyer, nothing to see here, move along.

Colk

First Grade
so it looks like they are s

i think the inner fumbler is coming out lol

the mask was kinda slipping off before anyway

Pfft you think I should say that $400m p.a is better than $500m p.a? Just because I love the game doesn’t mean I’m deluded to believe it’s getting a better deal than AwFuL.

One positive I can think of is that it might make people finally realise that we need Perth, NZ 2 and Adelaide/NZ 3/Brisbane 3 in order to catch up.

Colk

First Grade
Who said $500m -it's a joke figure you know? The backgrounder/or industry source magic pudding figure, a muti billion dollar deal won't go down like what thier saying- it's a a shit/grin show. The deal is for a contract staring in 2025- plenty of time for the buyer, nothing to see here, move along.

I hope you’re right. Where are you suggesting that it will land then? When we saw the NRL deal finalised it didn’t move much from what was predicted

Wb1234

Referee
Pfft you think I should say that $400m p.a is better than $500m p.a? Just because I love the game doesn’t mean I’m deluded to believe it’s getting a better deal than AwFuL.

One positive I can think of is that it might make people finally realise that we need Perth, NZ 2 and Adelaide/NZ 3/Brisbane 3 in order to catch up.
Catch up with what ? Nrl already outrates afl

please don’t tell me you are that stupid that you are comparing afl trying to renegotiate their current deal and not allow the nrl to also do the same

with a 9th game to sell the nrl should easily eclipse the afl leaving your favourite sport of nrl out in front