What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Lol all this conjecture in different media says
According to the AGE .
Lol the AFL media mouthpiece in Vic is spruiking this crap with not one quote from any Ch 10 or Paramount official.
Lol

Menaiduck

Juniors
Lol all this conjecture in different media says
According to the AGE .
Lol the AFL media mouthpiece in Vic is spruiking this crap with not one quote from any Ch 10 or Paramount official.
Lol
Sources close to Gil the dill assure us he’s telling the truth on this occasion!

yawn.

Talking tv rights here champ - and his track record with this is pretty good.

But why be reasonable here, I mean ol colly here literally jumped on a report that doesnt even agree with what hes saying.
Yeh & you said you believe him .
I just highlighted why anyone not in the AFL bubble wouldn't .
He's got a track record of bullshitting to the media
But you go ahead & believe him .

Yawn

The_Wookie

Bench
Yeh & you said you believe him .
I just highlighted why anyone not in the AFL bubble wouldn't .
He's got a track record of bullshitting to the media
But you go ahead & believe him .

Yawn

I said that i would take his word over an unsourced report on a friggin sports news aggregation site - and the amount was the same as mclachlan has been saying anyway.

Wb1234

Referee
I don’t know what the truth is about the amount the afl has received but I do know i don’t trust anything they say about anything. They spin stories about participation, tv rights and pretty much anything else. They then rely on lazy journalists to spew it all out as a gospel truth.
Yeh then have their fanboys on
So you think our Australian TV partners, who didn't pay a cent extra for club 17 and the extra 12 games that has brought are going to splash out $130mill a year extra due to an extra game and inflation? I love your optimism.
Just take the optimism you have for afl and switch it over to rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
As an afl apologist
As a RL fan that admires how AFL go about their revenue generation business and is some what jealous of it. Imagine what NRL could have done with the $2bill extra funding AFL has generated in the last decade. The mind boggles where the game could be if our annual revenue was $800mill not $550mill.

Wb1234

Referee
As a RL fan that admires how AFL go about their revenue generation business and is some what jealous of it. Imagine what NRL could have done with the $2bill extra funding AFL has generated in the last decade. The mind boggles where the game could be if our annual revenue was $800mill not $550mill.
Yeh what’s the afl done with that money ? It’s gone backwards in nsw and qld.
Eg lions and swans tv ratings

lions finances
Gold Coast finances
Gws finances
Gcs can’t keep players and are a basket case

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh what’s the afl done with that money ? It’s gone backwards in nsw and qld.
Eg lions and swans tv ratings

lions finances
Gold Coast finances
Gws finances
Gcs can’t keep players and are a basket case
I dont care, it doesnt interest me what they do with it. I'm interested in what the NRL COULD do with it if they had it and why we don't have it! If AFL can make $800mill a year why cant we?

Iamback

Coach
Weren’t people on here saying that AFL were going to suffer in this deal though? That we were going to close the gap because we had more viewers? Doesn’t that strike you odd that they are going to earn 20% more on their TV deal despite having less viewers?

That either suggests that they are brilliant negotiators or we are terrible negotiators

Anyway, I’m not suggesting either will die but I don’t think we will catch up now.

Try and find a pub or Club to watch Super Rugby or A League..

You need to be on screens to prosper. ATM Fox Sports is the only Streaming Service that has that reach. Huge risk to move away from that

Iamback

Coach
Huh? I get that we want to believe this but if Paramount are willing to offer up to $500 p.a then they win.

Not if Production costs aren't covered. You can take $50-60m off that then it isn't much of an increase and runs the risk of losing viewers

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not if Production costs aren't covered. You can take $50-60m off that then it isn't much of an increase and runs the risk of losing viewers
That is an interesting point, bringing production in house. On the plus side it allows you to control quality and also gives more flexibility for future sales to break the games up and sell different packages and to own the content and do differnet things with that. But it isn't a cheap exercise. Am I right in thinking only Supercars in this country has gone to self production so far?

Iamback

Coach
That is an interesting point, bringing production in house. On the plus side it allows you to control quality and also gives more flexibility for future sales to break the games up and sell different packages and to own the content and do differnet things with that. But it isn't a cheap exercise. Am I right in thinking only Supercars in this country has gone to self production so far?

They are. They have 13 events a year that keeps the costs down because you can use the same crew. You can't do that with other sports.

Colk

First Grade
Catch up with what ? Nrl already outrates afl

please don’t tell me you are that stupid that you are comparing afl trying to renegotiate their current deal and not allow the nrl to also do the same

with a 9th game to sell the nrl should easily eclipse the afl leaving your favourite sport of nrl out in front

Taking it out of the context of TV negotiations though, I don’t really see how performing better but earning less is a positive. Let’s say you were a worker and you did more work than a colleague but you were earning less, would you think of that as a positive?

Colk

First Grade

Even taking into account the production costs, if this deal is to be believed, then they are making $50 million. That’s still a handy gap. They could also be using this deal as a precursor to creating their own content. Which is potentially a smart move

The big negative I can see is your second point. That’s the most important thing.