What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
Maude Flanders ...
How have they beaten us ?
Seriously get a grip .
This is the usual spin by the AFL .
No quotes from any media exec..just bullshit from AFL house .

I know the AFL lie a lot. For example, I’m sure they lie about participation and Ozkick numbers, mainly because they are easy to fudge and in a lot of cases they are difficult to trace.

TV dollars/deals are pretty much the opposite. Prior to the NRL deal being finalised, much of the reporting on numbers were fairly close to the final mark. I would suggest that their deal is going to be close to $500m p.a because if it ends up being closer to $400 p.a then they would be absolutely pounded and they couldn’t hide from it

Iamback

Coach
Even taking into account the production costs, if this deal is to be believed, then they are making $50 million. That’s still a handy gap. They could also be using this deal as a precursor to creating their own content. Which is potentially a smart move

The big negative I can see is your second point. That’s the most important thing.

Assuming they get the $500m. Not sure it adds up because Paramount plus would need to raise prices to cover it. I am not sure enough people would pay $20 a month for a single sport

Less subscribers = less people watching which brings the price down next time. So it is good to talk to these companies but I don't see any putting in such an investment

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know the AFL lie a lot. For example, I’m sure they lie about participation and Ozkick numbers, mainly because they are easy to fudge and in a lot of cases they are difficult to trace.

TV dollars/deals are pretty much the opposite. Prior to the NRL deal being finalised, much of the reporting on numbers were fairly close to the final mark. I would suggest that their deal is going to be close to $500m p.a because if it ends up being closer to $400 p.a then they would be absolutely pounded and they couldn’t hide from it
For Ch10/paramount to get it they will need to pay overs as it is a risk for AFL rather than the tried and tested 7/Fox combo. All depends on how serious CBS is and how much they think AFL can drive their product in Australia over the coming years. Or it could drive up the 7/Fox deal as they get into a bidding war. 7/Fox will have a good idea of how serious CBS is and act accordingly I'd suggest.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Assuming they get the $500m. Not sure it adds up because Paramount plus would need to raise prices to cover it. I am not sure enough people would pay $20 a month for a single sport

Less subscribers = less people watching which brings the price down next time. So it is good to talk to these companies but I don't see any putting in such an investment
yeh its hard to see how the numbers stack up for any streaming service. Maybe CBS think Paramount could be the next Kayo and will try and snaffle a few sports in the next decade? Its hard for streaming services to retain customers as more and more become available and its expensive generating enough new content to do so. Sport is one area that literally generates new content every week so is probably the best way of customer retention for a significant share of the market. Problem is price point, I can see more and more advertising coming into streaming of sport. We've already got advertising increasingly dominating PTV coverage, just not in stoppage of game 'yet'. Paying a premium you don't accept ad breaks but at cheap price point of streaming I think most would. Id rather have a few ads and keep paying $15 for Kayo than no ads and pay $27.50!

Maybe going to qtrs and having an add break at qtr time is one solution for NRL??

Iamback

Coach
yeh its hard to see how the numbers stack up for any streaming service. Maybe CBS think Paramount could be the next Kayo and will try and snaffle a few sports in the next decade? Its hard for streaming services to retain customers as more and more become available and its expensive generating enough new content to do so. Sport is one area that literally generates new content every week so is probably the best way of customer retention for a significant share of the market. Problem is price point, I can see more and more advertising coming into streaming of sport. We've already got advertising increasingly dominating PTV coverage, just not in stoppage of game 'yet'. Paying a premium you don't accept ad breaks but at cheap price point of streaming I think most would. Id rather have a few ads and keep paying $15 for Kayo than no ads and pay $27.50!

Maybe going to qtrs and having an add break at qtr time is one solution for NRL??

Kayo price rise probably is the way to combat losing viewers in Summer months

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not games that I can see.

Turner Sports and Warner Brothers run NBA TV
NFL.network does documentaries etc but not games. The TV Networks produce those
Cheers, interesting no one has yet forged a path that way. Must be good reasons why. I guess trying to run a Tv production company is a big diversion from running the actual sport.

Wb1234

Referee
Taking it out of the context of TV negotiations though, I don’t really see how performing better but earning less is a positive. Let’s say you were a worker and you did more work than a colleague but you were earning less, would you think of that as a positive?
The nrl currently earns more than afl in terms of tv deals

once the afl redoes their deal the nrl has a chance to beat it again with the 9th team.

if the afl think adding Tasmania is going to add much to future tv deals I wish them all the best

afl is maxed out in terms of growing tv viewers unlike the nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore
The nrl currently earns more than afl in terms of tv deals
Where do you get you're figures from? The last TV (2017) deal AFL got $416mill to our $380 mill. In 23&24 that will change to NRL $402mill AFL $473mill. Where are we getting more money?

Wb1234

Referee
Where do you get you're figures from? The last TV (2017) deal AFL got $416mill to our $380 mill. In 23&24 that will change to NRL $402mill AFL $473mill. Where are we getting more money?
Baselinepanther. I’m sure you remember him

I’m literally talking about this year which in case you don’t know is 2022

colly

Juniors
Sure, ill take Front office sports - completely unsourced - over every other media outlet and the AFL CEO himself. ffs.

edit: its US Dollars.

This is all talk about the 2025 deal. So current the AFL are on something like $366m, Next year when the NRL ( $400 million plus) and the AFL short term agreement over two years supposily for $946 OR $473 yearly. When I provided numerous times and links reporting from such sites as The Age, Financial Review that the deal (2023-2024) for foxtel is a little better than the 2017-2022 deal, which was $215m from fox. So lets give them a $15 m increase to $230m and now include Seven who have reported their payments at $150, so that leaves $93 million dollars unaccounted for.

colly

Juniors
This is all talk about the 2025 deal. So current the AFL are on something like $366m, Next year when the NRL ( $400 million plus) and the AFL short term agreement over two years supposily for $946 OR $473 yearly. When I provided numerous times and links reporting from such sites as The Age, Financial Review that the deal (2023-2024) for foxtel is a little better than the 2017-2022 deal, which was $215m from fox. So lets give them a $15 m increase to $230m and now include Seven who have reported their payments at $150, so that leaves $93 million dollars unaccounted for.
Link from previous post explaing whats wrong with the $946 or $473 yearly AFL figure.

Quote from the age: the AFL deal with Foxtel, the Dill and Foxtel spokesman, explains"

"This extension with Foxtel and Telstra, along with the extension we signed with the Seven Network earlier this year, ensures that we are able to not only rebuild our game but take it to more and more people," McLachlan said.

The deal represents a 25 per cent increase on the revised rights agreement the AFL struck with Foxtel because of the pandemic, but is only slightly higher than the original deal.

"The extension of the rights deal resets the discounts associated with COVID and is financially little changed from the original 2017-22 agreement," a Foxtel spokesman said.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Link from previous post explaing whats wrong with the $946 or $473 yearly AFL figure.

Quote from the age: the AFL deal with Foxtel, the Dill and Foxtel spokesman, explains"

"This extension with Foxtel and Telstra, along with the extension we signed with the Seven Network earlier this year, ensures that we are able to not only rebuild our game but take it to more and more people," McLachlan said.

The deal represents a 25 per cent increase on the revised rights agreement the AFL struck with Foxtel because of the pandemic, but is only slightly higher than the original deal.

"The extension of the rights deal resets the discounts associated with COVID and is financially little changed from the original 2017-22 agreement," a Foxtel spokesman said.
The seven deal was "an avg" of $146mill a year over 5 years. They probably paid less in 20-21 and will pay more in 23&24.

If that is the generally accepted difference, its a pretty good deal for NRL, $70m p.a. lower / $350m over five years. I thought the gap would have been bigger.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If that is the generally accepted difference, its a pretty good deal for NRL, $70m p.a. lower / $350m over five years. I thought the gap would have been bigger.
Its a significant gap that would pay for a lot of grassroots development and 3 expansion clubs!

After closing a $50mill gap from 2013 to a $36mill gap from 2017 the gap is widening yet again to now more than ever before with a $70mill gap in 23&24 and maybe even more if they get their CBS deal they are after. Why people cant see how poor this NRL deal is turning out to be is beyond me.

The_Wookie

Bench

Thats simply Fox saying theres little difference financially from the $418m pa 2017-22 deal . Telstra's contribution is continuing - they took replay and highlight rights, presumably for the AFL web network as well as a bunch of other initiatives with the league. And Sevens contribution is 780m from 2020...its averaged out with reductions in the first three years, building up in the fourth and fifth years of the deal.

Latest posts