What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
theres no detail at all in the AFL's claim of 473 million pa from 2023 so how can the idiot come to any figure let alone a gap of 115 million

no amount from the AFL on what foxtel are paying
or 7
or telstra

he lamblasted PVL for being secretive about our media rights deal , yet here is Gil the Dill telling us nothing except the total amount , not one bit of a breakdown to see where the increase is coming from but ...

not a word of criticism for Gil from the forums village clown
how surprising
PR's bias is comical , utterly hilarious
The full afl $473mill is Australian media, the Australian content for nrl is $400 minus nz $32 which is $368. ergo the gap of $105mill. My bad for saying $115, in my defence I am a few beers in, it is in fact ONLY $105 mill less we are getting from our Australian media partners lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
We
It's almost like looking at the tv deals head to head on $ basis is worthless 🧐
we’ll yes and no, the more money you earn the more you can spend. We are comparing how much selling our product to media is worth. so not really pointless is it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
theres no detail at all in the AFL's claim of 473 million pa from 2023 so how can the idiot come to any figure let alone a gap of 115 million
that not true either! We know the total amount for both codes. We know the fta component for both codes. We don’t know the telstra or ptv component for either code. I’m glad vlandys came out with a final figure, so he now won’t feel the need to hide it in the annual report I suppose? we shall see,………

Perth Red

Post Whore
And
Using the figures you used a couple of posts back you claimed 70m. and now, in your post your saying 115m?

CH 7 show 3 to 4 games out of Melb each week, 5-6 games out of Perth and 5 games out of Adelaide.

AFL has 30m worth of breaks on fox. Half of that would go into advertising or promoting sponsors.

Downplay it all you like but Advertising is a key factor.
like I said we’ve got Origin which is supposedly worth $30mill a year. Take that out and the amount difference that fta is paying for the domestic competition between the two codes is staggering.

Perth Red

Post Whore
anyway , back to why our deal is bigger then the AFL's like it should be for seasons 2023/24
17 million more veiwers this season
the numb 1 sport in the nations largest & 3rd largest markets & numb 1 in 7 of the top 10 biggest markets . Advertisers know where the fish are
We destroy the victorian game on STV
more to offer then the same old club games year after year , with Origin , PI tests , world cups ... & other games

Yep
PVL has woven his magic again while Gil the Dill is telling fairy tales hahahaha
For once we agree, it’s a shame the fta stations don’t see it the same way! The monetary gap between the codes for the domestic season is ridiculous. We really need a competitor to Ch9 hosting

Diesel

Referee
Ch7 gets to show the Crows and Power into Adelaide, Eagles and Dockers into Perth, Swans and Giants into Sydney and Lions and Suns into Brisbane each weekend, which helps add more eyeballs to their games. That in itself is worth something. Plus Ch7 is owned by a bloke from a fumbleball state.

Ch9 is stuck with airing Syd vs Syd across all markets at least 50% to 66% of the time.
Or 100% of the time on a Sunday arvo

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Anyway back to why the Australian nrl tv deal is so much lower Than afls. I know they have an extra game, though we’ve closed that a bit with dolohins coming in, they have more ads but we have origin and bigger audiences most of time, especially on fox, so why do we struggle so much to close the gap in Australian value? Is it our lack of metro reach nationally? Is it our poor negotiation skills? Is it something else?

according to official announcements the gap between Australian elements of deals from 2023 will be around $115 million a year. That is massive Between the codes.
Would have been interesting to see what Dave Smith could have got for the game. I think its always been undervalued. To busy kissing the arse of Packer or Murdoch.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
We

we’ll yes and no, the more money you earn the more you can spend. We are comparing how much selling our product to media is worth. so not really pointless is it?
It is if you ignore the multitude of variables involved.

Selling the product to the media is not separate from the expense you put into the product.

tri_colours

Juniors
And

like I said we’ve got Origin which is supposedly worth $30mill a year. Take that out and the amount difference that fta is paying for the domestic competition between the two codes is staggering.
What affect does this $87m reduction have on there you beute contract?

NB.The financial terms of the 2023-24 extension have not been released

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

is it a $87mill reduction or a back ended term where the first 3 years is $87mill less in the avg payment than the last 2? That would certainly go a long way to making the $473mill 23&24 total make sense. The total amount announced isn’t $87mill less than their last deal so that would seem more likely?

The full afl $473mill is Australian media, the Australian content for nrl is $400 minus nz $32 which is $368. ergo the gap of $105mill. My bad for saying $115, in my defence I am a few beers in, it is in fact ONLY $105 mill less we are getting from our Australian media partners lol
the 473 mill has no detail

none
not broken down at all
secretive
undisclosed
why aren't you raging against gil the dill like you have been PVL ??

that not true either! We know the total amount for both codes. We know the fta component for both codes. We don’t know the telstra or ptv component for either code. I’m glad vlandys came out with a final figure, so he now won’t feel the need to hide it in the annual report I suppose? we shall see,………
we don't know the fta component for the afl tho do we ,
its undisclosed
gil is hiding it , gee i wonder why 😎
I can assure you , it aint anything to crow about ..........

we DO know the stv component for the afl
its around that 215 mill pa as they have stated thats what they're paying themselves for 2023/24.
Thats for 9 games a week unlike the 240 million pa they're paying the NRL for 8

Last edited:
As I posted a few pages ago & probably many times before that.
NRL bad..terrible deal .
PVL bad

AFL good
Wonderful
GIl is great .
Same anti NRL ...pro AFL crap .
Yet he won't touch BP's question as to why GIl isn't getting the same Vitorol as PVL.

Lol we know the answer .

Perth Red

Post Whore
the 473 mill has no detail

none
not broken down at all
secretive
undisclosed
why aren't you raging against gil the dill like you have been PVL ??
what we do know in terms of $’s.

Afl
AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said the revised five-year deal with Seven for 2020-2024 was for $730 million

AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan said the broadcast deals are worth $946m to the competition over those two years.

nrl
The deal will be for an average of $115 million in cash per year with a further $15 million of contra and other non-cash services to be provided.

The total media rights revenue for game under the new deal is now valued at more than $400m per annum for five years, from 2023 to 2027.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yet he won't touch BP's question as to why GIl isn't getting the same Vitorol as PVL.

Lol we know the answer .
1, because I really dont care too much about what the afl does, beyond measuring ourselves against our main competitor, as I’m a rugby league fan
2. because Vlandys has hidden the media revenue in the annual report so we can’t see what the real cash value of our deals are, where as afl continues to be transparent in their reporting to their stakeholders
3. Because I don’t trust news ltd. not to screw the game at every opportunity and Vlandys appears a news ltd stooge with conflicted interest given how much his day job is in bed with news ltd. Which Why clear vision on what he signing us up to is so important.

its intersting you have all ignored my question about if you feel a $7million a year increase from nine and fox combined seems a good outcome given what extra they got out of this deal. I await your thoughts lol

if fox did add $100mill to their original deal for the dolphins that means the original deal done must have been less than the 2018 deal. to the tune of $84milllion or there abouts.

Last edited:

what we do know in terms of $’s.

Afl
AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said the revised five-year deal with Seven for 2020-2024 was for $730 million

AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan said the broadcast deals are worth $946m to the competition over those two years.

nrl
The deal will be for an average of $115 million in cash per year with a further $15 million of contra and other non-cash services to be provided.

The total media rights revenue for game under the new deal is now valued at more than $400m per annum for five years, from 2023 to 2027.
so
its 730 mill for years 20-24
147 Mill a year .. on average , the same amount they paid for years 17/18 & 19
Just because they're paying around 117 million per year in 20, 21 & 22 & up to 190 million in 23 & 24 does not mean its an increase does it

Its the original deal amount , paid in different amounts in individual years yea ?

There has been no increase in the FTA annual amount for the AFL from 2017 to 2024
its been 147 mill on average PA for those 8 years

exactly the same as the NRL's figure of around 125 million not improving or decreasing much in that same period

tri_colours

Juniors

is it a $87mill reduction or a back ended term where the first 3 years is $87mill less in the avg payment than the last 2? That would certainly go a long way to making the $473mill 23&24 total make sense. The total amount announced isn’t $87mill less than their last deal so that would seem more likely?
Its to do with Covid. Wasnt our reduction only over 2 years?

both C7 and Fox were after further reductions before they would re-signed.

The Fox deal was confidential and never revealed. But lucky your here PR to tell us.

And that article I posted you, reveals the detail of the Channel 7 extension were not revealed either. So how is it that know? and why is v' landy such a shit for honouring the agreement but Gil is holier than thou for making some vague of the cuff remark.

Is he using figures from his ANZ line of credit and Telstra sponsorship to come up with some of these fantasy figures?

Last edited:

Latest posts