What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

tri_colours

Juniors
Its to do with Covid. Wasnt our reduction only over 2 years?

both c7 and fox were after further reductions before they would re-signed.

The Fox deal was confidential and never revealed. But lucky your here PR to tell us.

Why is v' landy such a shit for honouring the agreement but Gil is holier than thou for making some vague of the cuff remark.

Is he using figures from his ANZ line of credit and Telstra sponsorship to come up with some of these fantasy figures?
And what this fixation you've got with conta, you act as though its a dirty word. As though the C7 deall wont have any - they had a stack last time.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
So with all there extra matches, all there extra addvertising oportunies we get $15m a year or less than the AFL on FTA . Yet the $130m that V'landy got us is a shit deal WTF!

As I said earlier the FTA market is down shaperly yet we have still got an increase...Unlike the AFL.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And what this fixation you've got with conta, you act as though its a dirty word. As though the C7 deall wont have any - they had a stack last time.
It’s not really worth much, it’s mostly just the tv channels promoting their own sports coverage. It’s not like they are actually running ads to promote the code.

End of day cold hard cash pays the bills. We have traditionally ended up with more contra, eg in 2019 our contra was $24.4mill v afls $16mill.

contra is just a way of making the overall figure look better than it actually is.

buy hey get excited as we have got an extra $5mill a year contra from Ch9 lol.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So with all there extra matches, all there extra addvertising oportunies we get $15m a year or less than the AFL on FTA . Yet the $130m that V'landy got us is a shit deal WTF!

As I said earlier the FTA market is down shaperly yet we have still got an increase...Unlike the AFL.
Nope, by my reckoning, with the seven back ended contract, the fta gap in 23&24 will be $60mill or there abouts.

Given origin is allegedly worth $30mill the gap for the tv value of the domestic comps is actually much greater, to the tune of $90mill a year by 2023! That is a staggering gap even with afls better metro coverage, extra game and more ads.

Hopefully we at least can close the extra slot for the next deal and get the xtra game in fta To start to claw back the difference. But we have more viewers, and everyone keeps saying Sydney is where the real advertising money is.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ye
so
its 730 mill for years 20-24
147 Mill a year .. on average , the same amount they paid for years 17/18 & 19
Just because they're paying around 117 million per year in 20, 21 & 22 & up to 190 million in 23 & 24 does not mean its an increase does it

Its the original deal amount , paid in different amounts in individual years yea ?
Yes but it helps explain where the money is coming from in 23 & 24 doesn’t it. Be interesting to see what it means for their bottom line in 21 &22 though.

Given origin is allegedly worth $30mill the gap for the tv value of the domestic comps is actually much greater.

Yes they have the extra tv slot and yes they have more ads. Hopefully we at least can close the extra slot for the next deal and get the xtra game in fta To start to claw back the difference. But we have more viewers, and everyone keeps saying Sydney is where the real advertising money is.
we make up the difference on STV tho
we get 25 million more a season then they do despite foxtel covering 7 more games for them
thats 125 million more over the life of the deal for 35 less games
thats not too shabby

Perth Red

Post Whore
we make up the difference on STV tho
we get 25 million more a season then they do despite foxtel covering 7 more games for them
thats 125 million more over the life of the deal for 35 less games
thats not too shabby
How can we? Their 7/fox/telstra deal is $473mill, ours is $368mill

the fta gap between the two is $60mill a year in 23&24 (allegedly)

That still leaves a gap of $45mill which is either being picked up by fox or telstra, I’d suggest likely mostly fox.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also for historic purposes remember when gygnell said a second brisbane club would be worth $100mill for Ch9 part of the deal?We’ll all it brought us was an extra $5mill of contra from them lol.

tri_colours

Juniors
It’s not really worth much, it’s mostly just the tv channels promoting their own sports coverage. It’s not like they are actually running ads to promote the code.

End of day cold hard cash pays the bills. We have traditionally ended up with more contra, eg in 2019 our contra was $24.4mill v afls $16mill.

contra is just a way of making the overall figure look better than it actually is.

buy hey get excited as we have got an extra $5mill a year contra from Ch9 lol.

Its advertisement that have to pay for yourself .
Cold card cash comes from promoting yourself.

As I said C7 had a stack last time. and Im sure thats a factor this time as well

Isnt it 15m? a year making up the 130m a year. There was 4 RL adds on that millionaire quizz show last night , promotion like that will keep the big surpluses rolling in.

Ye

Yes but it helps explain where the money is coming from in 23 & 24 doesn’t it. Be interesting to see what it means for their bottom line in 21 &22 though.
its not an increase tho is it
its just the same total amount messed around with in different years

& it doesn't explain all of it

so in2023/24 if its
190 million Ch 7
215 to 220 million foxtel

the key is telstras involvement
still no confirmation on what that figure is , just assumptions it is the same when it would be insanity for the publically listed telco giant to be paying the same $$ for what it orgiginally signed up for which was streaming rights to all games , & now its some replays & website maintenance.
The only figure I've seen is $60 million for the online rights in a new 5 year deal starting this season reported here

now
what would that be if it wasn't the revised deal ?
its not in addition is it
Telstra aren't paying the AFL 62 million a year for pretty much nothing are they haha

Perth Red

Post Whore
History of tv deal increases

2007-2012 $570mill over 6 years = $95mill per year
2013-2018 $1.125 bill over 5 years = $225mill year (136% increase)
2018-2023 $1.9bill over 5 years = $380mill year (69% increase)
2023-2027 $2bill over 5 years = $400mill year (5% increase)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its advertisement that have to pay for yourself .
Cold card cash comes from promoting yourself.

As I said C7 had a stack last time. and Im sure thats a factor this time as well

Isnt it 15m? a year making up the 130m a year. There was 4 RL adds on that millionaire quizz show last night , promotion like that will keep the big surpluses rolling in.
Yeh if they were promoting the game but vast majority is promoting what games they are showing next. It’s self promotion, not really promoting the game. If there was a plethora of ads showcasing rugby league, encouraging kids to play rugby league etc then yeh fair enough, but it isnt.

tri_colours

Juniors
Also for historic purposes remember when gygnell said a second brisbane club would be worth $100mill for Ch9 part of the deal?We’ll all it brought us was an extra $5mill of contra from them lol.
And while while we are re visiting our past the FTA market has gone back a long long way since then. And we have got more on Fox.

Perth Red

Post Whore

so in2023/24 if its
190 million Ch 7

still no confirmation on what that figure is , just assumptions it is the same when it would be insanity for the publically listed telco giant to be paying the same $$ for what it orgiginally signed up for which was streaming rights to all games , & now its some replays & website maintenance.
The only figure I've seen is $60 million for the online rights in a new 5 year deal starting this season reported here

now
Telstra aren't paying the AFL 62 million a year for pretty much nothing are they haha
I mean we are just playing guess work but let’s say seven is $190mill, telstra is around the $50mill that leaves fox around the $233mill mark.

according to what you’ve said re seven and telstra their last deal was $433mill per year of which seven paid $147mill, telstra $50mill and that left fox paying $236mill.

If seven are paying $190mill and fox a little bit more as they have said (let’s say 5% more) equals $247mill that leaves telstra with $37mill.

but we are just guessing.

ps you’re being disingenuous re telstra and what they are getting in this deal. You have been shown numerous times that it is much more than that, including revenue from afls digital arm and advertising rights using afl branding and players.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And while while we are re visiting our past the FTA market has gone back a long long way since then. And we have got more on Fox.
Has it?
free to air Tv advertising revenue hit an all time record $3.3billion last year!

tri_colours

Juniors
History of tv deal increases

2007-2012 $570mill over 6 years = $95mill per year
2013-2018 $1.125 bill over 5 years = $225mill year (136% increase)
2018-2023 $1.9bill over 5 years = $380mill year (69% increase)
2023-2027 $2bill over 5 years = $400mill year (5% increase)
An Increase, unlike what your mate at the AFL got,

An the $380m a year figured included Naming Rights for Telstra

colly

Juniors

so in2023/24 if its
190 million Ch 7

now
I think that Seven paying $190m for two years is fancible. If that is so why before this redictus amount contract they signed did they want to get rid of cricket. So much so they are STILL in court about reducing the contracted mount ( 75m ) over six years. So they say Cricket Big Bash/tests/ashes) at $75 per year is TOOO Much but decide to pay $190m yearly for two years.. Again I say they just put the same back from he discount they (seven) got for CoronaVirus. Everything you been saying is spot on. So they don't show the The Age story that Telstra payed for 50 large ones because it never existed. Much like their $946m over two years- fantasy. Any sane man would stop digging, not our Mr Red, he just keeps digging and down he goes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think that Seven paying $190m for two years is fancible. If that is so why before this redictus amount contract they signed did they want to get rid of cricket. So much so they are STILL in court about reducing the contracted mount ( 75m ) over six years. So they say Cricket Big Bash/tests/ashes) at $75 per year is TOOO Much but decide to pay $190m yearly for two years.. Again I say they just put the same back from he discount they (seven) got for CoronaVirus. Everything you been saying is spot on. So they don't show the The Age story that Telstra payed for 50 large ones because it never existed. Much like their $946m over two years- fantasy. Any sane man would stop digging, not our Mr Red, he just keeps digging and down he goes.
Largely as it’s possibly a back ended contract where they are paying less in the 20-22 and more in 23/24. The total remains same at the stated $730mill over 5 years. I think the $80mill reduction 20-22 is actually the back ended bit by the sounds of it,

Also I’m taking both deals at face value of what has been officially announced by both codes CEO’s until it is proved otherwise. Speculating how the deal is made up, or not wanting to believe it because they did better is not proof it doesn’t exist lol.

ive given you the facts as have been stated in the media, if you want to be a trump supporter type who doesn’t believe reported truths because it doesn’t suit your agenda then so be it. When you start a post with “I think” …. Then your already telling us it’s just your opinion with no evidence to back it up.

Last edited:

Latest posts