What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

jim_57

Staff member
Huh, almost as if ground capacities change over time.

So the listed capacity on Ausstadiums was hardly unreliable, they’ve just decided not to let as many in this time for whatever reason. Nothing to prove 5100 is the new set capacity.

t-ba

Post Whore
So the listed capacity on Ausstadiums was hardly unreliable, they’ve just decided not to let as many in this time for whatever reason. Nothing to prove 5100 is the new set capacity.

How do you think capacity is determined mate?

Before the New Stand was added the dimensions of Brookvale had not changed appreciable since the Arko Stand was put in but the capacity was definitely reduced.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Crowds - Round 22​

Thu 7:50pmBRI v SYDGabba21,841
Fri 6:00pmWST v SOUScully10,453
Fri 8:00pmMEL v PARMarvel20,429
Sat 3:00pmCAN v NEWGIO15,487
Sat 5:30pmSGI v MANWIN14,872
Sat 7:35pmPEN v CROBluebet20,694
Sun 2:00pmCBY v DOLSalter5,130
Sun 4:05pmGLD v NQLCbus16,516

Round Total: 125,422 / Average per game 15,678
Season Total: 2,949,618 / Average per match: 17,985

jim_57

Staff member
How do you think capacity is determined mate?

Before the New Stand was added the dimensions of Brookvale had not changed appreciable since the Arko Stand was put in but the capacity was definitely reduced.

I get that but what has changed in a year to drop capacity roughly 40%? I understand OH&S gradually dropping capacities of any grounds with hills or older grandstands but 40% from one event to the next is the biggest drop I’ve ever seen. I guess we’ll find out next Bundaberg game if/when there is one.

I’m not knocking the bush games, I grew up 700kms from the nearest NRL club so I appreciate what it can mean for these communities and the benefit the clubs get from it in return.

It’d even go one further and trial an NRL “country round” if it could be done. Use existing partnerships like Panthers/Bathurst, Raiders/Wagga, Rabbitohs/Cairns, Sharks/Coffs etc where possible and play all games in country regions that weekend. These games get played anyway just scattered throughout the year. Drum it up in the media as NRL “giving back to the country” and some other wanky slogan, the ‘Feel good factor’ would be huge.

t-ba

Post Whore
because they are rugby fans. Because the warriors aren’t playing. Because there’s f@ck all happening that day.

If a test match between Australia and NZ just cracks 12k what makes you think people are going to come out for two gumbie clubs like the Dogs and the Dolphins?

There was a very well attended Women's World Cup match in Auckland today (better than any RL match in NZ since about 1988) so there was hardly f**k all happening in Auckland today.

was thinking more about switching “home” games to NZ.

Why would you mention the fact that there is a Warriors bye this weekend as a reason to move a game to Auckland then?

Brian potter

First Grade
16.5k is pretty decent for a team coming 14th who typically don’t do as well with Sunday afternoon games. One day Titans will have a top 4 year or 2 and we’ll see them push 20k average again I reckon.
Hope you’re right because the Gold Coast is a big independent city with a great stadium that needs a competitive team and big crowds.

Brian potter

First Grade
If a test match between Australia and NZ just cracks 12k what makes you think people are going to come out for two gumbie clubs like the Dogs and the Dolphins?
the dolphins?
There was a very well attended Women's World Cup match in Auckland today (better than any RL match in NZ since about 1988) so there was hardly f**k all happening in Auckland today.
yeah, fair point. I’ve no interest in the womens World Cup so didn’t know that but that crowd is amazing and depressing at the same time.
Why would you mention the fact that there is a Warriors bye this weekend as a reason to move a game to Auckland then?
moving Aussie based teams “home” games to NZ when playing the warriors would show appreciation by the NRL towards the warriors while moving a few all Aussie team matchups to New Zealand would show appreciation to all NZ league fans and the NZRL.

especially when the warriors have a bye.

t-ba

Post Whore
the dolphins?

The Dolphins are the team who played the Bulldogs in Bundaberg today.

moving Aussie based teams “home” games to NZ when playing the warriors would show appreciation by the NRL towards the warriors while moving a few all Aussie team matchups to New Zealand would show appreciation to all NZ league fans and the NZRL.

especially when the warriors have a bye.

Maybe, just maybe, there isn't much interest in all Australian match ups in New Zealand, which is why cities like Napier and Hamilton only want Warriors matches?

Showing our appreciation by playing in quarter full grounds hardly seems like a particularly magnificent idea. Probably a worse look than a game at Salter Oval.

Maybe a Magic Round or something.

t-ba

Post Whore
I get that but what has changed in a year to drop capacity roughly 40%? I understand OH&S gradually dropping capacities of any grounds with hills or older grandstands but 40% from one event to the next is the biggest drop I’ve ever seen. I guess we’ll find out next Bundaberg game if/when there is one.

In 2022 they probably hadn't had a big event there like that for a long time, and after the event decided to drastically slash capacity to something more manageable and safe.

I’m not knocking the bush games, I grew up 700kms from the nearest NRL club so I appreciate what it can mean for these communities and the benefit the clubs get from it in return.

It’d even go one further and trial an NRL “country round” if it could be done. Use existing partnerships like Panthers/Bathurst, Raiders/Wagga, Rabbitohs/Cairns, Sharks/Coffs etc where possible and play all games in country regions that weekend. These games get played anyway just scattered throughout the year. Drum it up in the media as NRL “giving back to the country” and some other wanky slogan, the ‘Feel good factor’ would be huge.

I am all for Bush games.

That looks a shit ton better than the 8k it would have got at Belmore or Commbank.

Brian potter

First Grade
The Dolphins are the team who played the Bulldogs in Bundaberg today.
I know. The dolphins being the new boys could be a draw alongside both teams having a few kiwi boys in their teams .
Maybe, just maybe, there isn't much interest in all Australian match ups in New Zealand, which is why cities like Napier and Hamilton only want Warriors matches?

Showing our appreciation by playing in quarter full grounds hardly seems like a particularly magnificent idea. Probably a worse look than a game at Salter Oval.

Maybe a Magic Round or something.
magic at Eden would be good or the new Christchurch stadium when finished.

although I can’t stand it origin at Eden park would be good also.

jim_57

Staff member
Hope you’re right because the Gold Coast is a big independent city with a great stadium that needs a competitive team and big crowds.

Averaging 16585 at Cbus so far this year which I’d imagine is their best in quite some time, probably since their early years if I had to guess. 19964 if you include Magic.

Edit: Checked it. Best since 2010 and 5th best in their history with Cbus only, best since 2008 and 3rd best in their history including Magic.

Last edited: