What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Pjf04b

Juniors
As I said we are all passionate towards our clubs. You were out by 50 years on my age. I have been attending Penrith games since 1967. Sorry if I annoy you, but It works two ways.

Pjf04b

Juniors
No, only a few people feel that way. The same probably goes with you. I noticed hum de hum arguments seemed to be annoying a few!

APPSY

Juniors
So anyways, back to crowd watching..

Storm vs Roosters on Friday is going to be killed by the 90,000+ next door at Melbourne vs Carlton (may even out rate us on TV too). Genuinley anything higher than 20,000 is a win.
SHOULD be a full house for the Saturday game in NZ. Hope they add extra seats.

If it's Penrith Roosters in the prelim I expect at least 50,000 or more at Accor.

VERY shocked that the Broncos game week three is on Saturday. And if it is expected for the Lions game to be on the Saturday too around the same time, good luck to Brisbane roads and public transport with having to host nearly 90,000 fans across two venues. But who knows, maybe everything will be changed around.

undertaker

Coach

Storm vs Roosters on Friday is going to be killed by the 90,000+ next door at Melbourne vs Carlton (may even out rate us on TV too). Genuinley anything higher than 20,000 is a win.

If it's Penrith Roosters in the prelim I expect at least 50,000 or more at Accor.

VERY shocked that the Broncos game week three is on Saturday. And if it is expected for the Lions game to be on the Saturday too around the same time, good luck to Brisbane roads and public transport with having to host nearly 90,000 fans across two venues. But who knows, maybe everything will be changed around.
Well, since the NRL chose the current final series format in 2012, the winner of the Sunday week 1 finals match generally gets grouped to play the following Saturday night in week 2, with the week 3 finals scheduled so there's a 7 day interval between matches for the week 2 winners.

Therefore, with Newcastle vs Canberra chosen as the week 1 Sunday match, and the Warriors/Knights on the same half of the finals draw as the winner of Brisbane/Melbourne, therefore it's not surprising Broncos vs Warriors/Knights is on a Saturday night.

yakstorm

First Grade
McDonalds Jones Stadium currently only has an approved licensed capacity of 30,000.

Not sure why it was reduced from 33K only a few years back, but both VenuesNSW and the official site confirm the capacity at 30K.

undertaker

Coach
However, like Diesel and other members on this forum, I do wish week 2 and 3 finals went back to Saturday night/Sunday, like they were during 1999-2005 and 2007. It's absolutely criminal that the NRL allowed Channel 9 to get away with what they have over the past decade, like several other things (but that's a subject for another day)

In 2008-12, Ch9 got the NRL to change week 2/3 finals to Friday night/Saturday night as a compromise for the Grand Final being moved to the 5:20-5:25pm twilight kickoff, which most fans didn't want: the debate at the time was between Ch9's beloved night GF and the fans reminiscing over the BBQs they use to have when it was a 3pm afternoon GF.

However, when Ch9 got their night Grand Final back in 2013 (and pushed further back from 7 to 7:30pm), it was only fair that those week 2/3 finals should've reverted back to Saturday night/Sunday.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
However, like Diesel and other members on this forum, I do wish week 2 and 3 finals went back to Saturday night/Sunday, like they were during 1999-2005 and 2007. It's absolutely criminal that the NRL allowed Channel 9 to get away with what they have over the past decade, like several other things (but that's a subject for another day)

In 2008-12, Ch9 got the NRL to change week 2/3 finals to Friday night/Saturday night as a compromise for the Grand Final being moved to the 5:20pm twilight kickoff, which most fans didn't want: the debate at the time was between 7pm night and 3pm afternoon GF.

However, when Ch9 got their night Grand Final back in 2013 (and pushed further back to 7:30pm), it was only fair that those week 2/3 finals should've reverted back to Saturday night/Sunday.
it's like ch9 and the NRL think people don't remember...........

undertaker

Coach
it's like ch9 and the NRL think people don't remember...........
I just wish V'landys et al. had the balls to stick it up to Ch9. The NRL administration has allowed Ch9 to dictate the terms for far too long at the expense of the fans.

If Ch9 want a night GF, week 2 and 3 finals go back to Saturday night/Sunday like it was during 1999-2005, 2007.

If Ch9 want week 2 and 3 finals to still be on Friday night/Saturday night, then at the very minimum, the GF should be moved forward to what it was during 2008-12. In daylight savings time, a 5:15pm kickoff is almost what a 4:05pm kickoff would be during the previous few weeks before the GF, with the game finishing approx. 15-20 minutes after sunset.

Say what you want about the AFL, but with the exception of 2020/21 when Melbourne had COVID restrictions, the GF was moved interstate to Brisbane and Perth respectively, and the AFL experimented during those 2 years with having kickoff in primetime on the East Coast of Australia, there has been enough support from the fans to still retain the traditional 2:30pm GF kickoff

Iamback

Coach

Too short a turn around for Knights/Warriors.

If Warriors make it they will change the time, They can't do that on Friday

undertaker

Coach
Love it. Great work NRL. My fear was Ch 9 was going to dictate and force the timeslot to 6.30 AEST.

Should get a great crowd. Looking forward to it
Had the Warriors won yesterday and got the home Friday night preliminary final in week 3, Ch9 would've definitely had the game kickoff sometime after 6:30pm (8:30pm NZ time), actually closer to 7pm (9pm kickoff in NZ). 30 minute Nine News bulletin + at least another 15 to 20 minutes for the pre-game show before kickoff. No way would Ch9 tamper with their "sacred" 6pm news bulletin on a Friday night.

Regarding late kickoffs, I remember several Broncos Friday night away games in the first few rounds of 2012 in NSW (e.g. in Newcastle) commenced at nearly 9pm due to daylight savings, causing complaints among the fans as the game didn't finish until well after 10:30pm

However, with the Saturday finals game, there's flexibility to move the kickoff time. In 2021, Melbourne's Saturday preliminary final vs Penrith was moved to 4pm so it didn't clash with the AFL Grand Final that commenced in primetime due to be held in Perth.

Last edited: