What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
Regarding late kickoffs, I remember several Broncos Friday night away games in the first few rounds of 2012 in NSW (e.g. in Newcastle) commenced at nearly 9pm due to daylight savings, causing complaints among the fans as the game didn't finish until well after 10:30pm
Yeah I remember that, back when Nine use to hold the rights to 2x Friday Night matches and would pick a different game for the Queensland market & NSW.

First 4 or so rounds during that deal meant if any team outside of Queensland drew the designated Nine Qld match (which 9 time out of 10 was versus the Broncos), they'd have roughly an 8:45pm kick off.

We still had 1 hour delays on the Sunday Nine game back then as well.

Valheru

Coach
VERY shocked that the Broncos game week three is on Saturday. And if it is expected for the Lions game to be on the Saturday too around the same time, good luck to Brisbane roads and public transport with having to host nearly 90,000 fans across two venues. But who knows, maybe everything will be changed around.
Lions will be Friday night as they play the winner of the AFL semi this coming Friday

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
VERY shocked that the Broncos game week three is on Saturday. And if it is expected for the Lions game to be on the Saturday too around the same time, good luck to Brisbane roads and public transport with having to host nearly 90,000 fans across two venues. But who knows, maybe everything will be changed around.
Worth noting two things here:
- AFL Saturday prelim is usually 4:35pm so there won't be a clash if Lions is scheduled Saturday
- Both AFL and NRL went direct head to head with Matildas during WWC - should cope fine

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ticketmaster do not have a map up - I hope that they will bring in some northern stands like they did in 2008. Those together with the larger south stand should bring like 31k similar to the All Blacks vs Springbok crowd a few months ago.

Edit - map is up, no north stand.

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
So anyways, back to crowd watching..

Storm vs Roosters on Friday is going to be killed by the 90,000+ next door at Melbourne vs Carlton (may even out rate us on TV too). Genuinley anything higher than 20,000 is a win.
SHOULD be a full house for the Saturday game in NZ. Hope they add extra seats.

If it's Penrith Roosters in the prelim I expect at least 50,000 or more at Accor.

Good on the NRL going up against the AFL.

The dribble coming out of victoria that they own QLD is nothing but laughable.

PVL and the NRL will deal them a massive reality check with a sold out Suncorp. While the Lions are at the Gabba at same time.

Tv Ratings in Brisbane will also suffer for the AFL if on at same time.

PVL has called there bluff.

Move is on AFL now play the Lions at 7:30pm against the NRL or force channel 7 to play it at 4pm out of prime time.

Valheru

Coach
Good on the NRL going up against the AFL.

The dribble coming out of victoria that they own QLD is nothing but laughable.

PVL and the NRL will deal them a massive reality check with a sold out Suncorp. While the Lions are at the Gabba at same time.

Tv Ratings in Brisbane will also suffer for the AFL if on at same time.

PVL has called there bluff.

Move is on AFL now play the Lions at 7:30pm against the NRL or force channel 7 to play it at 4pm out of prime time.
It won't be against the NRL

Lions will play Friday unless the AFL are planning to give the winners of their upcoming Saturday match a 6 day turnaround. Even if they did do that in favour of a Friday fixture at the MCG, as someone else said, they have a long history of the Saturday prelim being a twilight fixture as they have this thing where they want every player to be able to get home that Saturday night.

King-Gutho94

Coach
It won't be against the NRL

Lions will play Friday unless the AFL are planning to give the winners of their upcoming Saturday match a 6 day turnaround. Even if they did do that in favour of a Friday fixture at the MCG, as someone else said, they have a long history of the Saturday prelim being a twilight fixture as they have this thing where they want every player to be able to get home that Saturday night.
AFL normally give the Minor Premier the friday night before the GF as the advantage which would have been Collingwood.

Anyway we have probably screwed them over by forcing them to play Lions on Friday night and infuriating the collingwood fans haha.

yobbo84

Coach
The way the finals draw looks, potentially the Panthers prelim will be the only match that doesn't sell out (depending on how many people show up in Melbourne).... unless they play that Prelim at Allianz (they should)

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The way the finals draw looks, potentially the Panthers prelim will be the only match that doesn't sell out (depending on how many people show up in Melbourne).... unless they play that Prelim at Allianz (they should)
I guess because the venue has been listed as TBA, if it's against Melbourne the NRL might book Bankwest and only use Homebush if it's against the Roosters

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Just a thought, both Saturday games combined drew 34,082...why didn't we hold a double header either at Homebush or Allianz.

We did back in 2013 for Cronulla v North QLD and Easts v Manly (32,717)

Imagine if we got a full house for a Homebush double header.

Finals in Sydney always used to be centralised, and if you want to win the GF, it is at Homebush, so you might as well learn early!

I know Homebush is a hole in the middle of nowhere, but to me it seems arvo games there are more attended than night games, I'd like to see if there is a correlation or not.

Iamback

Coach
Just a thought, both Saturday games combined drew 34,082...why didn't we hold a double header either at Homebush or Allianz.

Finals in Sydney always used to be centralised, and if you want to win the GF, it is at Homebush, so you might as well learn early!

I know Homebush is a hole to get to, but to me it seems arvo games at Homebush are more attended than night games, I'd like to see if there is a correlation or not.

You make less money that way

bazza

Immortal
I guess because the venue has been listed as TBA, if it's against Melbourne the NRL might book Bankwest and only use Homebush if it's against the Roosters
Broncos prelim venue is also listed as TBA

Yosemite Sam

Juniors

I know Homebush is a hole in the middle of nowhere, but to me it seems arvo games there are more attended than night games, I'd like to see if there is a correlation or not.
Because double headers for finals matches are a f**king horrible idea. There was outrage back in 2013 with that fixture purely because it would've attracted more people had the matches been standalone.

We don't need to cheapen our product with bullshit double headers at finals time.

Iamback

Coach

I think that would be moreso the time. Warriors make it and it will be earlier

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Because double headers for finals matches are a f**king horrible idea. There was outrage back in 2013 with that fixture purely because it would've attracted more people had the matches been standalone.

We don't need to cheapen our product with bullshit double headers at finals time.
No, let's cheapen our product by playing in front of 12,000 people...looked like a Super Rugby finals crowd!

Iamback

Coach
No, let's cheapen our product by playing in front of 12,000 people...looked like a Super Rugby finals crowd!

Which cost virtually nothing to hire, They were able to charge $80 for most seats.

Same at Penrith as opposed to more to rent, less demand = cheaper tickets. It is much better outcome

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

The below is an NRL media release. The match is at Suncorp Stadium.

Official fixtures

NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series – Week 2

Semi Final: Friday, September 15, 7.50pm (EST), AAMI Park
Melbourne Storm v Sydney Roosters

Semi Final: Saturday, September 16, 6.05pm (4.05pm EST), Go Media Stadium
New Zealand Warriors v Newcastle Knights

NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series – Week 3

Preliminary Final: Friday, September 22, 7.50pm (EST), TBC
Penrith Panthers v Winner of Melbourne Storm/Sydney Roosters

Preliminary Final: Saturday, September 23, 7.50pm (EST), Suncorp Stadium
Brisbane Broncos v Winner of Warriors/Newcastle Knights

Latest posts