What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Iamback

Coach
Once the Light Rail opens next year, Parramatta will have probably the best transport links to any stadium in Sydney, with also the best game day options for food and beverage.

Still not the best coming from Norwest area, which is strange as they train up there

Suitman

Post Whore
Still not the best coming from Norwest area, which is strange as they train up there

Plenty of bus services from the north west but yes, I agree.
I'm in Castle Hill. Getting there isn't a problem. Getting home late after a game is an issue.
There really needs to be either light rail or metro built from the north west to Parramatta and beyond, to maybe Bankstown and Kogarah/Hurstville to fill in that missing middle link in the Sydney transport plan.
It is certainly in the long term transport plans.

Then there isn't a great deal you can do, Brookvale averaged 13k, short of moving their games they will sit around that mark
Yeah, but the question was what can be done to improve the averages, not what can we do to make the crowd averages remain average.

So my answer was that we should play fixtures out of accessible stadiums which are not old relics. I thought this was an easily understandable insinuation where I think the NSW government must get on board and improve the suburban stadiums.

I feel like I am having to go through a lot of unnecessary explanation with you on this.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yeah, but the question was what can be done to improve the averages, not what can we do to make the crowd averages remain average.

So my answer was that we should play fixtures out of accessible stadiums which are not old relics. I thought this was an easily understandable insinuation where I think the NSW government must get on board and improve the suburban stadiums.

I feel like I am having to go through a lot of unnecessary explanation with you on this.
Everyone knows that. You're the ideas man, tell us where the money is coming from in the times where governments are tightening their belts.

yakstorm

First Grade
Dolphins have confirmed they'll play an extra game at Suncorp next year (8), so that definitely helps.

They are still playing 3 at Redcliffe though.

As horrible as it sounds one thing that would help crowd averages is limiting 'on the road' games to bigger venues.

Outside of Hamilton & Perth, most matches taken away from the regular home games this year attracted 11K or less, below most teams averages.

The other thing that would play a significant role is preventing certain clubs from playing in certain timeslots.

For example, outside of anomalies like Broncos v Storm, both Suncorp teams drew significantly higher when playing either Friday 8pm or on the weekend.

Parramatta is similar, the upside of them not having Friday or Thursday night, was worth about 30%.

Titans have struggled to draw good crowds for day games, so give them night slots and the dreaded Mother's Day game (especially the 2pm timeslot) should not be given to clubs who can draw more than 15K.

Key derbies should be protected from being played at certain timeslot, ie. Don't play Cowboys v Broncos at 3pm on a Saturday, etc.

Rigging it a bit like that could make a noticeable difference to the averages, especially when the upside is an extra 10K+ to a game (Eels v Panthers for example this year would have sold out on a Friday, but instead got 17K on a Thursday)

t-ba

Post Whore
In the long run if you give the smaller drawing clubs only the dud timeslots you are limiting crowd growth. Can't just think in terms of immediate gratification.

Everyone knows that. You're the ideas man, tell us where the money is coming from in the times where governments are tightening their belts.
It will need further supplement from governing bodies, clubs and their respective gambling cash.

Improved stadiums is only one way to improve gates. Another is to make more events out of matches.

I think there is a lot to be said about slightly pushing back the Friday 8pm KO to 8.15 or 8.30 and making the 6.15pm or 6.30pm Friday night kick offs exclusively between Sydney clubs and played only at the SFS or Parra Stadium. Capture the after work crowd and even try and get fans of other clubs interested in attending the fixtures. Sure your team may not be playing but one of the teams of two of your mates are playing, so head down anyway. Throw on some post match entertainment from some Sydney bands. Let the crowd on the pitch to watch them after the players have gone in. Turn around a consistently underperforming fixture into a consistent high achiever for maximum benefit.

SFS for Roosters, Sea Eagles, Bunnies, Dragons and Sharks.

Parra Stadium for Dogs, Tigers, Eels and Panthers.

Harry O

Juniors
It will need further supplement from governing bodies, clubs and their respective gambling cash.

Improved stadiums is only one way to improve gates. Another is to make more events out of matches.

I think there is a lot to be said about slightly pushing back the Friday 8pm KO to 8.15 or 8.30 and making the 6.15pm or 6.30pm Friday night kick offs exclusively between Sydney clubs and played only at the SFS or Parra Stadium. Capture the after work crowd and even try and get fans of other clubs interested in attending the fixtures. Sure your team may not be playing but one of the teams of two of your mates are playing, so head down anyway. Throw on some post match entertainment from some Sydney bands. Let the crowd on the pitch to watch them after the players have gone in. Turn around a consistently underperforming fixture into a consistent high achiever for maximum benefit.

Manly playing games at SFS? No chance in that happening, the fans never leave the Northern beaches, why would they? It's gods country lol

Pneuma

First Grade

Later starts for Friday night games? Are you serious? That in itself is a really silly idea.

Manly playing games at SFS? No chance in that happening, the fans never leave the Northern beaches, why would they? It's gods country lol
They used to for events like the semis and GF. It’s not like they will be there every week either and there should be a good wedge of them working in and around the city to go straight after work. Same to be said for Sharks.

Harry O

Juniors
They used to for events like the semis and GF. It’s not like they will be there every week either and there should be a good wedge of them working in and around the city to go straight after work. Same to be said for Sharks.
I'm a manly fan, and I've only been to 5 games this year, and I've watched more parra tigers saints dogs roosters games this year. I'm not selfish ill watch any team these days with mates, as they all support diff teams.