What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

It’s not even seasons end and we are already getting drivel like this posted mate.

He's an ideas man.
In any case you two knockers, the idea can still work for a 6pm KO instead of 6.15 or 6.30 if it really is to difficult to KO the later game at 8.15pm.

Is it just a bit late for you two, or does everything have to be spelled out for you? Take the off the cuff idea and run with it.

The idea is around maximising Sydney derby matches. Strewth, make it a Saturday night then. The fact is there are 9 Sydney based clubs and I think there is a lot to be said for working on those suburban rivalries much more than already happens. Bloody hell, it feels like every season at least one Sharks v Dragons game is on a Thursday night. Sometimes it is played in Wollongong. Now that is stupid!

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
Umm ok. A game of RL takes about 1hr 45mins. How is an 8.15 or 8.30 start finishing near 11?
Jesus. The game from kick off to finish goes for two hours. You kick off at 8.30 and you won’t be getting out of the ground to your transport till about 11pm. You then have to get home. Show some common sense. And yeah sure make Manly fans travel to the SFS on a Friday night for an 8.30 kick off. Great bloody idea. But just ignore me. I think your ideas are generally naive and silly. But don’t let that stop you.

Pneuma

First Grade
In any case you two knockers, the idea can still work for a 6pm KO if it really is to difficult to KO the later game at 8.15pm.

Is it just a bit late for you two, or does everything have to be spelled out for you? Take the off the cuff idea and run with it.

The idea is around maximising Sydney derby matches. Strewth, make it a Saturday night then. The fact is there are 9 Sydney based clubs and I think there is a lot to be said for working on those suburban rivalries much more than already happens. Bloody hell, it feels like every season at least one Sharks v Dragons game is on a Thursday night. Sometimes it is played in Wollongong. Now that is stupid!
Potato

Jesus. The game from kick off to finish goes for two hours. You kick off at 8.30 and you won’t be getting out of the ground to your transport till about 11pm. You then have to get home. Show some common sense. And yeah sure make Manly fans travel to the SFS on a Friday night for an 8.30 kick off. Great bloody idea. But just ignore me. I think your ideas are generally naive and silly. But don’t let that stop you.
One more time… the Sydney Derby idea I proposed is not for the later kick off, it’s for the early Friday night kick off. Potato!

APPSY

Juniors
yes - just need to get improved stadiums and transport and we can really bump the average up
some ideas

- Canberra: New covered stadium in Civic area with capacity up to 30k
- Penrith - rebuild with an extra 2 - 5k seats
- Homebush - complete rebuild in rectangular mode. Finish construction of west metro line passing through and light rail. Build a new north - south metro line linking to other parts of Sydney
- Parramatta - stadium is ok - just improve transport with extensions to the west metro and parramatta light rail. could also add a new metro line running through Parra going say NW to SE
- Manly - Build a western grandstand with cover. Build a metro line to the region either running east-west from Chatswood area or north south from the city (or both)
- Saints - Play 6 games at SFS and 6 in Wollongong
- Tigers - Play 8 games at the rebuilt Homebush stadium and 4 at Campbelltown
- Newcastle - upgrade stadium with another 5k seats. Extend light rail to the stadium via Broadmeadows station. Build fast rail from Sydney to attract more visitors
- Gold Coast - extend gold coast light rail from the coast inland to Robina

We just need to change the focus of government transport policy on getting people to NRL games efficiently
Canberra: desperately needs a roofed stadium. Or a stadium played at bloody ground level.

Penrith: with their 300 million they've been granted, they should HOPEFULLY be able to add stands to the try zone areas while also making it all wrap around (only issue is that one of the grandstands would potentially not happen due to constraints).

Homebush: Agreed the NRL should hopefully push for the refurbishment of Homebush, but I think the crowd size needs to stay the same. Going from 82,500 to 75,000 would be a bit of a back step for bigger games. It still baffles me how hard it is to get to Homebush after all these years, but the NSW government has other ideas sadly.

Parra - Genuinely should never need a stadium rebuild again. Touch ups every so often yes, but what a world class stadium.

Manly - I'll speak about my thoughts regarding 'suburban' grounds at the end, but absolutely. Add another grandstand, and have a nice little 22-25k boutique stadium.

Saints - Sadly until they start being a dominant force again, I see them doing this. But hopefully 5 WIN, 2 Allianz (ANZAC & another big fixture i.e Bunnies maybe?) and 1 Jubilee. But at the same time, when their home grounds are packed, the sea of Red & White is truly breathtaking.

Tigers - IF Homebush is rebuilt, yes. Otherwise I'm fine with what's been announced with 5 Leichardt (god that ground needs refurbishments), 5 Campbelltown, Magic Round and their regional game.

Newcastle - Give this lads a fully enclosed stadium, and I guarantee you they'll be top 5 in attendances. Their form this year has sparked something again. An express train would work wonders too!

Titans - we have a station right next to CBUS already, Robina Station. The tramline is being extended down to Burleigh then from Burleigh down to the airport (pending permission from the NSW government). CBUS is fine as it is, but.. wouldn't mind newer seats soon. Either way, Gold Coast is a city full of every team's supporters, and I hope that if the scheduling is good for us again this year (bar the Tigers on THURSDAY and Dragons on SUNDAY), we can start drawing similar if not higher crowds (especially if we hit form).

Now, as a kid, seeing packed out suburban grounds like Leichardt, Brookie, etc. is what made me fall in love with the game. Seeing seas of nothing but Orange and Maroon fill out the hills was awesome. But as I've gotten older, i've realised that in order for the sport to grow, those grounds need to be upgraded or unfortunately abandoned. We really need to be taken seriously as a sport we need serious sporting infrastructure.

Vee

First Grade
So if we had every game practically sold out like other leagues do globally (NFL, EPL, etc.) we'd be on par as one of the top sports in the world based on average attendance? Wonder what the NRL can do further to increase crowd figures?
Stop playing in 12000 (or less) capacity stadiums?

Pneuma

First Grade
Canberra: desperately needs a roofed stadium. Or a stadium played at bloody ground level.

Penrith: with their 300 million they've been granted, they should HOPEFULLY be able to add stands to the try zone areas while also making it all wrap around (only issue is that one of the grandstands would potentially not happen due to constraints).

Homebush: Agreed the NRL should hopefully push for the refurbishment of Homebush, but I think the crowd size needs to stay the same. Going from 82,500 to 75,000 would be a bit of a back step for bigger games. It still baffles me how hard it is to get to Homebush after all these years, but the NSW government has other ideas sadly.

Parra - Genuinely should never need a stadium rebuild again. Touch ups every so often yes, but what a world class stadium.

Manly - I'll speak about my thoughts regarding 'suburban' grounds at the end, but absolutely. Add another grandstand, and have a nice little 22-25k boutique stadium.

Saints - Sadly until they start being a dominant force again, I see them doing this. But hopefully 5 WIN, 2 Allianz (ANZAC & another big fixture i.e Bunnies maybe?) and 1 Jubilee. But at the same time, when their home grounds are packed, the sea of Red & White is truly breathtaking.

Tigers - IF Homebush is rebuilt, yes. Otherwise I'm fine with what's been announced with 5 Leichardt (god that ground needs refurbishments), 5 Campbelltown, Magic Round and their regional game.

Newcastle - Give this lads a fully enclosed stadium, and I guarantee you they'll be top 5 in attendances. Their form this year has sparked something again. An express train would work wonders too!

Titans - we have a station right next to CBUS already, Robina Station. The tramline is being extended down to Burleigh then from Burleigh down to the airport (pending permission from the NSW government). CBUS is fine as it is, but.. wouldn't mind newer seats soon. Either way, Gold Coast is a city full of every team's supporters, and I hope that if the scheduling is good for us again this year (bar the Tigers on THURSDAY and Dragons on SUNDAY), we can start drawing similar if not higher crowds (especially if we hit form).

Now, as a kid, seeing packed out suburban grounds like Leichardt, Brookie, etc. is what made me fall in love with the game. Seeing seas of nothing but Orange and Maroon fill out the hills was awesome. But as I've gotten older, i've realised that in order for the sport to grow, those grounds need to be upgraded or unfortunately abandoned. We really need to be taken seriously as a sport we need serious sporting infrastructure.
As a Sharks fan I’m not against anything you’ve posted. Wholeheartedly agree in fact. The Sharks need to fix our ground one way or the other. It’s been a poor advertisement for the club and the game for the last couple of years. But as for Leichhardt- that’s not fixable. It’s a lot worse than our ground. And Campbell Town looks deluxe amateur.