What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Jamberoo

Juniors
Why... better to be on the biggest stage of the season than some some gathering in front of 10k... the whole day is a festival as it is
There was about 10k in the stadium at the time including about 100 fans combined of the competing clubs. Have some faith in the product and play it at the home ground of the top ranked team.

Pneuma

First Grade
There was about 10k in the stadium at the time including about 100 fans combined of the competing clubs. Have some faith in the product and play it at the home ground of the top ranked team.
Increased dramatically as the game went on. Easily 40000 by the end of the game. As to when and where it should be played? I’d suggest they move the season to finish later and play State of Origin during it rather than before like they did this season. The product is very good and improving. As such I pretty much agree with you.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Increased dramatically as the game went on. Easily 40000 by the end of the game. As to when and where it should be played? I’d suggest they move the season to finish later and play State of Origin during it rather than before like they did this season. The product is very good and improving. As such I pretty much agree with you.
We agree? Amazing. We must be correct then.

You could do a Sunday week 2 or 3 of the finals.

docbrown

Coach
I actually think they could extend the season length by adding byes. Giving teams a rest during the season is going to aid the quality with player recovery. It also means fewer games played each week that clash with NRL men time slots, even though the total amount of games remain the same.

Bulldog2020

Juniors
If continuing with the nrlw on grand final day. It would be great if at one of the ends. They segregate it from the rest of the stadium. Then you could sell separate tickets for the State Cup, NRLW & NRL.

yakstorm

First Grade
Official crowd for the Women's game was 40,649, but agree that most of them were only in the ground for the last 10-15.

May have been 20K for the rest, but agree they were over 95% neutrals.

The long break between the Men's & Women’s game (2hrs 10minutes) makes the two finals feel even less connected.

If they played yesterday's Women’s GF at Newcastle, they would have had 20K minimum and I reckon they could have sold it out.

Could be a really nice point if differentiation between the Men's and Women's final. Men's Final is always in Sydney, but perhaps the NRLW Final could be hosted at the home of the highest ranked Finalist.

Newcastle & Townsville have both shown this year they can get solid crowds for Women’s events. I feel like Parramatta & Gold Coast would get 20K+ if they were hosting a home GF.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If they played yesterday's Women’s GF at Newcastle, they would have had 20K minimum and I reckon they could have sold it out.

I couldnt argue with that. I saw some footage on Facebook of the Knights team bus arriving in Newcastle and there were hundreds of fans cheering them off the bus chanting 'Newcastle'. Those girls have probably never experienced something like that before it looked amazing.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Could be a really nice point if differentiation between the Men's and Women's final. Men's Final is always in Sydney, but perhaps the NRLW Final could be hosted at the home of the highest ranked Finalist.

Newcastle & Townsville have both shown this year they can get solid crowds for Women’s events. I feel like Parramatta & Gold Coast would get 20K+ if they were hosting a home GF.
Totally agree with all of this. Having it lumped in with the men is a nice sentiment but it's hard to get the competing fans to pay that amount if their mens team isn't playing too.

Home GFs will grow it better, Newy would have been rocking if they hosted it on Saturday night and ratings would probably be pretty good too.

blukablu

Juniors
Have a stand-alone NRLW final. Let the team highest ranked on the ladder host it.

If the NRL needs more games to make the GF to be an all-day thing, increase the state championships to include U21's.

Iamback

Coach
Totally agree with all of this. Having it lumped in with the men is a nice sentiment but it's hard to get the competing fans to pay that amount if their mens team isn't playing too.

Home GFs will grow it better, Newy would have been rocking if they hosted it on Saturday night and ratings would probably be pretty good too.

I have been on for a while about running the comp as a stand alone summer comp.

Newcastle, Townsville places like that would great spots to host the GF. Put it on the week before NRL starts and you hope to cash in on the hype of the Mens comp aswell

APPSY

Juniors
I have been on for a while about running the comp as a stand alone summer comp.

Newcastle, Townsville places like that would great spots to host the GF. Put it on the week before NRL starts and you hope to cash in on the hype of the Mens comp aswell
Since the NRL is committed to the idea of the Las Vegas season opener running til 2028, why not have the women's comp have another season run from the 22nd of December (before chrissy for round 1 then after for round 2) til the day before the Las Vegas opener (March 2nd)? Have the games played on Friday (2 games) and Saturday (3 games); which allows for better time slots due to the heat of summer, and allows for better turn arounds for the girls.

Round 1 - Friday 22nd of December - Saturday 23rd of December
Round 2 - Friday 29th of December - Saturday 30th of December
Round 3 - Friday 5th of January - Saturday 6th of January
Round 4 - Friday 12th of January - Saturday 13th of January
Round 5 - Friday 19th of January - Saturday 20th of January
Round 6 - Friday 26th of January (Aus Day double header) - Saturday 27th of January
Round 7 - Friday 2nd of February - Saturday 3rd of February
Round 8 - Friday 9th of February - Saturday 10th of February
Round 9 - Friday 16th of February - Saturday 17th of February
Finals Week One - Saturday February 24th
NRLW GF - Saturday March 2nd (Newcastle)

NRL Round One opener - Sunday March 3rd

Then have the women's start again in late July so they have one season by themselves and one season alongside the men's. I know the issue with this is obviously the short turn around between the October finish then the December start, March finish then July start, etc. but it could help grow the game further.