What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

bazza

Immortal
Manly just had a dogshit season with like 40% of Brookie fixtures in that slot and averaged...closer to 14k than 13k at Brookie.
yes - Manly seem to have done well to rally their fans to attend home games
I am surprised at some of the relatively good crowds that they got for games that looked unexciting on paper

docbrown

Coach
Agreed, I’d say the next target should be Sydney teams averaging 20k. Obv not all can due to capacity, but building up derbies to the point that 20k in Sydney is our goal.
The thing is the Bulldogs, Eels and Rabbitohs have done it before. Tigers, Panthers and Dragons have also been close. Add the Titans and Cowboys who have done it too. That's 13 out of 17 teams. A regular 20-25k average within the next 10 years is totally achievable.

Dark Corner

Juniors
yes - Manly seem to have done well to rally their fans to attend home games
I am surprised at some of the relatively good crowds that they got for games that looked unexciting on paper
Manl'y first and last game were very exciting.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Agreed, I’d say the next target should be Sydney teams averaging 20k. Obv not all can due to capacity, but building up derbies to the point that 20k in Sydney is our goal.
It's only really manly and cronulla who would struggle

The rest just have to host one blockbuster each and they get 20k
Queens birthday / good Friday / anzac etc / Easter Monday

Could sharks v dragons at allianz work on Thursday before Easter ?

Iamback

Coach
Increased dramatically as the game went on. Easily 40000 by the end of the game. As to when and where it should be played? I’d suggest they move the season to finish later and play State of Origin during it rather than before like they did this season. The product is very good and improving. As such I pretty much agree with you.

The heat was a huge part as to the lower crowd.

20k is a realistic crowd target, GC, Newcastle or Townsville are good starting points. You want areas with limited big events to build it up

APPSY

Juniors
The heat was a huge part as to the lower crowd.

20k is a realistic crowd target, GC, Newcastle or Townsville are good starting points. You want areas with limited big events to build it up
Definitely think those 3 stadiums need a women's GF; particularly Newy. It should go back and forth each year between QLD & NSW.

Iamback

Coach
Definitely think those 3 stadiums need a women's GF; particularly Newy. It should go back and forth each year between QLD & NSW.

Townsville is riskier because of the distance but Newcastle and GC are close enough to Sydney/Brisbane for fans to make a day trip. Gives regional areas a quality event

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Build Crowds

EasterMania - Sydney - Allianz
Fri - Souths v Bulldogs
Sat - Dragons v Manly
Sun - Penrith v Sharks
Mon - Parra v Tigers

EasterMania - Gold Coast - Robina
Thurs - Canberra v Broncos
Friday - Dolphins v Warriors (Wahs appreciation match)
Saturday DH - Cowboys v Knights
Saturday DH - Titans v Storm

or something like that

Sell those packages like they used to for the final series in early 90s. Give away a car, free pizzas, mascot race, run a theme each year e.g Roman or Hawaiian. Rotate home teams. Bring out Scottie Pippin (jokes)

Should the Tigers be relegated from marquee matches until they get their shit together?

You could replace them with the Panthers on Easter Monday for a marquee clash between two Western Sydney heavyweights.

yakstorm

First Grade
Should the Tigers be relegated from marquee matches until they get their shit together?

You could replace them with the Panthers on Easter Monday for a marquee clash between two Western Sydney heavyweights.
No as that just undermines everything being built with the fixture.

Wests Tigers, despite their poor form, can still draw 28K to Easter Monday because them & the Eels have built that fixture up. It is also a fixture which hadn't been drawing amazing crowds prior to the concept.

If you make it Eels v Panthers, firstly you end up with the game being limited to CommBank & Panthers Stadium as neither want to play at Accor.

Secondly it takes away an already marquee fixture (which the derby is) from another time in the draw.

Suitman

Post Whore

That's a fair point and would maybe work, but I don't think so.
The reason I say that is because a fair bit of time has been invested in making this an Easter Monday event. It has been reasonably successful over the years, despite the lack of form from both teams.
We can't just ditch history because one team has been shite.
The Tigers will come good again eventually, and the Eels just may stay in top 8 form.
When both are top 4 teams, we may very well get back to that 50 000 + crowd again.
Tradition is important, and although this one is short lived so far, I think it has something to offer in the future.
Tbh, It's a shame it wasn't started as an Eels vs Bulldogs Easter Monday. That would have had far more potential.

Iamback

Coach

No. The game needs event games these should be regular not based on form.

Casual/Regional Tigers fans now know that they play Easter Monday, It allows them to attend even that one game a year

BlueandGold

Juniors
Build Crowds

EasterMania - Sydney - Allianz
Fri - Souths v Bulldogs
Sat - Dragons v Manly
Sun - Penrith v Sharks
Mon - Parra v Tigers

EasterMania - Gold Coast - Robina
Thurs - Canberra v Broncos
Friday - Dolphins v Warriors (Wahs appreciation match)
Saturday DH - Cowboys v Knights
Saturday DH - Titans v Storm

or something like that

Sell those packages like they used to for the final series in early 90s. Give away a car, free pizzas, mascot race, run a theme each year e.g Roman or Hawaiian. Rotate home teams. Bring out Scottie Pippin (jokes)

No way will the Eels take a home Derby to Allianz stadium.

All the way in the east, get f...ed.

Same goes for Panthers, both clubs would laugh at the suggestion.

Latest posts