What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
Where the 'f$&@' did I say anything about me wanting it played at Belmore? If you stopped and read what I said properly you would see that.

What I want has nothing to do with what I said and no bearing at all on what the bulldogs wanted, which was to choose to play at Belmore.

All the f$&@ i said was that the game will generate a large crowd (for suburban ground standards). Got that toots

Apologies, my "why would you want to play it at Belmore" wasn't actually meant to be directed at you, more in general.

beave

Coach
Most people are missing this.
The crowd attendance figures aren't the hill to die on.
Rugby league has a rich proud history and every time we tap into that we give the game and competition another dimension.
You can't buy nostalgia and history. And that is what will engage fans more broadly.
It's going to be beautiful to see. It might not get more at the ground but it will carry a lot more weight.

By all means, keep playing at antiquated shitholes whilst other clubs play out of state of the art digs.

ACE7B617-BA9A-4F7E-80C0-0EDB42A82C8F.jpeg

Leichardt deserves a major renno, it's a travesty it's been left to get to the state it's at now.

Gobsmacked

Bench
By all means, keep playing at antiquated shitholes whilst other clubs play out of state of the art digs.

View attachment 70780

Leichardt deserves a major renno, it's a travesty it's been left to get to the state it's at now.
Look man, I love the new stadiums! I also like Leichhardt, the history, the atmosphere that you won't get from a new ground. Watching a game at Leichhardt when it's full is a truly unique experience I'll always remember.
I think there's room for both.
But I wish someone would burn accor stadium to the ground. It's practical 1 day a year.

Wb1234

Referee

View attachment 70780

Dogs play at accor which is a dump

playing at belmore is probably on par

if it’s a Sunday arvo game it’ll look good packed and it’s close to tigers territory they will travel

it’s Gus way of building back the fan base

EuroNymous

Juniors
Dogs play at accor which is a dump

playing at belmore is probably on par

if it’s a Sunday arvo game it’ll look good packed and it’s close to tigers territory they will travel

it’s Gus way of building back the fan base
yep as doggies fan i love going to Belmore even with out terrible record there over going to accor

i will attending both Belmore games

214Four

Juniors

View attachment 70780

The biggest issue I have with North Queenslands new stadium is that its probably the best candidate for the worst future proof designed newly built stadium. Its has 2 major design issues that inhibit its future use and potential, its roof design and its current capacity size.

The stadium was built with an open end that could at some point in the future be built to increase its capacity. Yet Its roof design means any future extension will require large sections of the stadoums roof to be removed; increasing the time and cost of any rebuilt significantly the point where cost will potentially outway any benefit.

This could be solved with temporary seating for special events. But due to the design of the stadium, only a small number of temporary seating can be built without massive costs.

And with the stadiums capacity at 25,000, even with a multi million upgrade to the stadiums the max would only be able to increase around 4 or 5 thousand, Townsville will never get a fifa world cup game, csnt see them getting anything other than low ranked rugby WC group games and will never see a state of origin unless covid 30 hits us..

But at least u have a nice home ground. Same can't be said with the tigers.. The biggest problem with the tigers is that we haven't settled ourselves down into 1 or two locations. I couldn't understand their logic in tearing down concord and spending all that money downgrading it into the training ground. Why didn't they set up concord as a proper home ground. They could've torn down and rebuilt the western stand and included the performance centre and added some media facilities into it, then kept the eastern stand with minor upgrades. With the savings made tearing down the eastern stand it wouldn't have cost much more. More than likely it would've been cheaper. The tigers then could've played at concord and Campbelltown. With both stadiums close to trains and with parking.

The biggest issue I have with North Queenslands new stadium is that its probably the best candidate for the worst future proof designed newly built stadium. Its has 2 major design issues that inhibit its future use and potential, its roof design and its current capacity size.

The stadium was built with an open end that could at some point in the future be built to increase its capacity. Yet Its roof design means any future extension will require large sections of the stadoums roof to be removed; increasing the time and cost of any rebuilt significantly the point where cost will potentially outway any benefit.

This could be solved with temporary seating for special events. But due to the design of the stadium, only a small number of temporary seating can be built without massive costs.

And with the stadiums capacity at 25,000, even with a multi million upgrade to the stadiums the max would only be able to increase around 4 or 5 thousand, Townsville will never get a fifa world cup game, csnt see them getting anything other than low ranked rugby WC group games and will never see a state of origin unless covid 30 hits us..

But at least u have a nice home ground. Same can't be said with the tigers.. The biggest problem with the tigers is that we haven't settled ourselves down into 1 or two locations. I couldn't understand their logic in tearing down concord and spending all that money downgrading it into the training ground. Why didn't they set up concord as a proper home ground. They could've torn down and rebuilt the western stand and included the performance centre and added some media facilities into it, then kept the eastern stand with minor upgrades. With the savings made tearing down the eastern stand it wouldn't have cost much more. More than likely it would've been cheaper. The tigers then could've played at concord and Campbelltown. With both stadiums close to trains and with parking.

Considering the re-design of Concord Oval by Canada Bay Council, you would not play NRL games there ever. It only has a capacity now for 5,000 people. It is the Wests tigers Training base with its Centre of Excellence, but the actual stadium itself is now more designed for local sporting groups to play games at than for it to host games from big professional sports.

Gobsmacked

Bench

By the time NQ needs a bigger stadium, it will need a new stadium.

Wb1234

Referee
Considering the re-design of Concord Oval by Canada Bay Council, you would not play NRL games there ever. It only has a capacity now for 5,000 people. It is the Wests tigers Training base with its Centre of Excellence, but the actual stadium itself is now more designed for local sporting groups to play games at than for it to host games from big professional sports.
Lmao I’m actually down the street from there now

214Four

Juniors
I'm not talking about ite capacity with the re build now. I meant was if I was in charge i would've decided to make concord the tigers home ground and so the rebuild wouldn't have concluded with the same small capacity it has now. Before its demolishing, concord had 21,000 seats. If they rebuilt the western side with seating included in the upgrade and kept the eastern stand, i dunno how a 18,000 to 20,000 seat stadium could not have been achieved

214Four

Juniors
On top of that. This would also have been a nice boutique stadium with room for a future upgrade with room on the northern end.

Iamback

Coach
Had hoped it would be a bit higher considering this was last year's beaten finalist, at home, against a perennial contender on a clear evening. Still, a respectable turnout, and the biggest opening game crowd in 3 years, since the Eels opened with 21,363 vs the Bulldogs at Commbank in 2020.

Guess there's a fair bit on at the moment with plenty of people forking out for Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Snoop Dogg and Backstreet Boys concerts over consecutive weekends, along with the cost of living pressures people are currently under.

You seen the prices Parra are charging? lots of 15-20k crowds this season

beave

Coach

Tvl has been stagnate population wise for 15 years due to various reasons, by the time it needs a major extension it will probably need a new stadium. Its capacity is fine, if it was too low, tomorrows game would be sold out already, IMO 25k was bang on.

If they did indeed wanted to do a 5k seat extension, i can see it being done easily enough without the need to do anything to the current roofline, i think they would just put a 2nd tier in the the northern end and leave it un-covered, much like the origin 2 years ago with the temp seating. The temp seating was not efficient so it only put the capacity up 3k but if it was a proper stand I can't see why it couldn't be 5k. The current design was done to let the breeze in and have city views, closing it in would be pretty shit for the early and september games so it would need to be considered.

You have to remember with the roof design, it has to be substantial and in a way to withstand cyclones. A simple roof design might be cheaper but the design they chose was not only for the aesthetics but it had JCU input for wind survival.

On soccer, after what went down with the NQ Fury and the FFA there is a pretty sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths, I don't think people actually care that there wouldn't be any FIFA WC games, or even Union if you look at the crowd last weekend for the Reds (didn't even crack 9k). League is king up there (bless my home regions cotton socks).

Last edited:

214Four

Juniors
I do like how North queensland stadiums design encorporated more flair than Parramatta. I like it's arsenal like wavy top tier. They were also smarter with how North Queenslands Western side is separated from the rest of the general administration. Parramatta didn't do this and so there are some general adminison seats next to the corporate and media boxes with poor and restricted viewing. Parra has the same problem around its 2 video screens (but they are atleaet not difficult to fix)

Perth Red

Post Whore
You seen the prices Parra are charging? lots of 15-20k crowds this season
You can get a GA membership with free child membership for $13 a game! I'm not buying the price argument when seats are that cheaply available.

You can get same seats as shown for $30 a game as gold member.
Moral of the story, become a member!!

Last edited:

Latest posts