What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

blukablu

Juniors
200k is out of reach but 190k for this round is a shoe in. Amazing season from the Dolphins & Broncos crowd wise. I personally think Brisbane could easily support more NRL sides.
Definitely though not any time soon without canabilising support for both teams.

Just a gut feeling but I don't think many Broncos fans switched to the Dolphins, most of their supporters seem to be from the anti-Broncos crowd and people who followed their parent's/grandparents' Sydney-based teams.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Just a gut feeling but I don't think many Broncos fans switched to the Dolphins, most of their supporter seem to be from the anti-Broncos crowd and people who followed their parent's/grandparents' Sydney-based teams.
The numbers seem to support your gut reaction. The Broncos have had one of their strongest seasons KPI wise
Membership, crowds, TV audiences, merchandise sales, etc, have all been significantly up and a number of the club's records have been broken.

It would indicate either that the volume of supporters moving from the Broncos to Dolphins (we know there were a few) was either minimal or if it was significant, was made up predominantly less engaged Broncos fans.

Marlins

Juniors
Definitely though not any time soon without canabilising support for both teams.

Just a gut feeling but I don't think many Broncos fans switched to the Dolphins, most of their supporters seem to be from the anti-Broncos crowd and people who followed their parent's/grandparents' Sydney-based teams.
I don’t think the anti broncos fans make up much of the Dolphins support. It’s more to the fact that they’ve been a massive Brisbane club for over 50+ years with 1000’s of junior & Senior players playing for the club. I really do think people underestimate the strength and support of the Qcup Brisbane Rugby League Clubs. So much history dating back a long time.

blukablu

Juniors
I don’t think the anti broncos fans make up much of the Dolphins support. It’s more to the fact that they’ve been a massive Brisbane club for over 50+ years with 1000’s of junior & Senior players playing for the club. I really do think people underestimate the strength and support of the Qcup Brisbane Rugby League Clubs. So much history dating back a long time.

The supporters of BRL/Qcup are the anti-Broncos crowd. Anybody who was a massive BRL fan (or the children of them) never supported the Broncos.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hopefully, when the Sunshine Coast stadium gets it's upgrade to 16-20k they have either a 9-3 or 10-2 split between Suncorp and Sunny Coast.

Dolphin stadium only for trials and NRLW games.
I think commercial realities will dictate 10 or 11 games will be at Suncorp. You can't turn down the sort of money that those crowds and corporate opportunities bring in

APPSY

Juniors
Dragons finish the season with crowd averages of:

All Home: 11,867 (12 Games)
Wollongong: 11,748 (7 Games)
Kogarah: 12,033 (5 Games)
This is their third lowest average in history exluding 20' and 21' due to COVID.

EDIT - as a merger.

Last edited:

Marlins

Juniors
Hopefully, when the Sunshine Coast stadium gets it's upgrade to 16-20k they have either a 9-3 or 10-2 split between Suncorp and Sunny Coast.

Dolphin stadium only for trials and NRLW gam

The supporters of BRL/Qcup are the anti-Broncos crowd. Anybody who was a massive BRL fan (or the children of them) never supported the Broncos.
Most BRL/Qcup sides won’t support the dolphins, even if they hate the Broncos.
My point is the Dolphins have a ready made fan base waiting in the wings. And imo you could replicate what the Dolphins have a achieved Memebers/Crowd wise with more BRL/QCup sides.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think commercial realities will dictate 10 or 11 games will be at Suncorp. You can't turn down the sort of money that those crowds and corporate opportunities bring in
There will be some decent money floating around for NRL teams to take matches to the Sunshine Coast right up to the 2030 season at least.

QGov wants the upgraded venue being used in the lead up to the Olympic games and has pretty much budgeted for 4 games a year at the venue (including trials)

I imagine the Dolphins will want to lock in as many of those as they can, especially as the stadium grows.