What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final Panthers vs Broncos

Kilkenny

Coach
Basically if Sorro doesnt get back into the middle we will be relying on Henry or someone even younger to play a pretty important role. Its going to be interesting to see how Ivan handles it.
I think 2024 will be breakout season for Liam Henry, much like Lindsay Smith this year. Really good kid, huge motor, will fit into our style no problems.

Kilkenny

Coach
I read suggestions earlier in the thread about fans leaving soon after we fell 16 behind. I must say I didn’t see anyone leaving, certainly not in significant numbers anyway.

I said to my wife, who was pretty distraught at 22-6, we just need to get back in the grind and be next score. I certainly didn’t feel the game was gone with so long left on the clock.

Kilkenny

Coach
Only just saw the Payne Haas hip drop, it was a bad one, forgetting the fact it wasnt acted upon during the game, definitely worthy of more than a fine.

soc123_au

Staff member
If not for Cleary's spectacular final 20 minutes of the game, had Penith still won, I thought Moses Leota had been the best Panthers player on the paddock myself (as I said in the game spoilers forum). He kept playing hard in attack and defence whilst he was on the field. JFH was good, but I thought Leota overshadowed him.

On an unrelated note, thought this worth sharing, for those who haven't aleady read/seen it -

(Sorry I've used up my only free article where I'm currently at, so I can't access it to post the text)
I agree, if Cleary's 20 minutes hadn't been something that will go down as one of the GOAT performances Leota would have been next up imo.

Whino

Bench
Cogger exceeded my expectations this year. After less than successful stints at Newcastle and the Bulldogs I was a little concerned.
He proved me wrong and I can't remember him ever letting us down.
It just goes to show having great structures at the club,and being around class players can do wonders for those willing to listen and try.

soc123_au

Staff member
Cogger exceeded my expectations this year. After less than successful stints at Newcastle and the Bulldogs I was a little concerned.
He proved me wrong and I can't remember him ever letting us down.
It just goes to show having great structures at the club,and being around class players can do wonders for those willing to listen and try.
I think Cogger was perfect in his role, couldn't have done much better. Not a knock on O'Sullivan, but Jack was even better in that role I believe.

Whino

Bench
I think Cogger was perfect in his role, couldn't have done much better. Not a knock on O'Sullivan, but Jack was even better in that role I believe.

He did well.
Reading in the paper this morning it was interesting to hear his thoughts about how he adjusted his role. After being a spectator for 50 minutes he said he saw things he could exploit. Shows he has a good footy brain.
I wish him well with his 2nd stint with Newcastle.

Kilkenny

Coach
It was a calculated risk to go into the GF with two players who clearly were hampered by there injuries. It all worked out in the end, just.

Nathan won us the game, in his breathtaking 17-18 minute masterclass, so deserving of his Clive Churchill medal.

There were some other very notable performances i don’t need to list them it’s all been said.

The Kayln Pongas and Reece Walsh players obviously attract the media hype given their explosiveness, rightfully so, but the GF was just another reminder of how valuable Dylan Edwards is to our team. His work rate, communication and organisation skills are second to none. The work that he does, just makes life that little
easier for our middle forwards.

I agree, if Cleary's 20 minutes hadn't been something that will go down as one of the GOAT performances Leota would have been next up imo.

Cleary said afterwards he had missed key tackles and made other mistakes before the comeback.

Some purists might hold those errors against him.

I don’t, because once he found his way. he pounded the broncos into the dust.

The close ups on Telly showed he was a man possessed.

He was playing at a different level to all other players on the field.

Future immortal, gee he must be on his way.

Kilkenny

Coach
Cleary said afterwards he had missed key tackles and made other mistakes before the comeback.

Some purists might hold those errors against him.

I don’t, because once he found his way. he pounded the broncos into the dust.

The close ups on Telly showed he was a man possessed.

He was playing at a different level to all other players on the field.

Future immortal, gee he must be on his way.
In addition, he took a couple of knocks in the first half, impacting his knee.

Iamback

Coach
It was a calculated risk to go into the GF with two players who clearly were hampered by there injuries. It all worked out in the end, just.

Nathan won us the game, in his breathtaking 17-18 minute masterclass, so deserving of his Clive Churchill medal.

There were some other very notable performances i don’t need to list them it’s all been said.

The Kayln Pongas and Reece Walsh players obviously attract the media hype given their explosiveness, rightfully so, but the GF was just another reminder of how valuable Dylan Edwards is to our team. His work rate, communication and organisation skills are second to none. The work that he does, just makes life that little
easier for our middle forwards.

You had to take the risk, They weren't the reason we fell behind. Playing too conservative was. We stepped up when we needed too atleast

Ex panther junior at work praised Nates catch with his foot out and replicated it here at the office.

Thought that was one of the key moments.

He also said:

“ Yeah, near the end he was tuned in for the little one percenters. That’s how you can tell he’s focused and fully immersed”

Pumpkin

Juniors
I don't know why these short dropouts and fancy dropouts have crept into the game. Just boot the ball down field as far as you can.
As good as Cleary was, Reynolds was poor. Trying all these fancy dropouts cost Brisbane the match in my opinion.

I don't know why these short dropouts and fancy dropouts have crept into the game. Just boot the ball down field as far as you can.
As good as Cleary was, Reynolds was poor. Trying all these fancy dropouts cost Brisbane the match in my opinion.
Awesome point.

I think Renno was instructed by Kevvie to do it and he had no say.

It is a low percentage play v the Panthers compared to other teams.

Because the Panthers are very fit and are competent at open play and aware.

Kenny was my favourite try, his positioning was perfect for some chaos and scrimmage, it wasn’t a mistake.

What surprised him and everyone else was the ease in which he got the ball and then almost effortlessly scored.

He’d done the hard work earlier positioning.

By virtue of the close scoreline this silly project ultimately cost the Broncs the game.

This is a grand final, everyone is at the extra high sensitivity and should be risk averse.

Almost a bit disrespectful to try that against the panthers and boy, they learned their lesson.

There’s risk and then there’s risk.

Kevvie might have been sending a message out as to unorthodox play and to try to spook the panthers.

But in the danger zone was either brave or stupid. We know the answer.

Kev should have told his other head to shut up!

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Awesome point.

I think Renno was instructed by Kevvie to do it and he had no say.

It is a low percentage play v the Panthers compared to other teams.

Because the Panthers are very fit and are competent at open play and aware.

Kenny was my favourite try, his positioning was perfect for some chaos and scrimmage, it wasn’t a mistake.

What surprised him and everyone else was the ease in which he got the ball and then almost effortlessly scored.

He’d done the hard work earlier positioning.

By virtue of the close scoreline this silly project ultimately cost the Broncs the game.

This is a grand final, everyone is at the extra high sensitivity and should be risk averse.

Almost a bit disrespectful to try that against the panthers and boy, it really hurt them.

There’s risk and then there’s risk.
I think sometimes we read into things too much.

So often the short restarts pay off.

It didn’t pay off for the Broncos on the weekend but there is a fine line.

If I was a coach, I would go long every time and back your defence.

I think sometimes we read into things too much.

So often the short restarts pay off.

It didn’t pay off for the Broncos on the weekend but there is a fine line.

If I was a coach, I would go long every time and back your defence.
I would do the same as you suggest, especially in a grand final.

But Kevvie needs to accept it was dangerous and apocalyptic.

The score line was close. Kenny mattered a lot. It was a wonderful try.

I don’t hate Kevvie, I like him, but it was mind blowingly foolish.

Kilkenny

Coach
I would do the same as you suggest, especially in a grand final.

But Kevvie needs to accept it was dangerous and apocalyptic.

The score line was close. Kenny mattered a lot. It was a wonderful try.

I don’t hate Kevvie, I like him, but it was mind blowingly foolish.
The decision to go for the short drop out is part of the overall game plan, so definitely the decision lies with Kevin.

I know it comes off frequently, risk and reward, but personally get the ball on the half way with a good chase.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Thanks to the people who commented on my post.

It's difficult to break it down because I haven't watched a replay of the match, but I'll try.

Kenny scores off a short dropout. There's 6 points. One didn't go 10 metres, there's another 2 points. Cleary catches one with a foot over the sideline. Not sure if Penrith scored as a result of that, but if they did, another 6 points.