What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final Panthers vs Broncos

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m kind of live in the moment kind of guy so until this afternoon haven't watched a full replay. Certainly enjoyed the five minute highlight reel a few times but not the full game. Wife and eldest have watched so many full replays I’ve lost count.

I just watched the last 22 minutes in full. So much of being at the game was a blur, it just went so quickly.

I really enjoyed watching the last 22 minutes, we just did what the Panthers do, so much pressure, non stop, yes Cleary was the match winner, but it was a team effort. He couldn’t have done what he did without his 16 team mates.

Abacus

Juniors
TBH I love spencer and his impact but he still has some things in his game that hurt us, all of his impact is with metres and our props are mostly there for defence. Last two games Spencer was slow to marker against storm and which led to harry grant linebreak that would've been a try if cleary didnt make a play. Then gave away a silly penalty that led to broncs first try. Again I love his impact with the ball but I got nervous for our defence when he comes on sometimes. If we had two Lindsay smiths coming off the bench im not we miss spencers impact that much. At our best we arent a team that needs impact, we grind teams down across 80 minutes.
Thank f**k. I thought I was the only one.

Pumpkin

Juniors
I'm not a Penrith supporter but I must say, I have a real soft spot for them. There's so many vastly different personalities, but somehow, they all truely seem to get along so well. It's heart warming. I get annoyed when Luai says everyone hates me etc. I like him. If anything, some of his onfield antics strike me as comical. He strikes me as a decent person. If I was him, I'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay at Penrith. A few hundred thousand dollars wouldn't mean anything to me if I was playing for St George or Canterbury and disappearing into obscurity and depression.

I’m kind of live in the moment kind of guy so until this afternoon haven't watched a full replay. Certainly enjoyed the five minute highlight reel a few times but not the full game. Wife and eldest have watched so many full replays I’ve lost count.

I just watched the last 22 minutes in full. So much of being at the game was a blur, it just went so quickly.

I really enjoyed watching the last 22 minutes, we just did what the Panthers do, so much pressure, non stop, yes Cleary was the match winner, but it was a team effort. He couldn’t have done what he did without his 16 team mates.

Yeah, and the truth be told those team mates couldn’t have been there without you supporters and staff etc.

It’s literally thousands of people, holding up the club who is holding up the side.

I’ve been very impressed with Cleary and he is deserved cc winner.

But objectively, given the closeness of the scoreline, it was a lot of little efforts and footy awareness that won the day by all the players. Some did more things, but everyone had skin in the game defending, hit ups, not being stood over etc.

The broncos gave away that penalty kick and that was the difference too.

So it could be argued with the try restart and the penalty, that’s 8 points they chucked away from their own poor decision making processes, discipline and things they could control.

I really didn’t panic, as a connoisseur of smug, there was too much time left.

The mam breaks were all panther errors, not some kind of reborn Clive Churchill.

Too many points ahead for comfort sure, but I never lost hope.

Rapid recovery, emotionally it was truly f**king awesome. What a dish to serve up to be faithful. Unbelievable!

I’ve watched he replay highlights about 4 times. I love that shot of the player who just dives on top on the huddle. Very cute.

And after the game, over the top sheer joy. Everyone running in.

It wasn’t just the win, it was the way it was won.

You can’t ask for more.

Smug just keeps on delivering!

Last edited:
And tactically Ivan stomped all over Kevvie. As much a victory for him than any player.

Sublime, ahead of the curve in every way.

The standard is so high now.

I'm not a Penrith supporter but I must say, I have a real soft spot for them. There's so many vastly different personalities, but somehow, they all truely seem to get along so well. It's heart warming. I get annoyed when Luai says everyone hates me etc. I like him. If anything, some of his onfield antics strike me as comical. He strikes me as a decent person. If I was him, I'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay at Penrith. A few hundred thousand dollars wouldn't mean anything to me if I was playing for St George or Canterbury and disappearing into obscurity and depression.
It’s a good club to have an interest in.

They’d only just won the gf and within the minute someone was discussing prop rotations for next year. They can get very technical. Roster matters are sacred and can lead to very robust discussions.

Other smuggy formers are still partying have yet to make it back on-forum.

A broad church.

Many are surprisingly popular when they visit other forums.

If your heart is of the good will, they will always welcome you.

Generally speaking us foreigners visiting here are pretty friendly towards each other enjoying the smug.

Sit back and suck in the good vibes.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Watching various YT videos, I noticed it's now the second time John Cartwright has been the assistant coach of the losing side against us.

I noticed that too. Also Cartwight had the walkie talky like Ivan did.

Kevvie just sat there basically. Is Kevvie actually coaching or is it done by his assistants. Like when he 'coached origin' ?

InSucToSivE

Juniors
Poor discipline is why Spencer was let go IMHO. We saw it again in this game just before half time with the holding down penalty.
I agree. Same thing throughout the season, get some momentum, he gives away a penalty.
The Pinnacle awaits, Trent Robinson doesn't appear to have the tolerance to nurture players.

Due to the closeness of scores, there’s an argument that Renno played a central role in the bitter defeat.

Failing to execute that line drop out properly.

He’s one of the best players in the game and the Broncos wouldn’t have made the gf without him.

But he should have taken a lot more care I suppose.

But of course, these short kick offs were a nonsense and he had no choice.

Kevvie is guilty as charged.

It fits in with my theory that the Broncos should not have played the “gay abandon” and frolicking game.

They took you too lightly. Rush of blood to the head.

Threw caution to the wind, twigged the Tigers tale once too often.

They simply forgot they were playing smug.

And after the game, I remain disappointed Rennos thoughts did not extend to the better side with more immediacy. Stolen valour Renno.

Not a hanging offence, but i think he should write a letter apologising to the Panthers for this wayward albeit uncharacteristic omission.

Last edited:

Latest posts