What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final Panthers vs Broncos

Whino

Bench
So the only key player we may lose at the end of 2024 is Jerome Luai?

Depends on your definition of key.
The following are off contract end of 2024.

Paul Alamoti, Matthew Eisenhuth, Luke Garner, Zac Hosking, Mitch Kenny, Daine Laurie, Ativalu Lisati, Jarome Luai, Taylan May, Tyrone Peachey, Sunia Turuva

11 players off contract.
I have heard the Tigers will be going hard for Turuva come Nov 1.

Goonji

Juniors
Depends on your definition of key.
The following are off contract end of 2024.

Paul Alamoti, Matthew Eisenhuth, Luke Garner, Zac Hosking, Mitch Kenny, Daine Laurie, Ativalu Lisati, Jarome Luai, Taylan May, Tyrone Peachey, Sunia Turuva

11 players off contract.
I have heard the Tigers will be going hard for Turuva come Nov 1.
Luai, Kenny, May, Turuva are definitely keepers..

I agree, I think we are going to be contenders for the foreseeable future.

This year’s trophy was won on the back of our professionalism as a team. The old saying of Master and apprentice keeps popping into my mind when I think of this group.

We faced a much harder road this year, but when it came to the big games the focus and execution was miles ahead of most other clubs.

All our big names played a part individually but they have also shown they know how to teach and guide new players into bringing their best to the team. That’s our biggest strength.

We keep losing players but the next one moves into the team and look like world beaters on the back of amazing training and guidance.

The leadership of Ivan as well as Yeo, Nath, Edwards, Fish, To’o etc etc is why we will continue to be a force.

We are the Masters, we will welcome a couple more apprentices into the team but they will do their job and be flying in no time under the guidance of our leaders.
Yeah, that’s how I see it.

But the smuggy University -it is not a static skill set, the teaching and transmission of knowledge has to continually evolve and adjust.

This keeping ahead of the curve, ensuring most of theplayers realise their potential, recruitment and game plans, this is all key.

And we’ve learned that players and coaching staff are disposable.

The evolving system takes care of business.

Iamback

Coach
None of them will be filling the lenui role.

Im not even 100% convinced we will go down the path of filling his role.

He got scrap mins this year.

Yes he was hugely impactful but you could argue games were almost done with or without him.

I think we will just evolve like we did without all the other loses.

So who is going to fill Spencer's role then?

Iamback

Coach
We don't need a centre

Exactly. The signing made no sense for us and for the player as a backup centre.

May, McLean, Cole probably even Peachey and Garner would be in front of him.

we paid $200k for him, he could of walked into the Dragons. Cowboys were after him so there is a plan for him

murraymob

Coach
None of them are close to bringing what Spencer brought. I think Hosking comes in for a straight swap but they are going to get options

The club never commented on the signing, There was nothing about potential positions but I doubt he knocked back other options to come here with no path to FG
But we all thought no one could bring what api and kikau brought we adjusted we will again 4 peat coming

hindy111

Post Whore
But we all thought no one could bring what api and kikau brought we adjusted we will again 4 peat coming

It's possible. Probably need a junior or two to pop up and make a name. Crighton is a huge loss. But one that can be overcome.
Plus the sides below have to improve. Their was a huge difference between the two grand final sides and everyone else

martielang

Bench
Exactly. The signing made no sense for us and for the player as a backup centre.

May, McLean, Cole probably even Peachey and Garner would be in front of him.

we paid $200k for him, he could of walked into the Dragons. Cowboys were after him so there is a plan for him

Not sure he’s behind any of them tbh. None of them are locks. I’m sure he’s backing himself to have a good pre-season and work his way into the team.

Does anyone really think Critter will be the same player elsewhere?

Let the record show that except for API and Dane, most ex smug have looked like lost souls. Dane in particular will come back strong and hopefully play first grade if he’s lucky.

Those Bulldogs in particular, you’d think with Ciraldo, the mimicking would have worked. But it’s been a bloodbath

You can’t beat the Penrith system.

Smug is pristine and whole.

Generally once a player leaves, their career looks to be all but over.

On the balance say an immediate 33% loss of skill, ability and competence. Then the de-ivanisation sets in and they pick up bad habits and ideas from f**ked up second rate coaches.

They get bombarded with bad game plans, festering and useless teammates and lose the broader Penrith community family.

To think some of them actually leave deliberately is mind blowing.

This is the greatest era in Panther history, pity the weak minded bell-ends who stuff their pockets with cash instead of filling their hearts with honour.

API excluded because he’s saving our Tigers lives. A mercy mission. We all love him to death. He’s a hero, but I’m glad you’ve managed without him. Improved in some ways too imho.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Not sure he’s behind any of them tbh. None of them are locks. I’m sure he’s backing himself to have a good pre-season and work his way into the team.

None are locks but Ivan knows what all of them can do. For all of Peachey's faults he wasn't horrible in defence.

So I don't see any reason why those who played centre this year would start behind him

It's possible. Probably need a junior or two to pop up and make a name. Crighton is a huge loss. But one that can be overcome.
Plus the sides below have to improve. Their was a huge difference between the two grand final sides and everyone else
I think it’s probable, not possible.

The catchment is dripping with talent, spoilt for choice.

There’s a pipeline, plenty of supply left. A lot of good juniors leave because it’s too hard to breakthrough into smug world.

Thats the gold standard for these youngsters.

Play with the best, play for the panthers.

Last edited:

Port Panther

Juniors

Latest posts