What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would have been nice if they had come up with a really iconic design for year 1 that becomes their main stay every year. It feels like another Titans where most people would have a hard job describing what their jersey brand actually is. The invention of subIimation has sadly taken away from the simplicity of brand design.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
It was quite a poor washed out photo. Maybe they should have released an image of a couple of players wearing the full kit. Ie
- home
- away
- heritage

That way there is a bit for everyone and people won't rag on the one they dislike. It hasn't gone down very well but people will whinge no matter what.

For me the disappointing aspect is so many blue sponsors. Not as bad as Newcastle, but that's a low bar.

Also - is it possible to get a kids jersey in adult sizes? They don't have the gambling ad.

Nuke

Staff member
It was quite a poor washed out photo. Maybe they should have released an image of a couple of players wearing the full kit. Ie
- home
- away
- heritage

That way there is a bit for everyone and people won't rag on the one they dislike. It hasn't gone down very well but people will whinge no matter what.

For me the disappointing aspect is so many blue sponsors. Not as bad as Newcastle, but that's a low bar.

Also - is it possible to get a kids jersey in adult sizes? They don't have the gambling ad.
Probably Best & Less might be worth a look. I've seen sponsorless jerseys there in years past.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Yep, i bought my Dragons jersey from Best and Less, much nicer without all the sponsorships. i hate sponsorships on jerseys.

Also, as someone else said earlier, would've been better if The Dolphins had chosen their colors as red, dark gray, and white....dark gray like actual dolphins are colored and would've been a unique color set in top flight Australian sports teams.

Muted Red/Gold is just too bland and not "strong" nor induces one to want to wear such casually. Like the AFL Suns, awful.

The red and gold need to be dark and deep otherwise.

flippikat

Bench
Verging on beige? Surely the light is playing a part, but this jersey wouldn't have looked out of place in Richie Benaud's wardrobe.

Metallic gold rarely reads as such when sublimated. See how the neck tape compares with the front of the collar. Best to keep it as a trim on a jersey.

Charcoal grey would have been a no-brainer.
Yeah, on closer inspection, I can see the difference between the neck tape and the jersey color :(

It's such a hard shade to pin down - depending on lighting & photography it could look gold, cream, beige or neither of those. At least charcoal grey would be less ambiguous & shade-shifting!

Yep, i bought my Dragons jersey from Best and Less, much nicer without all the sponsorships. i hate sponsorships on jerseys.

Also, as someone else said earlier, would've been better if The Dolphins had chosen their colors as red, dark gray, and white....dark gray like actual dolphins are colored and would've been a unique color set in top flight Australian sports teams.

Muted Red/Gold is just too bland and not "strong" nor induces one to want to wear such casually. Like the AFL Suns, awful.

The red and gold need to be dark and deep otherwise.
Yeh red and gold doesn’t feel very aquatic. Should’ve gone for at least one major cool colour like the Miami acqua or is that too close to Tits teal?

GAZF

First Grade
Yeah, on closer inspection, I can see the difference between the neck tape and the jersey color :(

It's such a hard shade to pin down - depending on lighting & photography it could look gold, cream, beige or neither of those. At least charcoal grey would be less ambiguous & shade-shifting!
The metallic texture either has to come from "metallic" elements in a dye or thread/substrate. You can fake it by sublimating a gradient, but it looks bad on large areas like this jersey.

A cooler grey as a tertiary to red/white would have been a point of differentiation from their major local rival, and evokes a dolphin like has been mentioned already.

I don't think a qld team has put out an identity without some form of yellow/gold since the original Giants. Is there some sort of state enforced mandate that I'm not aware of?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh red and gold doesn’t feel very aquatic. Should’ve gone for at least one major cool colour like the Miami acqua or is that too close to Tits teal?
Problem with being a traditional club with traditional colours. I mean come on why wouldn't you have red and gold for a club called Dolphins? lol

Ideally they'd have gone Miami rip off or at least a nod to a Dolphin and gone teal and Silver. But hey Redcliffe by another name.

I suppose at least its not another blue in NRL which is something!

Problem with being a traditional club with traditional colours. I mean come on why wouldn't you have red and gold for a club called Dolphins? lol

Ideally they'd have gone Miami rip off or at least a nod to a Dolphin and gone teal and Silver. But hey Redcliffe by another name.

I suppose at least its not another blue in NRL which is something!
Yeh they’re stuck with the colours, I know but red and gold are just too close to Broncos’ maroon and gold for me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The metallic texture either has to come from "metallic" elements in a dye or thread/substrate. You can fake it by sublimating a gradient, but it looks bad on large areas like this jersey.

A cooler grey as a tertiary to red/white would have been a point of differentiation from their major local rival, and evokes a dolphin like has been mentioned already.

I don't think a qld team has put out an identity without some form of yellow/gold since the original Giants. Is there some sort of state enforced mandate that I'm not aware of?
Some good examples of where gold can look good, or terrible depending on how its created

Nuke

Staff member
Catalans did a couple of brilliant metallic-looking jerseys in, I think it was, 2016.

The gold used by 'The' is roughly the shade I was hoping the Perth team (whether they be Pirates, Reds, or something else) would utilise in the future. Gold and black with a touch of red as the three colours.

Seems to suit teams in the Americas more. Like the Arsenal approach though.
Agreed, also like the Pumas away. Same colours yet look at the shit the Crushers came out with. Although tbf to them, this modern, satin-like fabric we now see wasn’t available at the time which a genuine gold tone needs.

Reflector

Juniors
It would have been nice if they had come up with a really iconic design for year 1 that becomes their main stay every year. It feels like another Titans where most people would have a hard job describing what their jersey brand actually is. The invention of subIimation has sadly taken away from the simplicity of brand design.
The really iconic design is the heritage one they'd already released.

Interested to see what their alternate is going to be, but as for the main jersey I don't mind it from a purely design perspective. The red is bold with the gold a complimentary secondary colour. The application of the colours isn't too complex, watching the team in action (especially from a distance) you should be able to pick out who's playing straight away and they've achieved this. In the same way you see bright green and know it's Canberra, purple is the Storm and yellow is Parra, that bright red will become iconic with the Dolphins in short time.

My biggest gripe is with the blue sponsors. Pity they couldn't get major sponsorship from one of the major fast food chains like Macca's or KFC as it would've complimented their colours perfectly.

Latest posts