What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

mongoose

Coach
Nah they should have been the Crocodiles (Crocs)

And no the basketball team wasn't called the Crocs at the time (they were the Suns).

The word is that the local Townsville Union side was called the Crocs, and objected that that name being used but frankly who gives a flying f**k, throw them a few bucks.
Crocs would have been good and very NQ. Stockman is just the Australian term for Cowboy but its more a central QLD thing than North.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I agree with what you are saying with the red/gold but it's nearly saying to fix it they should change to Broncos colours. It's already far too close as it is.

The shade of red Redcliffe have used for years is great, no idea why they changed it. White seems to have always been in their plans, but they should never have picked gold as the third colour. Red/white/black, red/white/grey were much better options.

The gear is hideous, something about the shade of red is so amateur, real Gold Coast Suns vibes (Dolphins are giving them a run for the worst sporting branding in Australia). Classic are also by far the worst apparel makers which makes it worse. I've watched their recent Instagram posts and it looks like a local junior team training.
As long as a little thought is put into it, blood red and metallic gold shouldn't clash with maroon and yellow gold. Burgundy on the hand probably would.

I also doubt that they've actually changed from their traditional red, or at least it's not an intentional or significant change.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
On the latest episode of the ‘ Aussie Jersey Watch’ podcast, one of the hosts mentioned that he’s heard that the Sharks home jersey for 2023 will be blue with a white chevron, like the original 1967 design/2017 heritage

MugaB

Coach
On the latest episode of the ‘ Aussie Jersey Watch’ podcast, one of the hosts mentioned that he’s heard that the Sharks home jersey for 2023 will be blue with a white chevron, like the original 1967 design/2017 heritage
You'd think they would only have that as the heritage... i saw the normal hoop design last week in a pic for a sponsor with nicho, some pages back

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's honestly amazing how the Dolphins have manged to take red and gold, one of the best colour combos on the planet, and make it so ugly.

Their problem is that the shades are way off. Changing the shade of gold to a darker shade like old gold or brilliant gold would go a long way to fixing their problems. Moving from a bright red to blood red, or maybe something even darker like burgundy, would make the gold pop even more and look amazing as well.

They should also look to either replace white with a dark grey or black in their colour scheme, both of which go much better with gold than white, or use the white much more sparingly in their kit.

They also need to lower the ratio of gold to red on their home jersey as well, and explore using materials that actually give a metallic effect as well.
The odd thing is I'm wearing the heritage jersey right now, and the gold on it is old gold. When the team was announced they specifically said the third colour was old gold, supposedly meant to be an accent colour only to the primary club colours of red and white. Why they changed their minds and made gold the second colour and made it a beige shade instead of old gold is beyond me. The jersey should have the gold and white switched, in my opinion. Old gold chevrons dividing the red from the white would have looked much better.

beave

Coach
Nah they should have been the Crocodiles (Crocs)

And no the basketball team wasn't called the Crocs at the time (they were the Suns).

The word is that the local Townsville Union side was called the Crocs, and objected that that name being used but frankly who gives a flying f**k, throw them a few bucks.

Should have been the Marlins........

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, there's a lot of intricate bits going on in that 'COWBOYS' text with the blue, white, black, and grey. That logo with a simplified version of the text (and removing that 90's style Publisher 'word art' shadow) can / would look brilliant.
Okay, this was just a very quick mockup, but it's pretty much what I was talking about. Simplifying the NQ Cowboys logo by reverting to a similar version of the original 1995 logo, cleaning up the text, and those simultaneously make the logo more along the lines of the clean, modern, social media friendly logos that have engulfed the NRL, and Australian sport in general.

Maybe include '1995' in there somewhere, as the year of establishment is also popular these days, and I think NQ would be close to having their logo!

Attachments

• NQC alternate idea.jpg
    NQC alternate idea.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 34

beave

Coach
Okay, this was just a very quick mockup, but it's pretty much what I was talking about. Simplifying the NQ Cowboys logo by reverting to a similar version of the original 1995 logo, cleaning up the text, and those simultaneously make the logo more along the lines of the clean, modern, social media friendly logos that have engulfed the NRL, and Australian sport in general.

Maybe include '1995' in there somewhere, as the year of establishment is also popular these days, and I think NQ would be close to having their logo!
Not bad mate, not bad at all.

hellteam

First Grade
All three Dolphins jerseys have now been released:

dolphins-jerseys-2023.jpg

hellteam

First Grade
The odd thing is I'm wearing the heritage jersey right now, and the gold on it is old gold. When the team was announced they specifically said the third colour was old gold, supposedly meant to be an accent colour only to the primary club colours of red and white. Why they changed their minds and made gold the second colour and made it a beige shade instead of old gold is beyond me. The jersey should have the gold and white switched, in my opinion. Old gold chevrons dividing the red from the white would have looked much better.
Seeing the home and away together for the first time, I totally agree with this. If the only gold was the two lines across the torso, the rest red and white, they would look good.

sempmrh

Juniors
The only thing I really like about the Dolphins branding is the logo and maybe the heritage jersey. I would like to see how it all looks on the field though.

Latest posts