What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nothing strawman about it, too many quarms and nitpicking from every faction on any sponsor, whats wrong with putting your slogan/brand on a jersey vs putting your brand at a bus stop, no difference... the issue isn't that betting companies are unjust or leeching on society, its societies woke ethics creeping into how to dictate whats acceptable to advertise on a rugby league player that is revered by fans and young children...

View attachment 67966
Nothing has been dictated, Entain decided on their own volition that they didn't want to engage in visible sponsorship of sports teams anymore.

I'd also dispute that there are too many qualms or nitpicks from "every faction on any sponsor". There are actually very few.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing strawman about it, too many quarms and nitpicking from every faction on any sponsor, whats wrong with putting your slogan/brand on a jersey vs putting your brand at a bus stop, no difference... the issue isn't that betting companies are unjust or leeching on society, its societies woke ethics creeping into how to dictate whats acceptable to advertise on a rugby league player that is revered by fans and young children...

View attachment 67966
Lol so banning betting companies means no one will be able to sponsor sport? It’s literally the epitomy of a strawman argument!

MugaB

Coach
Lol so banning betting companies means no one will be able to sponsor sport? It’s literally the epitomy of a strawman argument!
No one is banning anything... so im not sure where you are getting that idea... my opinion is that they didn't have to take off their branding off the back of the players back, coz "society" deems gambling immoral

Iamback

Coach
Nothing has been dictated, Entain decided on their own volition that they didn't want to engage in visible sponsorship of sports teams anymore.

I'd also dispute that there are too many qualms or nitpicks from "every faction on any sponsor". There are actually very few.

Netball Australia
Australia cricket lost sponsors due to nitpicking

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one is banning anything... so im not sure where you are getting that idea... my opinion is that they didn't have to take off their branding off the back of the players back, coz "society" deems gambling immoral
I never said they are, I said it would be a good idea to do so. Gambling is a blight on society and shouldn’t be encouraged by sports organisations. Just like cigarettes. That’s my opinion.

MugaB

Coach

Agreed, they did go about it on their own, they weren't pushed into it by any means, but what I'm more unhappy with is that folks tend to bag out one business for the repercussions of morons, like that dude who ate maccas for like every meal, then sued them coz he was fat..
I just dont see the issue with gambling companies having adverts on jerseys any different then fast food etc

MugaB

Coach
I never said they are, I said it would be a good idea to do so. Gambling is a blight on society and shouldn’t be encouraged by sports organisations. Just like cigarettes. That’s my opinion.
Yeah well, there's plenty of blights on society, moderation is key to vices.. not the overuse of drugs, gambling, alcohol etc..
Anyways back to the actual jersey thread... thats my opinion

Saint Doc

Coach
Why wouldn't we need ACT colours anymore? Disagree...

Do the Roosters or Souths or Parra or Saints need a NSWRL badge so we know they’re from NSW?

The ACT colours made sense when the raiders were admitted, engaging locals to show where they are from. But it’s a pretty shit combo of colours from a design perspective. No way marketing gurus sit around creating a new NBA or NFL or EPL team and think…lime green, Royal blue, yellow gold and white are a winning combo.

the ACT colours have served their purpose and should stay around on heritage jerseys. But time to embrace lime green as the brand, and pick some better colours to complement it…navy/charcoal/silver etc

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do the Roosters or Souths or Parra or Saints need a NSWRL badge so we know they’re from NSW?

The ACT colours made sense when the raiders were admitted, engaging locals to show where they are from. But it’s a pretty shit combo of colours from a design perspective. No way marketing gurus sit around creating a new NBA or NFL or EPL team and think…lime green, Royal blue, yellow gold and white are a winning combo.

the ACT colours have served their purpose and should stay around on heritage jerseys. But time to embrace lime green as the brand, and pick some better colours to complement it…navy/charcoal/silver etc
They've tried to add literally all of those colours to the colour scheme in the past (technically black and steel not charcoal and silver, but it's all the same at the end of the day), but a minority of people pissed and moaned until they changed it back.

The Raiders, and a lot of other clubs for that matter, will never be able to move their brands forward until they grow a spine and ignore the minority of whingers whom can't comprehend that it's not all about them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Dolphins training jersey
View attachment 67976
It's honestly amazing how the Dolphins have manged to take red and gold, one of the best colour combos on the planet, and make it so ugly.

Their problem is that the shades are way off. Changing the shade of gold to a darker shade like old gold or brilliant gold would go a long way to fixing their problems. Moving from a bright red to blood red, or maybe something even darker like burgundy, would make the gold pop even more and look amazing as well.

They should also look to either replace white with a dark grey or black in their colour scheme, both of which go much better with gold than white, or use the white much more sparingly in their kit.

They also need to lower the ratio of gold to red on their home jersey as well, and explore using materials that actually give a metallic effect as well.

Victoire

Juniors

View attachment 67966
6zwr2x.jpg

flippikat

Bench
This actually made me laugh out loud.

Gees, accusing something of being "woke" is a lazy argument.. I mean, sure social policy has (to varying degrees) distracted the left from the *real problem* that capitalism & growth as "the only metric that counts" is a fundamentally flawed system in the face of resource scarcity & climate collapse.. but umm surely we can do the economic AND societal stuff???

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Netball Australia
Australia cricket lost sponsors due to nitpicking
I mean, my post said "very few" so you've just proven my point.

Netball Australia replaced theirs within a fortnight, and CA never lost Alinta, they're still the premier partner.

Iamback

Coach
I mean, my post said "very few" so you've just proven my point.

Netball Australia replaced theirs within a fortnight, and CA never lost Alinta, they're still the premier partner.

A government stepped in not exactly viable everytime a sponsor falls through

Latest posts