What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bazal

Post Whore
We should have scored more than 18; if you read my comment I said our attack wasn’t very good.

But the bigger point is we should have won the game with 18 points. Penrith has won the past few years (and are first this year) because they concede 12 points, and that is in the NRL where the game is refereed to help generate points. We win tonight with better defending.

And while it was unfortunate that Nicho was out there in a position he hasn’t played before, that was the job he was in the team for; to be a utility.

Crichton defended worse than Hynes for 80 mins tho? And he was in his preferred position

Tedesco having a literal Carige has taken the spotlight but Crichton should be sent home with his papers stamped, not even let back into the team hotel

Reflector

Juniors
I love how angry Joey gets about a loss. He’s such a petulant merkin.
JT is exactly the same after a loss but that’s ok because it’s #passion

Meanwhile Joey caring about a loss is apparently hilarious, because he obviously didn’t get the memo that as a Blue, he’s meant to be impartial at all times except when praising Qld.

If this is Freddy’s last series, Joey is my #1 pick for his successor.

Maximus

Coach
We should have scored more than 18; if you read my comment I said our attack wasn’t very good.

But the bigger point is we should have won the game with 18 points. Penrith has won the past few years (and are first this year) because they concede 12 points, and that is in the NRL where the game is refereed to help generate points. We win tonight with better defending.

And while it was unfortunate that Nicho was out there in a position he hasn’t played before, that was the job he was in the team for; to be a utility.

Didn't the all Penrith edge concede 2 of the tries?

No Hynes was in the team so Freddy didn't get sacked. He wanted his Penrith combo, but everyone else wanted the best half who was also in the best form. Based on the fact he never looked like being brought on, Freddy had no intentions of using him until the game was over.

Frailty

First Grade
Have to love NSW power brokers and influencers - both Gould and Johns acknowledging post-game how bad the attack was and how much better Queensland were, but neither wanted changes to NSW...

For years, NSW's kicking game has been abysmal and tonight was no different. Most of the reason is not because of the talent doing the kicking, but because NSW has this idea you only need one player doing the kicking. This allows QLD defence to solely focus rush pressure on one player. Queensland on the other hand have 2 or 3 players that are a genuine kicking threat, spreading any kick pressure across the field. It was one of many reasons that I think NSW would have been better placed with Hynes in the 6. Of course, that's assuming that Fittler would have both kicking as part of the game plan. I'm not sure he would.

Tedesco has been awful all season, and was poor again. Trbojevic had one good game where his team dominated and he was not really a factor tonight and didn't look threatening.

Reflector

Juniors
f**ken Fatty Vautin slurpin off Billy Slater.

They were heroes when “they pick and stick” and they’re f**ken heroes when they drop Ponga.

“Oh Billy, you were hammered in the press for dropping Ponga, but you proved ‘em wrong!!”

Get farked merkin. 😒
Gotta love the selective distortion that goes on in the commentary during the game as well. Apparently Qld have never been “out of a contest” and “always” respond when their backs are to the wall.

Apart from all those times they’ve been flogged, or put under pressure and wilted, or dropped players for underperforming, but that gets airbrushed out.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I defended Teddy last year when he copped shit for his origin games but yeah tonight he stunk. Teddy still thinks he has the running game he had in 2015-19. He needs to evolve like Slater did later in his career. Hard to believe he’s only 30, he plays like he’s about 35 now

what a shitshow from NSW. Literally everything went their way and they still lost. Fitler should drop the whole NSW spine but then that wouldn't address the teams biggest problem, him.

It was just oh so predictable that QLD would fire up after the ridiculous sinbinning of Flegler and end up winning. You just knew it was going to happen. NSW will not win the next two games, the series is over. Fitler is another symbolic appointment for NSW, just like Daley was. Great players they were but they are both clueless when it comes to coaching. Fitler just assumes that if he chucks a bunch of successful club combinations together and some guys who have done the job before then she'll be right. Slater is tactical and reads the game and he's pulled NSW pants down again.

Don’t forget the walking around in bare feet.

Freddy is a flogbag wanker.

GongPanther

Referee
I don't want more Panthers, but i feel like Dylan Edwards would run for 300+ meters if he was picked
He organizes the defense from the back brilliantly. I'm sure they'll stick with Teddy being that is his worse game in SOO for quite a while.

Maximus

Coach
Gotta love the selective distortion that goes on in the commentary during the game as well. Apparently Qld have never been “out of a contest” and “always” respond when their backs are to the wall.

Apart from all those times they’ve been flogged, or put under pressure and wilted, or dropped players for underperforming, but that gets airbrushed out.

They were "always in the contest" when they lost 44-12 last year and 50-6 the year before

Iamback

Coach
Yeah nah. Everyone has that opportunity every week and they still struggle to stop the Panthers.

I think the issue is that the Panthers play suits a fast line running or sweep run fullback, and Teddy plays flat with the ball in front.

That and Crichton/To'o are actually on the right side

Frailty

First Grade
It doesn't matter how bad Teddy plays, they'll keep picking him because he's captain and "he's played well in the past".

Based on comments from Fittler, Johns and Gould, don't expect a whole lot of changes. It'll be something meaningless like Burton in for Hynes, or they'll bring Cook to have two hookers.

Iamback

Coach
It doesn't matter how bad Teddy plays, they'll keep picking him because he's captain and "he's played well in the past".

Based on comments from Fittler, Johns and Gould, don't expect a whole lot of changes. It'll be something meaningless like Burton in for Hynes, or they'll bring Cook to have two hookers.

Doesn't really need many changes to be 1000% better side.

Latrell will come in.

Put JAC and To'o on their normal wings

Start Murray and Martin for Young and TPJ

That is good enough to get the job done, Although no Teddy is ideal

Latest posts