What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Exsilium

Coach
For all the talk of Tedesco hogging the ball and being one-dimensional, isn’t Edwards very much a metre eating, not really a playmaker style FB too? Is he really going to make a big difference? To make a big change to the attack you’d want more of a ball playing FB

Used to be that way but he’s become a really effective link in the last 18 months. He knows how to find the overlaps and he makes the right call 9/10 times.

Nsw dominated most of the game

the difference was queenslands execution

the game was close and in the balance

Tedesco won’t get dropped but latrell returning will make a difference

the biggest problem is the coach

for mine I would have latrell at fullback and Burton in the centres and probably have Damien cook back over api

Joey flanghan hasler for coach

even bellyache if he wants another shot

You do realise that Joey has been on the NSW Origin coaching staff for quite a few years right?

Artiste

Bench
With about 2 mins of thought, my Game 2 NSW side would be something like:
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Campbell Graham
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cody Walker
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Junior Paulo
9. Damien Cook
10. Payne Haas
11. Liam Martin
12. Cameron Murray
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Api Koroisau
15. Tyson Frizell
16. Daniel Saifiti
17. Stefano Utoikamanu

Swap Cody Walker for Nico Hynes if that floats your boat.

I would also argue that if Cleary can't produce in Game 2 then Adam Reynolds should be halfback for Game 3.
I’m all for Reyno actually

Wb1234

Immortal
You do realise that Joey has been on the NSW Origin coaching staff for quite a few years right?
Assistant coach doesn’t mean anything

flnaghan was assistant at the dragons and they were still bad and the guy can coach

either way Freddy is goneski

playing haas for 31 minutes is the height of stupidity

Fangs

Coach
Dylan Edwards would have been invaluable last night. Though I can't see Fittler having the balls to drop Tedesco for game 2. He has enough credits at this level to have another chance. Press storm dropping the Australian and NSW fullback and captain would be too difficult to handle.

Latrell for Crichton. Otherwise backline will remain the same IMO. Forwards however will have changes. I'm expecting a lot of re-shuffling as Paulo and Murray are starters:

8. Paulo
9. Korisau
10. Haas
11. Frizell
12. Murray
13. Yeo

14. Leinu
15. Hynes/Cook
16. Martin
17. Fill (Maybe Young not sure)

Martin was great off the bench. Leinu was first in line before he got injured. That's a lot of punch on the bench with potentially Korisau/Cook combo happening. Just not sure about Hudson Young and that last position.

I love Latrell. I will advocate him as a fullback for Souths against all the peanut opinions on here.

However... he doesn't have the motor to be a fullback at Origin level. Let him dominate at left centre, ideally outside someone who can actually create tries.

Edwards should be fullback.
This. He’s very much like GI, too good to be a centre at club level but at origin Qld have not shut him down when fit and motivated. Don’t move him.

soc123_au

Staff member
It's an accidental head clash, and a penalty at worst. Especially at Origin level that's a shit decision.

Radley was running around taking heads off mere weeks ago and not even getting so much as a penalty. It's like they change the rules to suit the side they want to see win.

You're OK with dog shotting players on the ground?
It was an accidental shoulder to the head. I already said the sinbin was harsh, and tbh I'd be happy enough with play on in those situations, but for the last year or so it's a penalty all day every day if we are consistent.

I'm not a fan of the big tough guy hits to bloke on the ground no matter who does it, but if it's not in the head it aint a penalty. Not being ok with something doesn't make it against the rules. Luai stiff armed him around the chest, if there was a penalty to be found in that incident it was against QLD for the hair pull while running in blowing up over a legal tackle. Consider yourselves kissed on the dick by a fairy that it was play on.

soc123_au

Staff member
For all the talk of Tedesco hogging the ball and being one-dimensional, isn’t Edwards very much a metre eating, not really a playmaker style FB too? Is he really going to make a big difference? To make a big change to the attack you’d want more of a ball playing FB
Edwards has been pretty good with the passing game lately. You wouldn't call him a gun ball player by any stretch, but he will give the outside blokes some space. Also if he does dummy and go, he defence has to at least think about it for a split second. They know Teddy isn't passing it.

The big difference would have been in Defence anyway. I'd back Edwards to have stopped the first try without breaking a sweat, he is rarely out of position. Also his organisation. There is a big reason Penrith have been the best defensive side going on 4 years and there is one common denominator. The squad looks nothing like the 2020 side except the bloke at the back telling them where to be, the players that have moved on all look like turnstiles compared to when the chinless one was steering them around.

Plus he doesn't fall flat on his face everytime he needs to change direction. Poor old Teddy looks like my Nan trying to ice skate most of the time.

some11

Referee
I also love how NSW think Origin is going the stiff arm or working the tackled player, and pick fake tough guys to perform this role.

Rather, then pick a guy who can play 80 out of position and make 48 tackles.
Pangai and Thugson Young were two of queensland's best. Great for pressure relief.

They aren't a patch on the shit that went on under Stuart's reign. Why even try?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
As far as NSW goes -
If they’re going to pick majority Panthers it has to be because of their defence not attack as Penrith is a defensive machine. If Freddy wants all out attack pick a Souths heavy side. Also a big reason Panthers defence is so good is because Dylan Edwards controls the line from the behind it.

Panthers attack is based on hooker to prop, prop to Yeo, Yeo linking with Cleary, Cleary going left to Luai or right with a sweeping Edwards and 2R’s being decoys on either side or there for short pass hit up through the line. This make up doesn’t work because the props don’t play like Fish or Leota and Teddy doesn’t sweep and pass like Edwards.

some11

Referee
Don’t get the Teddy hate he tried his best
Sorry had to do it

Mixed-Disgusting-Hadrosaurus-size-restricted.gif

Latest posts