What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R8 Sat - North Qld 18-16 Newcastle @ QLD Country Bank

Round 8: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
No hooker just kills the knights
Crossland tricked us into thinking he was a 5/10 the last two weeks, but rest assured tonight we were reminded he is indeed a 3/10 at absolute best. Brailey is just about the worst injury we could have got given the backup is Crossland.

beave

Coach
You watch that game Thursday night and then compare it to that utter dross served up tonight and it makes you wonder if it's even the same f**king sport.

Paytens use of the bench tonight was laughable but moreso the explanation behind it.

I honestly can't believe both those teams are full time paid professionals, you can also throw the officials in the bin as well. How the f**k can you miss the Holmes forward pass when you are standing right next to them, Dearden is looking at Cummins after he scored because he knew it was forward.

Apey

Staff member
You watch that game Thursday night and then compare it to that utter dross served up tonight and it makes you wonder if it's even the same f**king sport.

Paytens use of the bench tonight was laughable but moreso the explanation behind it.

I honestly can't believe both those teams are full time paid professionals, you can also throw the officials in the bin as well. How the f**k can you miss the Holmes forward pass when you are standing right next to them, Dearden is looking at Cummins after he scored because he knew it was forward.
It's ok most us don't care because we played shit compared to last week and deserved to lose, lol.

gerg

Juniors
Crossland tricked us into thinking he was a 5/10 the last two weeks, but rest assured tonight we were reminded he is indeed a 3/10 at absolute best. Brailey is just about the worst injury we could have got given the backup is Crossland.

Yep, last couple of seasons has gone straight to shit as soon as Braileys been injured. Knights were starting to look like a side on the up.

This Year?

Immortal
I don't know how the Knights didn't win that. So many times it felt like they just needed some more support or a better last pass, but their discipline with the ball was crap. They really should have iced the game when the Cowboys were a man down.
The Cowboys were rubbish yet again but at least they get a win. I thought Brent Tate dragging players away from the fans for interviews was piss poor.

blaza88z

Coach
It's hard to find a reason for why the Cows are playing so badly, I am sure their fans are baffled, I would be

gerg

Juniors
It's hard to find a reason for why the Cows are playing so badly, I am sure their fans are baffled, I would be

Drinkwater is the key. He was in great form in the middle of last year and then got shut-down in the finals. If they can get him firing again they go on a bit of a run.

beave

Coach
Drinkwater is the key. He was in great form in the middle of last year and then got shut-down in the finals. If they can get him firing again they go on a bit of a run.

I disagree mate.

In the prelim loss, the biggest problem for mine was the soft defence in the middle by the forwards especially on the goal line and 10m out, last tackle options where they had success early in the game by kicking high to Waqa Blake they then barely went his way on the last for the rest of the game. Instead they were kicking to Sivo............ who would you rather having to tackle on a kick chase? Blake has issues under the high ball, I don't know why they started kicking to the more destructive ball running winger, if it was to tire him out then it honesty backfired for mine and they only tired themselves out in D.

This also highlighted that sending the ball on the last to Townsend everytime who plays on the RH side exclusively, means he will generally then kick to the oppositions LH side, they needed Dearden to start to demand the ball on the last and provide a point of doubt in the defences mind as well as putting a kick into the opposite side of the field.

NQ were on top with the ball early in the 2nd half, making pretty good metres by playing direct and simple through the middle, they then let a few try's in from their own stupidity and started to panic and then started to look to go sideways and as a result their yardage was a lot less. Townsend, Dearden and Drinky needed to go back to what was working earlier and trust the process.

Winning the prelim was going to be a futile exercise as they were only going to get their asses handed to them by Penrith the next week....... especially with no Lolo due to suspension.

Last edited: