What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
You also need a few weeks for recovery between games too.

As for people checking out, That is fine the game only needs to provide the content
I'd keep the same 2 to 3 week gaps. Just on those weeks only play 3 NRL games. It would dramatically improve the NRL club competition quality during the Origin period. When people check out, they don't always check back in.

Iamback

Coach
I'd keep the same 2 to 3 week gaps. Just on those weeks only play 3 NRL games. It would dramatically improve the NRL club competition quality during the Origin period. When people check out, they don't always check back in.

Wouldn't they check out anyway with less games on though?

docbrown

Coach
Wouldn't they check out anyway with less games on though?
It's more about the perception that the NRL club quality is reduced over the current Origin period. Under this scenario it's only 9 games spread over the 3 origin weeks. You could argue at the moment it's at least 6 weeks affected minimum and at least twice as many games affected.

Billythekid

First Grade
AFL ratings on FTA in Brisbane held up better than expected TBH. I will say that whilst we all like to compare NRL ratings in Melbourne to AFL in Sydney and Brisbane it’s a hard comparison to make.

The storm have never had decent FTA coverage and if you’re a storm fan living in Melbourne you needed Paytv. It’s no coincidence that storm games rate so highly on fox. For the swans and lions this hasn’t been the case so there hasn’t been as big of a need to get fox or kayo. Without knowing the regional breakdown of fox and kayo it’s really hard to compare.

The bigger story to me is the monstrous ratings for the NRL. The match was absolutely huge and with kayo will again eclipse 600K just on fox and kayo which is wild. Surely the NRL need to be starting to use this as a bargaining chip for our next TV deal asap, get the bidding started.
Im ok with this. Personally I still prefer a set original a period and then a big relaunch to finish the season post origin. Im happy with any plan that gets rid of this BS period in the middle of the season where SOO is a massive drag on the NRL comp.

docbrown

Coach
rugby league offers four premium content games

afl one

another factor which doesn’t get mentioned
Honestly, the All Stars match is underdeveloped. You just know the AFL wishes it could copy it but it would be basically be whites vs Indigeneous in that code, whereas with NRL even our NRL all stars teams had non-white players.

I'd like to see the All Stars match played on the Friday night of Grand Final week. Potentially tweaking it one more time to Indigineous vs Islanders (Melanesian and Polynesian). It would rate 2 million plus that week.

Also the more NZ wins games, the more valuable Kangaroos vs Kiwis becomes. Again, something else fumbleball can't copy.

Iamback

Coach
It's more about the perception that the NRL club quality is reduced over the current Origin period. Under this scenario it's only 9 games spread over the 3 origin weeks. You could argue at the moment it's at least 6 weeks affected minimum and at least twice as many games affected.

I agree that time of the year can be a drag, The issue is more as I see it that you had the dud teams playing each other.

That will be the case still as you want the good teams playing each other with the Origin guys playing

The_Wookie

Bench
Yes as @Wb1234 pointed out since "hours viewed" and now adding the crowd figure to the live audience figure has magically appeared (due to popular demand apparently, love to see the evidence of that)

Hours viewed is nothing new, its just generally not something ive done for individual matches, it is something ive discussed end of year for some time. You dont get to see evidence from my private messaging, but look hard enough on twitter and a variety of other forums and there are requests there.

The data is designed to answer any question or objection, you can take or leave whatever part you like, and assume whatever relevance you think to any part of it.

why aren`t we including an estimated figure of all the tens of thousands crowded into pubs and clubs around our large regional towns and cities in NSW and Qld, something other states don`t have.
Damn it, chuck in another 200 000 + to the figures every week.

Talk to Oztam. Im sure they've heard this before, but given the number of patrons that attend venues, and the number of screens most of these venues have, it would be damn near impossible for them to log the right data into the recording boxes. That said, I dont know why theres no data at all, not even an estimate.,

Oztam wants to seem relevant that is the only reason, Otherwise we'd see actual streaming figures

Not from my understanding of the situation, the problem is the interface with the streaming from Streamotion and the oztam boxes - it is still in trials at the moment. Im told that while Fox does have specific information thats commercial in confidence, ratings releases are done in a similar fashion to the VPM system that oztam uses ie. overall number of minutes watched/duration of broadcast.

Wb1234

Immortal
I agree that time of the year can be a drag, The issue is more as I see it that you had the dud teams playing each other.

That will be the case still as you want the good teams playing each other with the Origin guys playing
Around origin every year I struggle to watch nrl games and come back just before the finals

after seeing origin it’s hard to go back to nrl

The_Wookie

Bench
Honestly, the All Stars match is underdeveloped. You just know the AFL wishes it could copy it but it would be basically be whites vs Indigeneous in that code, whereas with NRL even our NRL all stars teams had non-white players.

They did copy it and thats exactly what it was.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I'd like to see the All Stars match played on the Friday night of Grand Final week.
I think that would severely reduce the impact that the Indigenous Game could have.
As we all know Indigenous players offer something to our game that is invaluable, attracting more Indigenous players is a must, The Indigenous game would be better turned into a week-long travelling roadshow tapping into Indigenous and Islander communities all over Oz and N.Z.
I watched the u`19`s Nothern Territory GF a couple of years ago, half the players were playing in the corresponding fumbleball GF the following week. Indigenous Round is tool we can use all over Oz to bring these blokes permanently into our game. And fumbleball can`t imitate it.

docbrown

Coach
I think that would severely reduce the impact that the Indigenous Game could have.
As we all know Indigenous players offer something to our game that is invaluable, attracting more Indigenous players is a must, The Indigenous game would be better turned into a week-long travelling roadshow tapping into Indigenous and Islander communities all over Oz and N.Z.
I watched the u`19`s Nothern Territory GF a couple of years ago, half the players were playing in the corresponding fumbleball GF the following week. Indigenous Round is tool we can use all over Oz to bring these blokes permanently into our game. And fumbleball can`t imitate it.
I’d have the rough squads form after the last home and away round and start doing exactly what you say, a travelling roadshow during the four weeks of the finals. For the Indigenous side a week in NSW, a week in QLD, a week in NT/WA etc. The Islanders side could go to rural NZ, PNG and Fiji. As teams drop out of finals contention, more players join the squads.

The_Wookie

Bench
rugby league offers four premium content games

afl one

another factor which doesn’t get mentioned

At the time these current deals were done, the AFL was getting 20 odd matches a year that had an audience of a million or more, the NRL were getting half or less - including Origin and Finals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends if you are going for a completely new franchise (like the Storm) or basing it off a strong existing team (like Redcliffe). If its the former you need more time for the team to get its structures and infrastucture in place.

2025 sounds about right.
Unless they renogtiate with the incumbents, who will invariably want an extension as part of the deal, a new club won’t come in till 2028. A new club is going to cost the nrl over $20mill a year so tv grant has to go up by at least that to cover costs Or nrl has to cover it, I can’t see them doing that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good work on the spreadsheet btw.

That is common as they increase with inflation and other things across the deal.

NRL deal will do the same, Likely is why they don't go into so much detail.

You found the Marvel upgrade costs?
It’s his guess work. but cash wise looks on the mark. Afl announce 2025 deal was “over” $4bill cash.
Accountancy rules changed at time of last deal where they add a small % each year (think it was 2-3% each year from memory) to tv deal revenue, hence why it starts lower than “avg amount“ announced and ends above it.

The_Wookie

Bench
Unless they renogtiate with the incumbents, who will invariably want an extension as part of the deal, a new club won’t come in till 2028. A new club is going to cost the nrl over $20mill a year so tv grant has to go up by at least that to cover costs Or nrl has to cover it, I can’t see them doing that.

If theres a new team, they'd definitely renegotiate

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s say Perth is the next team, You need to give them a year or so to get junior systems into place. Before setting up the Senior team
Ideally it would be a 2-3 year lead in. Also gives time formWA govt to hopefully be upgrading hbf park and building a CofE.

presuming no tv renogtiation this deal ideally you’d be announcing the club 2025. 2026 re-entering sg ball and a nsw cup/reserve grade team. 2027 head coach and staff start, 2028 nrl start up for ninth game in new $550mill deal. That would be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.