What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Squad List

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

I suspect we will try and keep Jonah for 2025 as a half who can be a train and trial player ie max $135k pa

He doesn’t appear like he will make the top30 at most clubs

he is only 21yrs of age and if we have Cook and Lids in 2025 Jonah could easily player no14 if required ie if Lids or Cook injured

Jonah is quick and strong for a halfback but could do limited game time at hooker. May also be an interesting player to

Not taking up a top30 also allows an equal pathway for Lyhkan King-Togia to keep developing with us as a Development or Train and Trial player also - who equally maybe able to fill in mid season as a no14 if required

Kyan Hjaltason (c) of Jersey Flegg is also coming along very well as a no9 and will no doubt be on our Train and Trial list if not Development Player in 2025.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors

I suspect we will try and keep Jonah for 2025 as a half who can be a train and trial player ie max $135k pa

He doesn’t appear like he will make the top30 at most clubs

he is only 21yrs of age and if we have Cook and Lids in 2025 Jonah could easily player no14 if required ie if Lids or Cook injured

Jonah is quick and strong for a halfback but could do limited game time at hooker. May also be an interesting player to

Not taking up a top30 also allows an equal pathway for Lyhkan King-Togia to keep developing with us as a Development or Train and Trial player also - who equally maybe able to fill in mid season as a no14 if required

Kyan Hjaltason (c) of Jersey Flegg is also coming along very well as a no9 and will no doubt be on our Train and Trial list if not Development Player in 2025.
I'd be looking at the Raiders for potential halves cover. Sanders heading there next year, which still doesn't make a heap of sense to me considering he'll be leaving Sydney where he is a backup to go and live in Canberra where he'll also be a backup. I think Fogarty would be a good acquisition for us if Canberra were willing to shop him. Certainly not elite, but has a good kicking game, good organisational ability, can kick a field goal which no one else in our team can once Lomax is gone, can goal kick well. Next to Hunt, he'd do well I think, and might be able to overcall him a bit more than Flano has been capable of considering he's a bit more of a 'senior' player. Kyle could then move to a backup role which gives us good options. The other is Kaeo Weekes who has actually surprised me how well he's gone this year. Covers halves and fullback and if Fogarty stays, Weekes probably finds himself 4th in the halves pecking order with Sanders coming, and either 2nd or 3rd in the fullback order. Again, would provide us with options in a different way Fogarty would, Kyle would probably be ahead of him, but we have the option to move Weekes up in a given week if a running half is more suited to a particular game, or if Sloan's out of form we have the option to put him at the back and we don't lose the speed he provides like we would if say Allan came in at the back. Other than that, Pezet from Melbourne should be asked the question again and again to see if he's changed his mind about sitting behind Hughes and Munster for years

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Twelve months ago, I wouldn't have considered centre to be a problem position for us. Now I do. Not much footwork or speed in either Sherman Tank Suli or "knees" Bird who look like being our starting centres for 2025- unless of course there is more going on behind the scenes with Talagi than the club has revealed. Hayden Buchanan may be an option in 12 months time but based on what I saw in the U19s match, he is an honest toiler rather than an explosive type like Tamale.

TheRev

First Grade
We have put in a big offer for Talagi.
Once the new Parramatta coach is appointed everyone will know whether he stays or takes up another offer elsewhere.
I do hope we get him, though im not holding my breath as I dont really see what difference Ryles vs Hannah vs Young would make to a 19yr old...

The only thing could be whether xyz coach gives him a verbal promise of a 1st grade position.. which im sure they couldnt really do anyway until pre-season when they see who they have, and who looks the goods.

steerlerbab

Juniors
one guy being forgotten in all these talks is Dylan Egan. Early in the year Flanno compared Dylan to Lyam Martin. But also gave the hint he won't be rushed. But in 2 or 3 years with him, Couchmans, Pasifiki Tonga we will have 4 home grown talents (hope I did not drop anybody)

TheRev

First Grade
I think Egan is still up in the air.. I saw an attacking run 2 weeks back that I was like 'oh I haven't seen that before', but still too early to know if he's going to make it even at nsw cup level...

I think Nick T is more exciting, but hes still stuck in Flegg.. I think he prefers right ctr also though..

And the fact RyanC has ended up back @ prop, might mean they have given up on him as 2nd row potential.. or perhaps he is more useful as a mobile prop like his brother.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I suspect there was a journey we were trying to achieve in 2024 so far. ie early season we backed in the most experienced and or most physically developed and heavy enough to have their shot at the best 17. This made sense to see if we could help the older guys find higher ground and new levels of performance.

Plus we got RFM and Luc a bit late on the scene which was super handy.

Sele and FMolo were ear marked early as our most likely starting props if fit and firing.
Eisenhuth, SuA, RFM, Luc emerged as players fighting for the backrow bit by bit. Yet only 3 can start.
So the next props that had to fight for spots were JDB, Lawrie, MMolo and BMM.
They all can not fit into the top17.
To me it made sense then to position the slightly older more physically developed 23/24 yr old props an opportunity to start in NSW Cup ie Fafita and Tuitavake.

Flano gave all the above their chance to make that 17 there own.

Now the last 4 to 5 weeks the focus appears to have changed and Flano is rewarding the Couchmen boys for their stellar efforts in NSW Cup. Flano is unleashing them bit by bit at the right time ie as they have peaked in NSW Cup and pushing into FG.

The Couchmen boys have jumped ahead of Tuitavake and Fafita significantly who are now NSW Cup bench boys.

BMM has probably surprised us with his impact in FG as a middle off the bench that is doing well.

Lawrie has gone backwards.

JDB has proved extremely versatile and in the main (except last game) pretty good.

Eisenhuth has taken that no13 with 60,000 tackles and grapples per game.

Re Egan..........I think the RFM and Luc signings changed things dramatically...........so to Sua doing much better in 2024, injury free and staying beyond 2024. These are massive roadblocks for Egan right now. They are also a road block for R Couchmen to playing edge backrow. Why not help ryan and toby be the best middles possible from here on in.

it’s also probably fair to say that our current 4 dominant backrowers in FG ie Sua, Luc, RFM and TomE are perfectly stepped in their contracts for being our best choices right now but equally there will be opportunities in 2025/26/27 for the below emerging / developing backrowers to fight for JF / NSW Cup and or even FG bench spots for a few of them.

Egan
Stewart
Nick T
Latu
Halangahu
Stanley-Traill
Meafou
Treweek

All 8 of these backrowers have demonstrated they have talent and some of the serious rep players. Some are also just turning 19yrs old. They have time.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I'd be looking at the Raiders for potential halves cover. Sanders heading there next year, which still doesn't make a heap of sense to me considering he'll be leaving Sydney where he is a backup to go and live in Canberra where he'll also be a backup. I think Fogarty would be a good acquisition for us if Canberra were willing to shop him. Certainly not elite, but has a good kicking game, good organisational ability, can kick a field goal which no one else in our team can once Lomax is gone, can goal kick well. Next to Hunt, he'd do well I think, and might be able to overcall him a bit more than Flano has been capable of considering he's a bit more of a 'senior' player. Kyle could then move to a backup role which gives us good options. The other is Kaeo Weekes who has actually surprised me how well he's gone this year. Covers halves and fullback and if Fogarty stays, Weekes probably finds himself 4th in the halves pecking order with Sanders coming, and either 2nd or 3rd in the fullback order. Again, would provide us with options in a different way Fogarty would, Kyle would probably be ahead of him, but we have the option to move Weekes up in a given week if a running half is more suited to a particular game, or if Sloan's out of form we have the option to put him at the back and we don't lose the speed he provides like we would if say Allan came in at the back. Other than that, Pezet from Melbourne should be asked the question again and again to see if he's changed his mind about sitting behind Hughes and Munster for years
Weekes and Pezet..yes

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Twelve months ago, I wouldn't have considered centre to be a problem position for us. Now I do. Not much footwork or speed in either Sherman Tank Suli or "knees" Bird who look like being our starting centres for 2025- unless of course there is more going on behind the scenes with Talagi than the club has revealed. Hayden Buchanan may be an option in 12 months time but based on what I saw in the U19s match, he is an honest toiler rather than an explosive type like Tamale.
I think Buchanan is explosive, but he was playing on the wrong side. He's a left centre through and through but still beat his opposite a few times playing on the right.

TheRev

First Grade
Buchanan has some pace, the thing is hes not big enough to kind of run rough-shot over anyone... but he seems very precise with his movements, and hes the first centre we've had in i dont even know how long that will set his winger up perfectly... i dont wanna get too excited though.. hes very young etc..

But keen to see him play more cup this year.. like thats where you see whether they can keep developing, or do they hit their ceiling... I dont mind the patience, but we may end up with an awful lot of kids in our extended squad that are still sitting 2 grades down from 1st grade...

hook hook

Juniors
I think Egan is still up in the air.. I saw an attacking run 2 weeks back that I was like 'oh I haven't seen that before', but still too early to know if he's going to make it even at nsw cup level...

I think Nick T is more exciting, but hes still stuck in Flegg.. I think he prefers right ctr also though..

And the fact RyanC has ended up back @ prop, might mean they have given up on him as 2nd row potential.. or perhaps he is more useful as a mobile prop like his brother.
I think nick T at this stage is the pick of the bunch in the back row, even the cup games he played last year surpass Egan’s this year.
That being said it does make sense to move Ryan C into the middle, there are essentially 5-6 spots in FG for middles as opposed to 3 for back rowers

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think it is fair to say that if Egan has been doing it for 80min games all season in NSW Cup that is a different standard to compare

I love Nick Ts zing and Anthony Wattmough style about him but it is hard compare just yet as he hasn’t been playing 80min games against the bigger men just yet

will be interesting to monitor performance and stats as the season goes on and he gets more opportunity in the grade above

he looks like he is lucky to be 92kg as a backrower young Nick which maybe mean a longer development cycle before FG ?

there is a very small amount of short young 92kg second rowers in FG

Last edited:

Rod Coil

Juniors
I think it is fair to say that if Egan has been doing it for 80min games all season in NSW Cup that is a different standard to compare

I love Nick Ts zing and Anthony Wattmough style about him but it is hard compare just yet as he hasn’t been playing 80min games against the bigger men just yet

will be interesting to monitor performance and stats as the season goes on and he gets more opportunity in the grade above

he looks like he is lucky to be 92kg as a backrower young Nick which maybe mean a longer development cycle before FG ?

there is a very small amount of short young 92kg second rowers in FG
Yep I too rate Nick T the best of the young guys at present.

TheRev

First Grade
Egans bodyshape is very unusual for a 2nd rower, can you think of another 2nd rower in the NRL who is similar?

I know he is compared to Martin, but Martin is a slightly slimmer frame and has real speed.. Egan is not fully grown yet either, he will fill out.. I reckon he has to be a middle to succeed?

hook hook

Juniors
Egans bodyshape is very unusual for a 2nd rower, can you think of another 2nd rower in the NRL who is similar?

I know he is compared to Martin, but Martin is a slightly slimmer frame and has real speed.. Egan is not fully grown yet either, he will fill out.. I reckon he has to be a middle to succeed?
I agree. To me the comparison to Martin is a fair way off. Martin is explosive, whereas Egan is a defensive workhorse. He’d be great in the middle. How often do you see an edge back rower lead the comp in tackles and with outstanding efficiency? To me he’s a middle, I think the days of hard working back rowers are gone, you need to be an attacking weapon to be an edge these days

TheRev

First Grade
Victor Radley and Egan are almost identical I. Weight and height

182cm ish and 95kg

Trying to snap a frame made me realise you probably cant really tell unless they were side by side.. ur right though they arent that different in dimensions, its that explosiveness in movement that seems really different..
2024-06-28_101042.jpg
I just looked him up, Egan actually only 19 (turns 20 in september, or so some random website says), so hes younger than I realised.. he could have played SG Ball if they had wanted him too.... I just cant imagine he gets any slimmer or faster from here though.. surely he just gets 'huge' as he grows into his 20s with more pre-seasons, surely hes a prop within a few years? With his work ethic and skill to have played 2nd row this long, hes a chance of making it in 1st grade for sure.. its a very lightweight mobile pack though with couchmans, egan etc.. anyway its all very interesting.. probably by the time MMolo is gone, he's ready to be the backup first-grader.

Halangahu might take a similar path into the middle.. but he's a different cat.. and again too early to be sure.. Dave Fifita shows a big bloke can play 2nd row.. but u gotta be able to run over/thru/under tacklers too.