What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB: Johns gets downgrade

Ice777 said:
The NRL judiciary are a disgrace and now a laughing stock to every other sporting body in Australia. I've always been of the opinion that no player is ever bigger than the game but it seems like that doesn't apply to A. Johns. The bottom line is that if it was ANY other player other than him then there's no chance in hell it would've been downgraded :roll:

Don't talk rubbish.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/060707/2/sizd.html

"Capping off the penalties from the match, the panel fined Melbourne forward Adem Yze $900 for umpire abuse."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20067520-23211,00.html

"What fate befalls Pettifer? A $900 fine"

http://sport.news.com.au/story/0,8659,20130674-23214,00.html

"Two rounds ago, in the AFL, it appeared Hawthorn's Luke Hodge said similar things to the field umpires as McEnroe said to the central umpire and Johns to the touch judge. No action was taken by the umpires but two who officiated in the Hawthorn-Fremantle match were dropped immediately."

Does a fresh and hungry Andrew Johns scare people?

It should.

We will beat the cowboys this weekend, and we should beat the panthers the w/end after depending on their result this week.

Could still finish as high as 3/4th!

Too all the cretins on here with your snide and catty comments get a life, and BTW I hope we put 50 on you in the finals and funnier still for the people who's teams wont be there.

Hope you enjoy Bali!

strewth_mate

Bench
This is not good. Newcastle already had very little cred because of Johns. The moment he gets injured, or buggers up a game, everyone will run for the whacking sticks.

EDIT - Just a thought: What if the NRL didn't come out suggesting a 3 or 4 match ban? Would anyone be satisfied if they promised 2 and he got 2?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Johns has done himself no favours here in what can only be described as a repeat offence of intimidation and abuse. What makes matters worse for him is the shallow and scripted apology made last night. In those few minutes, Andrew Johns proved beyond all doubt that he has no respect for the officials or fans of the game he plays. He appears to truely believe he is "bigger than the game" and has a lot of people fooled.

The man's actions this week have disgusted me. He blatantly abuses a sideline official and displays the most childish act you can perpetrate on a sporting field - the tantrum - then after the fact and after he has been allowed to cool down he can still not admit that what he did was completely wrong. Then his management further promotes the tantrum with one of their own (and let's face it, to all the people out there who claim it was Johns' management that were spitting and not him - they would not act without his consent) by stating that he'll leave the game if a judicial decision does not favour him. Then we see this backhanded statement of remorse and apology.

To all the Newcastle fans enraged by comments made that he should receive a harsher penalty, I agree that 2 weeks is a fair punishment, but you all cannot deny this one point: Andrew Johns this week has proved beyond all doubt that he is a bad sport.

I eagerly await the "OMGSTFU sook" comments and "witty" crying baby photos (so five years ago BTW) that will only make my point stronger.

Paullyboy

Coach
There are 16 pages and there is no chance Im going to read all of them, so if this has been said 1000 times I apologise.

Rugby league would have been better off if Joey left for union. I cant believe Id ever say that, but he's done his best to make rugby leauge players look like whingeing sooks all year and has done a good job of showing how weak the NRL is by exposing their lack of backbone.

innsaneink

Referee
Frank_Grimes said:
Johns has done himself no favours here in what can only be described as a repeat offence of intimidation and abuse. What makes matters worse for him is the shallow and scripted apology made last night. In those few minutes, Andrew Johns proved beyond all doubt that he has no respect for the officials or fans of the game he plays. He appears to truely believe he is "bigger than the game" and has a lot of people fooled.

The man's actions this week have disgusted me. He blatantly abuses a sideline official and displays the most childish act you can perpetrate on a sporting field - the tantrum - then after the fact and after he has been allowed to cool down he can still not admit that what he did was completely wrong. Then his management further promotes the tantrum with one of their own (and let's face it, to all the people out there who claim it was Johns' management that were spitting and not him - they would not act without his consent) by stating that he'll leave the game if a judicial decision does not favour him. Then we see this backhanded statement of remorse and apology.

To all the Newcastle fans enraged by comments made that he should receive a harsher penalty, I agree that 2 weeks is a fair punishment, but you all cannot deny this one point: Andrew Johns this week has proved beyond all doubt that he is a bad sport.

I eagerly await the "OMGSTFU sook" comments and "witty" crying baby photos (so five years ago BTW) that will only make my point stronger.

My sentiments too, Frank.

Unfortunately, my opinion and respect for "the greatest rugby league player in the world" has nose dived. At one time I held him in quite high regard for someone I'd never met. Not any more.

Great player....but a dead sh*t of a person. Im sure Im not alone here.

Cowboys are legless, they are even worse then us without Joey @ the moment.

Who will win them the match? Payne and Bowen? We have Buderus, Mullen, Gidley's and Thaiday as big attacking options.

And if Panthers get dusted this w/end and I am praying they will, they'll turn up beaten b4 they get on the paddock as they will have nothing to play for.

innsaneink

Referee
LOL...nothing to play for.

Obviously youve never played.

Why did the roosters and waRRIORS WIN LAST WEEK, AFTER ALL THEY "HAD NOTHING TO PLAY FOR".....their seasons arealready over too.

Mate....do us all a favor & wait until all your predictions happen, and then come here and tell us about them, im sure Im not alone in not being interested in your fantasys.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cowboys in townsville are hard to beat regardless of their form. They will be out to prove themselves. I'd much rather fancy the Cowboys than you guys minus Joey. And if you put Kurt Kidley at halfback you are screwed anyway (I haven't see the team yet)! Panthers are tough to beat, especially when they are underdogs.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bicey_18 said:
:lol: :lol: So how can you make a prediction without seeing Newcastle's team??

Mullen is halfback by the way...

If Kidley is 5/8 it is just as bad. He needs his babysitter in the no7 jersey otherwise he turns to crap as usual!:lol:

nqboy

First Grade
Molly said:
I don't understand people commenting and saying that 2 weeks sounds about right. That is what he got originally, then the loading came inot play.

The issue is...GET RID OF THE LOADING and judge each indiscretion on its merits. The loading aspect of penailties is bs and obviously causes a fair bit of confusion..
Disagree. Loading is an inexact science but it's the best method we have for dealing with serial pests.

nqboy

First Grade
Rod said:
I could be wrong but I heard that he ended up with 295 points, so basically he just escaped getting three games. And with 93 carry-over points, that makes 202, so did they give him a two-match ban anyway?

If so I think it was a good decision by the judiciary, two matches seems a fair punishment. And I don't think they downgraded the charge just because it was Joey, charges getting downgraded is not uncommon, and in this case, I think a downgrade was warranted.
Wading through 13 pages or whatever it's been, that's the first detailed explanation I've seen. If it's right, it sounds about right but it's very suspicous how close it was to 300 points and a 3 game ban. Nah, they wouldn't have taken that into consideration, would they? :roll:

nqboy

First Grade
mickdo said:
Contrary Conduct Grade 3 = 325
+ 20% loading + 93 carry over = 483 = 4 weeks
+ 20% loading - 25% early plea + 93 carry over = 385 = 3 weeks

Contrary Conduct Grade 2 = 225
+ 20% loading + 93 carry over = 363 = 3 weeks
+ 20% loading - 25% early plea + 93 carry over = 295 = 2 weeks

So whether he had loading or not, the 93 carry over would have added an extra week in all cases
That depends on whether they add the carryover points and then do the division or not.

nqboy

First Grade
MSIH said:
On other matters, R&BK took on about 15 randoms and carved them all. Classy work from a Knights fan I must say. Big fan of the "Mrs Librarian" call.
:roll: That says more about you than it does about RBK.

Latest posts