What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB: Johns gets downgrade

Mr Saab

Referee
Nickeel said:
No Parramatta fan that I know of disputed J Smith's penalty or the severity thereof.

Nick

So they shouldnt as that decision was a farce. Should have gotten 8 weeks for it.

Cletus

First Grade
People act like he has done something morally wrong.

That's because he did. If he walked up to someone in the street how would they take being called a f**king merkin?

the touch judge that made a blatantly wrong call and cost his team one last chance at winning the game.

I didn't think there was much wrong with the call. Very 50/50 call that didn't go the Knoghts way. And I doubt the Knights would have won with one or two plays left.

Knightmare

Coach
BD5733 said:
Be interesting to see what Johns would get if he takes the next step and pushes a ref like J Smith did.

Just like in this Johns case.....it was the ref that f'ed up then too.

If Joey pushed the ref, I'd have no complaints about him getting 4 weeks. It's an established fact that you don't touch the ref. But for this outburst, even 2 weeks is perhaps a week too long. Players have been blowing up at refs since 1908, to suddenly crack-down on it because Joey lets fly was suss in the extreme, and only supported by the Johns-haters who would approve if the NRL gave Joey an 18 match suspension for farting in the play the ball. BTW- to all you Joey haters> :lol: :lol: :lol:

mxlegend99

Referee
Onan the barbarian said:
That's because he did. If he walked up to someone in the street how would they take being called a f**king merkin?
Depends, what did the guy do to warrant it?

Onan the barbarian said:
I didn't think there was much wrong with the call. Very 50/50 call that didn't go the Knoghts way. And I doubt the Knights would have won with one or two plays left.
50/50 call? It was 100% wrong. Manly knocked the ball on. Manly played at it. That has already been established by the NRL itself. It's also been established that Finch was wrong about the rules and that Clark was 100% wrong in the Raiders vs Tigers game. Although getting those crucial calls wrong doesn't result in punishment.

Yet reacting to them does. :roll:

As a supporter, i can say i've yelled that sh*t at my TV before. Or at the touchies while at the games. When Priddis was dissallowed a fair try against Souths i went nuts. If i were on the field... i'd be tempted to do what Joey did. Since the Touchies and refs very rarely pay for their mistakes.

Have you never sworn at the TV or at a game when a call was made against your team?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Onan the barbarian said:
I didn't think there was much wrong with the call. Very 50/50 call that didn't go the Knoghts way.

Unfortunately the match review committee didn't agree with you.

Knightmare

Coach
skeepe said:
What a joke.

In one fell swoop, the NRL judiciary have given the green light for players to abuse officials. They are the jokes here, along with Johns whose image will be forever tarnished.

Just look at the way Johns has handled himself:

Calls a touchie a "f**king merkin"
Refuses to apologise
Claims the touchie should apologise to him
Gives the media the "two-fingered salute"
Gets his manager to claim he'll take his bat and ball and go home if he's suspended for 4 matches
Gives a false apology (he claimed he never would, right?)
Gets downgraded

f**k me dead. When I used to think Andrew Johns, I would think of a flawed genius. After the way he has conducted himself over this issue, I now think of a smarmy little merkin who think's he's bigger than the game. He will go down in history as one of the most talented yet least loved players to ever play the game.

Andrew Johns thinks he is bigger than the game - and the judiciary agreed. What a sad, sad day for the sport. All you whinging, bitching, moaning Newcastle cretins get your way. Your merkin of a captain will be back for the finals. Well at least you'll have nobody to blame when you get towelled in week 1 and head on out the back door, where most of you love to take it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Go back to Four Corners Skeepe, this is grown-up time.

Knightmare

Coach
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
Agreed the Knights are pethetic without Johns, Just look at last year got the spoon :lol: these next 2 weeks are going to be very entertaining

Yeah, and he only played THREE games for Newcastle in 2004. Care to tell me who came last (or even second last) that year? I could be wrong, but I'm certain the Knights beat the eventual Premiers in a game that year without the bucketarsed maestro. Or maybe that's just a dream I had?
Knights "can't win without Andrew Johns."
Sharks can't win. Full stop.

Knightmare

Coach
Onan the barbarian said:
About the same number of wins Newcastle has without Johns:lol:

At least 3 I can think of
- vs Brisbane, 2004
- vs Canterbury, 2004
- vs Wests Tigers, 2004

That's 3 more games without Joey we won in 1 season than Premierships you've won with any players or coaches in 39 :LOL:

CrazyEel

Bench
3 eh! Sorry mate but maybe you should have just let that one go, don't think 3 from 2 years ago is worth crowing about.

But f**k, to tell the truth I didn't think it was that bad.

Cletus

First Grade
Knightmare said:
At least 3 I can think of
- vs Brisbane, 2004
- vs Canterbury, 2004
- vs Wests Tigers, 2004

That's 3 more games without Joey we won in 1 season than Premierships you've won with any players or coaches in 39 :lol:

So haven't won for over two years? Not one from 10 or so last year?

PS I go for Manly;-)

Knightmare

Coach
No, there are more wins than that, but there's just 3 I can think of. Also, I'm sick of pointing out that fact that last year as well as Joey being gone, so was half the normal line-up, and even when Joey came back Newcastle didn't win immediately.

Cletus

First Grade
Depends, what did the guy do to warrant it?

Say a council ranger gives you a parking ticket. Do you say "f**k you merkin!".

50/50 call? It was 100% wrong. Manly knocked the ball on. Manly played at it. That has already been established by the NRL itself.

Only after a video review. Clarke and Cecchin didn't have a video replay, and if you watch it in real time it doesn't look very definate that he knocked on. Matai looked like he was going for a tackle, and he did tackle him.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lol...heat of the moment excuse! Jeez..I knew it was bad but I didn't think it was THIS bad!

MSIH

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
50/50 call? It was 100% wrong. Manly knocked the ball on. Manly played at it. That has already been established by the NRL itself.

The only person who really knows whether Matai played at the ball is Steve Matai. Proving intent is tough, I don't know how the NRL did it, especially considering they don't even know the off-side rule. Anyway, I highly doubt that call changed the result. It may have, but in all honesty I doubt it.

On other matters, R&BK took on about 15 randoms and carved them all. Classy work from a Knights fan I must say. Big fan of the "Mrs Librarian" call.

Rod

Bench
Not saying it's anything to crow about but just for the record we won eight games without Johns in 2004.

CrazyEel

Bench
Rod said:
Not saying it's anything to crow about but just for the record we won eight games without Johns in 2004.
Thought it was better than just 3, IMO you'll be able to add 2 more games to that over the next few weeks, Cows and Panthers have given it away for the year.