2nd Ashes Test: Australia v England at Adelaide, Dec 2-6 2017

Discussion in 'International Game Day' started by TheParraboy, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

he did, but only a couple from memory, in Brisbane

2. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Also that was against a team without the WSC players.

3. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Smith doesn't seem to rate the idea of part timers and that extends to himself it seems...he barely bowls Maxwell or Cartwright, for example. He seems to like Travis Head but that's about it.

4. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

At your pomp you had McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Kasprowicz all at their peaks, with Lee in the reserves. Stephen Fleming described that as facing three Hadlees.

All due respect to the current crop, but only an attack like that could afford four bowlers for an entire test series. Even then I'm pretty sure Clarke, Hayden, Symo etc. would crank out a few cheap overs if things went on too long.

5. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

you hold that thought whilst we give you a 5-0 thumping yet again

6. Twizzle

we've also got Pattinson who is just as quick and plenty of mongrel, but seems to be broken all the time

he's a decent back up if he ever gets fit, still young too

7. vvvrulz

vvvrulz Coach

Even so, I still don't rate that anywhere near the Aussie attack of the 2000s, which even floored India in their home turf. And that's again kinda the point, all three of Cummins Starc and Patto have had injury problems, doesn't make sense to ask them to bend their backs a little more than usual.

On a side note - it would actually be hilarious if Levers found his way back, I'm no TBS fan but it would be truly diabolical if he was kept out for that hack.

8. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

9. JJ

JJ Referee

Problem with the current team is the batting, which at times folds leaving the bowlers to step up too quickly - never had that issue with the great team - NZ has this problem consistently LOL

10. Twizzle

^^^ Allrounder Mitchell Marsh has been added to Australia's 13-man squad for third Test of the Magellan Ashes series in Perth, where Australia will look to secure the urn.

He is replacing Chad Sayers as the 13th man so yeh, he wont get a run.

Unless they drop Handscombe, would not put it past them

11. JW

JW Coach

Little Darsh incoming.

12. mave

mave Bench

The squad needs more Marshes.

13. Showtime

Showtime Juniors

They won't drop Handscomb....remember they carried George Bailey through the entire Ashes series in 13/14. If we were losing then I reckon he'd be gone.

14. Twizzle

tbh I wouldn't pick Handscombe again, he looked terrible in the second innings

he tried to change his technique while he was batting, he started with a Smudger like technique getting across outside off stump and ended up playing some shots from around leg stump which looked better but lacked footwork

he looked like he was really fighting with himself trying to change things, he needs to get in the nets or state cricket and sort that shit out

15. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...ll-marsh-pace-back-up-fast-bowlers/2017-12-06

looks like what might happen, MMarsh in for Handscomb

Punter gives it to Handcombs technique

"You see a lot of people finish in that position after they've pushed back from their front foot onto their back foot and finish six inches from their stumps, but I've never seen anyone start there," Ponting told cricket.com.au

"That, in itself, could mean there's some sort of issue going on. I'm not sure what it might be but batting back there he's trying to give himself as much time as he possibly can.

"If he's always done it and that's the technique he wants to stick with that's fine, but when you see him start moving his feet like he did today; one ball (he was) two feet outside off stump, the next ball outside leg stump, that's going to make batting pretty difficult.

"There's going to be a few things there that need to be changed as far as I'm concerned.

"If he keeps moving around like he does and moving back in front of his stumps it just looks like he's making batting more difficult for himself."

16. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

He just needs to go back to what worked for him in the past. Who cares where he stands, he's refusing to get onto the front foot and is really planted on the back foot. Yeah he's naturally more of a back foot player but when he cracked the side he was playing drives and sweeps and cuts. Now he looks like he's trying to play everything behind the wicket...

17. Twizzle

Punter has been reading my posts

18. Cherry_poppins

Cherry_poppins Bench

Please pick Big show if we need a failure to come back

Not another f**king Darsh

OVP likes this.
  19. Twizzle

he seemed to be trying to change his technique for what ever reason, I think he has been found out and perhaps going back to what used to work for him may not work if they keep pitching the ball up a lot more, especially if blokes like Andesron keep swinging the ball into his pads

20. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

If he's willing to drive, then pitching it up becomes a scoring opportunity. I don't think he's been found out, and I don't agree with those who say that standing so deep makes him an automatic lbw, if the ball is hitting the pegs it doesn't matter if you're in the crease or on the crease. It's still simply about playing the ball with the bat and the reason he's failing his because he's camped on that back foot and that makes it difficult to play full deliveries. He's clearly struggling for form and confidence and going away from parts of his game, instead trying to rely on what he feels are his base shots. But by doing that he's exposing himself to the fuller delivery

Play a drive son, use the front foot.