What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2ND ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lord's Jul 18-22, 2013

Then put him at number 8 and be done with it. It is pretty clear though that he is an all rounder and I think you’ll find that his spin bowling will be decent at best when it is all said and done.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not hating on the bloke, I think he could be Andrew Symonds like for us. He is good with the bat and handy with the ball but we need a frontline spinner to take wickets. Lyon is worth persevering with IMO.

Just because someone has all round abilities doesn't mean you necessarily play him like that.

Batting at 8 will still give him plenty of opportunities with the bat.

And whether he bats higher will all depend on other circumstances like our bowling depth and how good our top order is.

ATM , our top order is pretty ordinary and our fast bowlers pretty good.

This lends itself to him batting at 8 , which strengthens our line up.

Also , his bowling will be much better than symonds. A quick look at his FC record will tell you that.

I'm not sure where you get the idea his spin bowling will only ever be 'decent' he's taken 33 wickets @ 30 in 11 FC matches at the age of 19. For a spinner of his age that's great going. Especially when you consider he's played half of those matches at the WACA.

He's a genuine spin bowler who also happens to be capable with the bat.

He's more Daniel vettori than Symonds.

Spinners don't peak until their late 20's , heaps of time for him to learn his craft.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think Harris is our most skilled bowler and should get a game before the series could be over.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
FOX SPORTS News ‏@FOXSportsNews 14m BREAKING: Mitchell Starc and Ed Cowan both dropped for the 2nd #Ashes Test. Usman Khawaja and Ryan Harris IN #cricket #ENGvAUS

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well the news is in.

Cowan --> Dropped --> Khawaja
Starc --> Dropped --> Harris

To bad Watson is opening.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Happy with both those decisions. Starc did get 5 wickets but i thought he bowled poorly for the most part.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's a wicket taker but leaks too many boundaries

happy with harry as long as he's not broken

hope they bat Oozie at 3

Yeah , fairly happy with the changes.

I'd like to see Bird given a go as well , but not sure where he fits.

Cowan has played his last test match IMO.

Warner will come back in before him , and I just dont see him putting on the runs that will force a change.

BDR

First Grade
Very happy with Harris, Starc is just too inconsistent for the longer format. If Harris is fit he should be playing every test IMO.

HevyDevy

Coach
As hh said, would have been good to have Bird playing at Lords but very happy to see Rhino there.

Still, it's time Usman delivered now. Give him an extended run for once but he can't under-achieve any longer.

Obv Cowan had to go and Starc is too unpredictable at the moment, leaks too many runs when he doesn't get it right so I like the look of this squad much better than the first Test.

Timbo

Staff member
If England play Finn it won't matter where Hughes bats.

Steepling bounce outside off stump using the Lords slope will kill him.

Latest posts