What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

looks like siddle will stay in the side for the second match

Watch Siddle at Lord's warns Ponting

Expect fiery paceman Peter Siddle to have a big impact on the second Ashes Test at Lord's, warns Australian skipper Ricky Ponting.
Ponting was full of praise for Siddle's gut-busting and menacing final day performance on the slow, flat Sophia Gardens pitch.
A seething Siddle battered England's Graeme Swann black and blue in one brutal spell, with one over just before tea taking 10 minutes as the No.9 needed two separate visits from the team physiotherapist.
Siddle started off by thundering a ball flush onto Swann's left index finger and he needed that to be looked at before two balls later being struck just above the elbow.
The quick stood at the side of the pitch and seemed even more enraged that the batsman had a second chance to regroup between deliveries and have his joints checked out.
Swann returned to face the final ball of the over and it crunched into his right hand.
And Siddle wasn't done with him, directing some choice words and the Englishman was more than happy to fire back.
Tea was taken but straight after Australia continued their assault on Swann.
In dramatic fashion, Ponting tapped his chest and made a flinching gesture to signify where he wanted Siddle to deliver the ball at Swann.
Siddle followed orders and soon after a ball bounced off Swann's helmet before the off-spinner eventually outlasted a tiring Siddle.
Ponting later praised Siddle, whose figures of 1-51 off 18 overs did not do him justice.
"I love everything about Peter Siddle for that exact reason, the things he did today," Ponting said.
"Charging in and continuing to charge in until you tell him to stop.
'There's nothing less than 100 per cent effort from him every time he's got the ball in his hand and that's what I love about him.
"He's great to have around our group.
"His style of bowling, there wasn't obviously much in the track from him.
"He'll bowl a lot better at Lord's and with him not playing the last practice match .... he'll be in a lot better shape for next week too."
Following the dramatic draw at Sophia Gardens, the second Test starts at Lord's on Thursday.
No doubt Siddle will be salivating at the chance of having another shot at Swann.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/cricket/ponting-backs-siddle/2009/07/13/1247337062307.html

Clark in for either Hilfy or Hauritz? or not at all?

Last edited:

Matt23

Staff member
Siddle was rubbish on the last day of the first test...too much short stuff, when he really should have been at least making Anderson & Penesar play

caylo

Bench
Siddle was rubbish on the last day of the first test...too much short stuff, when he really should have been at least making Anderson & Penesar play

Siddle has to bowl back of a length (McGrath line) or he wont be effective on these wickets. Clark should be there, if for Haurie, Hifly, Johnson or Siddle, because he is the best bowler in the country IMO. Clark at 130km/h is more difficult to play then Lee at his best because he can swing, cut or seam the ball. On the cardiff pitch I think he could have extrated alot of cut early and prob would have taken a bag full of wickets.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Clark in for either Hilfy or Hauritz? or not at all?

my gut feeling is not at all

I really think Siddle will be a good bowler, just needs more overs under his belt and needs to get match fit

anyone see the back page and how they were saying that Notch's mums press release has really upset him and thats why he bowled sh*t, not sure how much truth is in that

If I know our selectors and Punters manlub, they will pick the same 11

they will support Notch and Siddle, Hilfy was our best bowler and those couple of tail enders that Hauri got made his figures look better than the pommie spinners

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Foxsports are reporting this morning how Lords is a pace friendly pitch and the Aussies are seriously considering Clark instead of Hauri.

We can only hope.

JJ

Immortal
Foxsports are reporting this morning how Lords is a pace friendly pitch and the Aussies are seriously considering Clark instead of Hauri.

We can only hope.

You would think so, regardless of whether he outperformed the English spinners Hauritz is mediocre... surely North and Clarke can fill in overs should there be a need... I guess if there are 4 pace bowlers the issue of over rates might come up again though

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I would go wiht the 4 quicks.

Punter and Co keep mentioning how Hauri was our best bowler statistically, but they were predominantly tail enders in the first innings, and KP throwing his wicket away a couple of times.

When the chips were down and we needed wickets on the last day, Hauri could get the bunnies out on a turner, and Lords wont be anywhere near as spin friendly as Cardiff.

Although thats just my view, our selectors seem to be statistician lately and will probably just look at the fact that he got 6 or so wickets.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
We need to play bowlers who the poms dont want to face

If Darts plays it gives the poms a great chance to win at lords for the first time since 1934 imo