What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

IanG

Coach
We simply weren't good enough in the first innings. But to Australia's credit we didn't go down without a fight.

Dundotron

Juniors
It was so disappointing to watch. They had a slim chance to will on the last day but they just couldn't handle flintoff.

WireMan

Bench
We dominated this text from start to finish, a few bad decisions didn't affect it much. You lot dominated the first test though , so this series is far from over and i don't think you should change to much off your team. Bring back Lee if he is fit. Sometimes a team doesn't play well. It happens.

Listening to the radio here and Jason Gillespie comes across as a top bloke. He had good banter with Stewart through the match and took defeat well. Was good in the first test also.

Oh and YEAH!!!!! Get in!!! :D:crazy: :D

TimmyB

Juniors
Look, there were a number of poor decisions.

Hussey clearly didn't hit the ball, Strauss didn't catch Hughes (though I don't think there was anything untoward on his part) and Katich was a noball.

At the same time, England played better cricket than us. When one team plays better cricket, or one team plays poorer cricket, it tends to exacerbate or even result with the calls going the way of the dominating team. Sure Flintoff's ball was a no ball, but if Katich doesn't play a loose stroke he doesn't get out. Same for Hussey and Katich.

I'm not excusing the decisions, I just think it's prudent to note that we lost because England were better than us.

El Diablo

Post Whore
and Ponting was given out wrongly in the 1st innings because the pommy umpire didn't tell Rudi he didn't hit it when it went to the video

Fein

First Grade
Look, there were a number of poor decisions.

Hussey clearly didn't hit the ball, Strauss didn't catch Hughes (though I don't think there was anything untoward on his part) and Katich was a noball.

At the same time, England played better cricket than us. When one team plays better cricket, or one team plays poorer cricket, it tends to exacerbate or even result with the calls going the way of the dominating team. Sure Flintoff's ball was a no ball, but if Katich doesn't play a loose stroke he doesn't get out. Same for Hussey and Katich.

I'm not excusing the decisions, I just think it's prudent to note that we lost because England were better than us.

It was a great test match.

A magnificent wicket first and foremost, if only they were all like that.

The game of Cricket can be a harsh judge and Australia have felt that in these two tests.

I'm still confident we can win the series but Stuart Clarke MUST be in the bowling line up for that to be assured.

TimmyB

Juniors
and Ponting was given out wrongly in the 1st innings because the pommy umpire didn't tell Rudi he didn't hit it when it went to the video
True, but in any case he couldn't argue if he'd been given LBW, so hardly match changing.

eddiesmith

Juniors
Because he cant, he was only asked to rule on ball carrying, he cannot rule on whether it was hit or not

El Diablo

Post Whore
Because he cant, he was only asked to rule on ball carrying, he cannot rule on whether it was hit or not

wrong

he can and should've. Matthews read the rule stating it on SBS

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport...-ponting-wicket/2009/07/19/1247865331527.html

Umpires fluff Ponting wicket

Chloe Saltau
July 19, 2009

THE reason for Ricky Ponting's anger over his confusing dismissal at Lord's has been revealed.

Ponting was given out caught at second slip off the bowling of Jimmy Anderson after a long-winded process that saw umpire Rudi Koertzen refer the matter to TV umpire Nigel Llong to check whether the ball had carried.

By the time Ponting had reached the dressing room it was clear the ball had come off his pad, but the assumption was that Llong did not have the authority to overturn the decision.

Australia's captain and best batsman knew differently and the International Cricket Council has since explained that Llong should in fact have informed Koertzen that the television replays had revealed Ponting did not hit the ball.

Rule 3.2.3 governing clean catches reads, in part: "The third umpire has to determine whether the batsman has been caught. But when reviewing the television replay(s), if it is clear to the third umpire that the batsman did not hit the ball, he shall indicate that the batsman is not out."

From October, players will be able to challenge decisions they feel are incorrect, but the lack of a referral system for the Ashes should not have kept Llong from telling Koerzten Ponting did not hit the ball. Also, Anderson was appealing for lbw while behind the wicket they appealed for a catch.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the poms were simply too good at Lords, but are they gonna miss Freddy, much like we miss Pidge

makes the series very interesting, we cant afford to loose another one

Flintoff brilliance, Johnson inepitude and the bad decisions against the Australians in the 2nd inning were the difference in this game.

Also don't diminish Flintoff's role as a great motivator for the English team. Once he is gone, England will become a hollow shell of their former selves and that shell wasn't that crash hot to begin with.

JJ

Immortal
why not blame the umpires?

did you not watch the test :?

:lol: when Australia's been the beneficiary of umpiring incompetence you've ridiculed others that complained... how times have changed...

In all seriousness, poor umpiring has benefited and cost teams as long as cricket has been played... so, stop sooking, the better team over 5 days won

England dominated the test... end of discussion really, apart from Clarke and Haddin's partnership, Australia resembled a NZ team - incredibly poor batting, inept shot selection and a bunch of nuffy medium pacers that can't maintain line and length, and a spinner that can't turn the ball..

Also, I thinkl it was Rod Marsh that called Andrew Jones the worst player he'd ever seen when he first saw his footwork etc... well, Phil Hughes is much worse :lol: recall, Jones actually had a very good career, and Hughes might too - but at the moment Flintoff is toying with him

Last edited:

HevyDevy

Coach
I can't believe people are still criticising Hauritz. He is one of only two Aussie bowlers that have done their job.

Johnson and Siddle ... the less said the better.

Spike

First Grade
just for you Spike, brother :cool:
bowdown.gif