What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

TimmyB

Juniors
Broad > Johnson (on form) - Absurd. Johnson at his very worst is better.

Did you actually watch the test match that passed? Johnson was awful and basically cost us the match with his first innings performance. At least Broad can hold up an end, something Johnson can't do at his worst.

JJ

Immortal
Did you actually watch the test match that passed? Johnson was awful and basically cost us the match with his first innings performance. At least Broad can hold up an end, something Johnson can't do at his worst.

was wondering that myself... not sure if Johnson was at his worst... whether he was or not, hard to argue he was better than Broad

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Clark just has to come straight back in to the side, even if he doesn't run through the Poms at least he will be able to tie the batsman down. Something none of the other bowlers have been capable of doing.

FMD

this joker is actually serious

one or two :lol:

Wow! Taking my opinion to heart aren't you. Still if you keep saying how hard done by we were, the unpires will surely read this and change the result. You may notice a few others saying that the few bad decisions are not why Aus lost but hey who cares. Enjoy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wow! Taking my opinion to heart aren't you. Still if you keep saying how hard done by we were, the unpires will surely read this and change the result. You may notice a few others saying that the few bad decisions are not why Aus lost but hey who cares. Enjoy.

Soap.jpg

Fein

First Grade

Yes I did and I agree Johnson was atrocious but did you honestly think Broad was any good?

Johnson will improve.

I can't see Broad improving.

Red Bear

Referee
Broad is a f**king useless bowler.

As is Johnson at the moment, although he has improvement in him.

Swann seems a much better bowler than Hauritz, gets drift and turn, but Hauritz has taken wickets.

Our batting lineup underperformed in the first innings, if we'd even notched another 100 runs we would've been much better placed, but we didnt and now we need a good performance in the tour match to get some confidence back.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Well played England, too good. Awesome spell yet again by Freddie. What a champion. I was glad I put myself through that spell to see him get a 5-for in his last Test appearance at Lords.

I really like this Swann guy hey. Really likeable, good with bat and ball. Nice find.

As for us, brave fightback. Johnson will probably keep his spot if only because of his all-round value. Fact remains, he is struggling in these conditions. Gillespie did too. Warne struggled in India. It happens. I think we need to bring in Clark, possibly Lee. I think Siddle can improve more so than Johnson if anything because Siddle's seam position will see the ball swing. Johnson's won't.

Disappointed in the meek last day peformances of Haddin and Clarke. The stage was set. They surrendered meekly. Harsh, but the reality is, the dismissals were lame. Both looked uncomfortable under pressure whereas Johnson seemed to enjoy it.

Nice job England, too good.

Matt23

Staff member
For the third test, Johnson & Siddle :arrow: Lee & Clark in...won't happen though.

Blaze

Juniors
Disagree with JJ here. I think Aus are clearly the better side and should still retain the Ashes. The current England side is very inconsistent and the batting line up is especially prone to self imploding. They lost a test (and a number of sessions) to NZ last year ffs. Say what you like about the Aussie bowling attack being average, but they still managed to do the job in South Africa. The tour game should help the bowlers pick up some form. Would love Clark to come back into the side. He is a proven performer at Test match level.

JJ

Immortal
Disagree with JJ here. I think Aus are clearly the better side and should still retain the Ashes. The current England side is very inconsistent and the batting line up is especially prone to self imploding. They lost a test (and a number of sessions) to NZ last year ffs. Say what you like about the Aussie bowling attack being average, but they still managed to do the job in South Africa. The tour game should help the bowlers pick up some form. Would love Clark to come back into the side. He is a proven performer at Test match level.
yep - I said they match up reasonably well, and it's a terrific series

Flintoff seems pretty focused on going out on a high... In RSA Johnson did the job, the rest were adequate... and Johnson has some serious problems at the moment - I don't know who's going to win, but I think a lot will depend on whether Johnson finds form - even given the frailties of the Pom batting, none of Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Lee, Clark or hauritz seem likely to swing this test series... and like the Poms depending on Strauss, KP and Collingwood - Aust will rely heavily on Katich, Ponting and Clarke....

I think Aust are slightly the better side, but the series could go either way - all we've learned from the first two tests is both sides have character, and both sides are capable of playing a very good test, and a very bad one!

TimmyB

Juniors
Yes I did and I agree Johnson was atrocious but did you honestly think Broad was any good?

Johnson will improve.

I can't see Broad improving.

Broad definitely had the odd good spell in my opinion. In particular I thought he was very good in the spell that yielded Ponting's wicket in the second innings and in the spell that took Haddin and Johnson. Whilst they were both poor shots, he bowled consistently well in the latter spell, line and length at 140+.

He's certainly no superstar, but he played a role and did his job. The way Johnson bowling he could never ever do that.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
Broad definitely had the odd good spell in my opinion. In particular I thought he was very good in the spell that yielded Ponting's wicket in the second innings and in the spell that took Haddin and Johnson. Whilst they were both poor shots, he bowled consistently well in the spell, line and length at 140+.

He's certainly no superstar, but he played a role and did his job. The way Johnson bowling he could never ever do that.

Johnson was out to some crazy "f**k it we're gone" shot to one of their spinners. What are you talking about?

Fein

First Grade
Broad definitely had the odd good spell in my opinion. In particular I thought he was very good in the spell that yielded Ponting's wicket in the second innings and in the spell that took Haddin and Johnson. Whilst they were both poor shots, he bowled consistently well in the latter spell, line and length at 140+.

One of big things to go England's way so far has been winning the toss and batting first.

It would be interesting to see how Broad's figures stack up against Johnson's if the roles were reversed.

That said, if Johnson is bowling poorly and Broad is "doing his job" then there surely cannot be much hope for Broad.

Test 1.

Johnson 44 overs 6 maidens runs 131 wickets 5 econ. 2.98
Broad 32 6 127 1 4.03

Test 2.

Johnson 38.4 4 171 3 4.45
Broad 34 4 127 3 3.74